New Toshiba Satellite M45-S169 problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmk94903, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I tested my TI 8 Build 937 and TI 9 Build 2302 Recovery CDs on a newly purchased Toshiba notebook. The full version fails to boot in both cases hanging with the "Loading, please wait" message on the screen. The "quiet acpi = off no apic" didn't help.

The TI 9 Safe version will boot successfully, but the USB drive cannot be accessed. Too bad.

2. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Try TI8 v826 and/or v796 if you have it.

3. jmk94903

I almost did that, but I was running out of time, so I made a new partition instead. Now, I don't have the machine available. Darn, wish I had tried earlier versions of 8 just to know. Similarly, I wanted to try the Bart PE disk, but, as I said, I had to get the system set up for delivery and ran out of time.

The good thing about being a computer tech is that I get to play with new hardware. :)

4. quickdraw

quickdraw Registered Member

You also might want to wait a little longer :) I've got a Toshiba M205 S810 with an external drive that takes like 10 mins for everything to load up via the boot disc I made with TI 8.0 (build 937). It seems to hang at that very same spot you mentioned, but it just takes an incredibly long time to load it all up into memory.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jmk94903,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please do as quickdraw has suggested and wait a little longer for the boot process to finish. Let me know the result.

Please also note that I've forwarded this information to our Testing Team and they will certainly do their best in order to find out the reason for the problem.

P.S. In case you will be able to boot from Acronis True Image 9.0 Bootable Rescue CD, please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt file) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you will not be able to create a sysinfo.txt file for some reasons then please boot from the Acronis True Image 9.0 rescue disc once more and press F11 key when the selection screen appears.

After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens.

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:
    - Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Alexey Popov. Attach the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. I'll forward this information to our Testing Team and it will certainly help them to find out the reason for such a long boot time faster.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Acronis Support

Hello quickdraw,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please create Acronis Report and Linux system information and send them to me as it is described in my above post addressed to jmk94903?

This information will help us to investigate and resolve the problem with Toshiba Satellite M45-S169 laptop faster.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. quickdraw

quickdraw Registered Member

Hello Alexey,

In regards to your request. First, I don't think I'll be able to because of not having a floppy on my Toshiba Tablet (but if it's possible let me know). Also, how would one of those reports, which would include info on my system, which is NOT a Toshiba Sattellite, help you troubleshoot this other user problem? I also must inform you that I am still using TI 8.0 build 937.

If after reading the above you conclude that your request is still valid/and doable even without a floppy, let me know what I must do to help.

QD

8. Acronis Support

Hello quickdraw,

I'm sorry for not being attentive enough, I thought you were using the same Toshiba Satellite M45-S169 laptop as jmk94903. Please disregard my previous post.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. Acronis Support

Hello jmk94903,

Please download and install the latest build (2323) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with the Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2323) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please try to create Linux system information and send it to me in the way described in my previous post #5.

If you do not have a floppy drive, but do have a flash drive then you can save that sysinfo.txt file to a flash drive in the following way:

Format your flash disk to one of the following file systems: ext2, ext3, FAT32;

Boot from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a Flash disk to a USB port and issue the following commands:

# cat /proc/partitions

This will give you the list of partitions/drives available in your system.

For example:

8 0 127744 scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

3 0 80417183 ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

3 1 10241406 ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

3 2 20482875 ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2

3 3 1020127 ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3

Flash drive is visible as 'scsi'. If there are some scsi devices in your system you may find your flash by partition/drive size. If the flash is partitioned it`ll bring the list of partitions as well.

Then you need to create a mount point for your flash and mount it.

# mkdir /mnt/tmp

# mount -t auto /devfs/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc /mnt/tmp

There could be some warnings but its safe to ignore them. If mount fails you may try to use 'vfat'(if the flash is formatted to FAT file system) or 'ext3fs' or 'ext2fs' (if its formatted to ext3 or ext2) parameter instead of 'auto' .

Make a directory on your flash drive to save files there:

# mkdir /mnt/tmp/sysinfo

Check whether the drive is mounted correctly for write access:

#ls /mnt/tmp

This will give a list of files/folders located on the drive.

Save 'sysinfo' and unmount the flash drive:

# sysinfo > /mnt/tmp/sysinfo/sysinfo.txt

# umount /mnt/tmp

Collect the created sysinfo.txt file from the flash drive.

Please let me know if you will not be able to create that sysinfo.txt file, I'll look for the other opportunities to investigate this problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  10. jmk94903

Hi Alexey,

I wish I had waited 10 minutes or more to see if the system would have booted, but I just didn't think it could take that long.

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the system. I was setting it up for the owner who has now moved out of the state. The tests with the TI boot CDs were just for my education on TI with this new notebook.

11. Acronis Support

Hello John,

It is a pity, since I'm afraid we will not be able to proceed with the investigation of this problem in this case.

However, if you will get the access to this particular system some day, please let me know.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. starlove

starlove Registered Member

Hi

I have similar problem to this. I tried to boot my new purrchased laptop by using the Rescue bootable cd created by Acronis TrueImage 8.0 (Build 937) got the following error:
    The laptop can boot by the cd but got the following errors after the Acronis logo screen as:
    ide0: port already is use skipping probe
    ide1: port already is use skipping probe

then Acronis is loaded BUT there is no cd drive available to choose from since I have put my img file on dvd.

Loptop Model:
    Toshiba A100/4600

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I've closed this old thread - let's keep the discussion in the new thread you've started and please avoid duplicate postings; they only make for a mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.