.NET Framework 1.1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

While doing a system check i determined mscoree.dll is missing. I do not have .NET Framework 1.1 installed, so i believe that would explain the missing .dll.......
    my question is do i need .NET Framework 1.1 on my stand alone computer to run some Windows programs or can i leave well enough alone?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Some softwares require indeed .NET Framework, that's my experience and these softwares mention this usually in their minimum requirements.

3. Rainwalker

Thanks Erik.......i am wondering if those softwares might be used by developers..........or might any type of software use the program...any thoughts :doubt:

4. ErikAlbert

.NET Framework is required for any program written in the new Microsoft Visual Studio programming languages (C++, C# and Visual Basic).

If you wait long enough other members will give better answers, but that's what I know, not much but enough LOL.

5. Rainwalker

From what i can determine this program is used by mobile units and if needed to run an app, the vendor would notify the client. This causes me to think i don't have to download it unless i use mobile or receive notification that it is required. Is this thinking correct?

6. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

My video card software needs net framework to run properly...the TV part of it.

7. ErikAlbert

You don't need .NET Framework, if you don't have any software that requires .NET Framework.
    I had several softwares that required .NET Framework, but I don't remember the names, because I ditched them.

8. Rainwalker

OK BJ..........did you have NET Framework 1.1 installed when you installed your card stuff..........or did you receive a notice saying you needed to install it ?

9. Rainwalker

Ok Erik......what would you say to post # 8 ?

10. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

No I had it all installed. Later for the update to install properly they recommended to download and install Net Framework first. If I stayed with the older version I didn`t need it.

11. Rainwalker

Ok.thanks BJ :)

12. myadvice

myadvice Guest

My advice is to avoid it unless you really need it. Why run more M$ components when it's bound to have new as of yet unrecoginized flaws (that hacker could take advantage of) in it. It is M$ we're talking about here after all LOL. ;)

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I use 2 programs that require .NET. So I initially passed on them. But I visited their sites every so often. Then they both made runtimes for people who didn't want run .NET.:D One is nLite can't remember the other.

14. Rainwalker

Greetings myadvice..................you are a mind reader :D

15. Alec

Alec Registered Member

If you are not sure whether you need the .NET Framework Runtime or not, then you do not need it. Have fun and don't worry about it. However, eventually you will likely run across a program that may require it. I have .NET on my computer and so I am unsure as to the exact message you will get if you don't have it and you do try to run a .NET app on your system. However I am sure that you will get some sort of notice; whether in the form of a very cryptic missing DLL error or in the form of a clear "You need the .NET Framework Runtime" message box, I don't know.

I believe that the current version of the .NET Framework is actually 2.0.50727. However, .NET apps can be coded so that they require a specific version of the .NET Framework and it is possible to have multiple versions of the .NET Framework installed on your machine side-by-side. I currently have both 1.1.4322 installed as well as 2.0.50727.

The .NET Framework Runtime is a set of DLLs that supports the execution of .NET applications or "managed" applications produced by the latest Microsoft Visual Studio developer tools. You can sort of think of it like the Visual Basic Runtime DLLs that were required to run VB apps a few years ago. Actually almost all of your programs require runtime library DLLs like MSVCRT.DLL, MSVCR71.DLL, MSVCP71.DLL, etc. as well as a multitude of other OS and infrastructure DLLs, it's just that these DLLs ship with Windows and you don't normally realize or concern yourself with their existance. The .NET Framework provides a lot of services for programmers, but there are some tradeoffs to be made too... as well as a learning curve. The .NET Framework is largely being currently used by Corporate developers and other in-house custom development projects. Most professional "shrink-wrapped" application developers are not currently using it. However, I would expect that you will begin to see more and more apps requiring it as the new development tools really are pretty slick and as both hobbiests and professionals begin to embrace it more. Contrary to what was previously said, or implied, it is not impossible to make a conventional, "unmanaged", "native" application with the latest version of Visual C++. In fact, many professional programmers may upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 and will likely continue to write natively-compiled, unmanaged C++ code; but they may also begin to venture forth into writing and experimenting with C# and ASP.NET code as well.

16. Rainwalker

Nice job :) Thank you Alec

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.