Norton 2006 or Avg Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by maddawgz, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Which is better I know avg is getting 100% on the bulletins now? I was a bit hesitant to put Norton on cuz of bulk? as avg was lighter but i was surpised But which has better detection?? Thanks MD o_O

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

In my experience I would have to go with Nav 2006 without a doubt.

3. maddawgz

Thanx Big C yeah my though'ts too !! :)

4. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hi bigc. Does this mean you got your copy of NAV 2006? If so, what's your assessment of the new NAV? From my readings in forums, it seems to be getting good reviews from users.

5. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

NAV2006 over AVG ! Better detection and , in most cases , this new version does not seem to slow things down as much as the other versions have . Just my experience

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I only advice you to not install any program from Norton...

7. maddawgz

hymmm dunno she's pretty lightweight so far!! That's without systemworks

bwt anyone konw what this protection centre do? cuz it disabled my Winxp Firewall?? do i re-enable it? thnx md
    Hey hollywood hyb?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  8. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i agree Whit you, i wont install anything program from Norton to, you have to have 10 ruining processes and you will end with 2 virus on the road

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I disagree with both of you. Im no expert but those who are say you should not worry too much about the number of processes.:p I was well protected when I used Norton.

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Not the best way to judge overall detection rates. Even "average" scanners, such as QuickHeal, VirusBuster, and Ahnlab are picking up VB 100% awards.

However, if you look at a variety of testing sites, which include both ITW and zoo malware, Norton has by far a better detection rate than AVG.
    If you have a fairly new machine with sufficient memory then, IME, the recent versions of Norton should not slow you down. With a decent sized hard-disc and with new computers coming with 1GB memory as standard, Norton should not be considered as bloatware.

It's only judged as bloatware on older machines and against low footprint scanners such as Dr Web or F-Prot. IME, Norton 2005/6 runs very well on a decent spec computer.

11. maddawgz

Thanks Blackcat i run 385mb? 80 gig!! Win xp sp2!! And shes great!!... Not only that i noticed my browsing system actually runs better strange that is bizzare, perhaps its configured it or somthing anyhow happy here ill do a snapshot while its clean and no biggy if i end up with a bad virus ill just snapshotback :D

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Isn't only the number of processes, but also what Norton program do on your registry... ;)

13. bigc73542

My registry works just fine running Norton and has in the past. I haven't noticed anything detrimental done to the registry in years of running norton products. What are you referring to about the registry useing norton.

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The amount of registry entries created by Norton...
    The uninstall utilities also create another problems...
    Its programs are very bad for a big company like Norton size...

You can like Norton programs, but I definitively don't...

15. bigc73542

Agreed. it is a personal preference. Thanks for your input.;)
    bigc

16. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I would choose Norton 2006. It's detection rates are far superior to avg pro...according to av-comparatives. If I remember correctly, Norton came in second place behind kav in detection rates in the last av-comparatives.

I never thought I would be reccomending norton. However, A new pc may be purchased in the future. Like in the next 60 days. Guess what antivirus it comes installed with? :) Yep, Norton. :D

90 day free trial. I'll see what happens after I start running it. Never had a problem with norton as far as detection goes when I ran it. I used to run the 2002 version. I did have a problem with liveupdate crashing my computer every other day. I've heard this has been taken care of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.