How to create bootable rescue DVD(s):

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wdormann, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dick471

dick471 Registered Member

PS: All of the above is using Acronis True Image 9.2891 version (NOT :cool:.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello again dick471,

I'm glad to hear that you finally managed to create a boot rescue DVD but it should not have turned out to be so difficult!! I really have no idea why your UltraIso v7.6.5.1225 halts partway through saving the ISO file o_O.

Regards

3. dick471

I will uninstall and reinstall UltraISO and see if that helps. Thanks again, and the Beefeaters was great!

4. dick471

FIXED: I uninstalled UltraISO 7.6.5, ran RegistryFinder and deleted all keys including older version of Ultra, reinstalled 7.6.5. It now makes a perfect .iso file as per your instructions. Will now do this for NT, XP+sp1, and XP+sp2.:D

5. Menorcaman

Excellent!! Happy imaging :D.

Regards

6. SCClockDr

SCClockDr Registered Member

Question:

How to select 635MB? The only option close is 650MB. Is there an alternative way to specify this archive size?

Thanks George

7. lostinthyme

lostinthyme Registered Member

Having successfully used 'Menorcamen' 's excellent tutorial & UltraISO I wondered about this initially also. This may be incorrect but in effort to reproduce his excellent specs I simply manually edited in "625MD" & it was completely happy.

Someone should nudge Acronis support to tie numerous question's to this thread when they state isn’t possible to backup to DVD - yes it is & if I can do it anyone can - trust me on that!
    (backing up to DVD for travelling notebook with single HD is a simple & excellent back-up for the road)
    Regards!

8. Menorcaman

Hello George,

Ignore the dropdown picklist and just type in the size manually (see TI 9.0 screenshot below).

Regards

Attached Files:

9. SCClockDr

SCClockDr Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I tried that already without success. After reading your responses I tried again using "635 MB" vs attempting to duplicate the listed options with the 635 replacing the number suggested. Your way worked like a charm. Thanks!!!
    George

10. John M. Dlugosz

John M. Dlugosz Registered Member

I saw the instructions and ensuing commentary, and can only wonder... why?

The normal CD boots. Why can't you just add files to the ISO image, to use after booting?

Instead, you use some other multi-boot loader to point to the original boot files. What is the purpose of that?

--John

11. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

why don't you just try that and then you will wonder no longer!

12. Menorcaman

hello John,

I guess most of us find 1 or 2 DVDs far more convenient and less error prone than 9 or 10 CDs!! Still, each to their own I suppose :doubt:.

Regards

13. beenthereb4

Due to the fact that the True Image ISO is a Linux CD and the issue that all the versions that I tried this (adding files to the ISO) with would not boot, I concluded it would not work.

14. Menorcaman

Hi beenthereb4,

I'm not sure what CD/DVD recording software you use but, using Nero, you can indeed add a suitable sized .tib file to an Acronis boot rescue CD by electing to create a CD-ROM (ISO) compilation and choosing the option to "Continue Multisession disc". I also ensure the disk is "finalised" after burning and find that the resultant CD then still boots.

I assumed John knew about this requirement and had tested his theory before posting. But then again, perhaps not ;).

Kind regards

15. beenthereb4

Ummm, isn't this different than "Adding files to the ISO" as he suggested? Wouldn't adding files to the ISO be done by UltraIso or WinIso or the like? The problem with multisession CDs is that not all drives can read them. Of course, sticking them back in the same drive (or almost any burner) will work.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  16. boulmiche

boulmiche Registered Member

Hi
    Interesting stuff u have here, good job. a couple of questions:
    1-when I extract the cdshell zip file and check the cdshell.ini, I see that it doesn't contain the same lines as mr Cleversod says, in mine I see:
    script bcds/bcds.ini. what should it be inside this file?
    2- there's a new CD Shell 2.1.6 @ www.cdshell.org, is it the one? that one contains the cdshell-ini that Cleversod refers to.
    Now I'm totally confused.
    Anyways I'll keep trying working on this bootable DVD.
    I think ur input has to be updated so it points to the right downloads.
    many thanx

17. boulmiche

Hi again
    while booting from DVD, got this error message:
    Error: File not found
    [command: bcdw] [Line: 1.1] [file: bcds /bcds.ini]

what does this mean?
    hope getting some little help :)

18. boulmiche

Great job...what can I say more.
    one simple question:
    is there any way to automatize the procedure (as in Ghost bootable cd/dvd)to reach the point that u just with one click can restore from dvd to e.g. C:\ o_O
    keep up the god work :)

19. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

There are several methods for creating a bootable DVD here. Mine is first the first post in the thread, and there are methods that don't even require CDShell, I believe. I haven't investigated those other methods, so I cannot vouch for them. Or even tell you where they are in this thread. :)

Whichever method you choose, just make sure that you follow the instructions exactly and do not mix steps from the different methods. Versions of the tools other than the specified ones may not work.

20. boulmiche

thanx for replying
    is there any way to automatize the procedure as I explained before?

21. beenthereb4

Not unless you are a fairly sophisticated Linux programmer, otherwise there is no simple way.

22. Menorcaman

Hello boulmiche,

I would guess you were trying to use wdormann's original procedure? As acknowledged in subsequent posts, this doesn't work if using the latest version of CDshell (you need to use his special combined CDshell/BCDW file that's based on an earlier version of CDshell). Hence reason I posted a different procedure at #26 on Page 2 of this thread, which only uses WinISO plus BCDW and does away with the need for CDshell altogether. This works for both TI 8 and TI 9.

Alternatively, you could use the latest UltraISO based procedure at #171 on Page 7 that also works with both TI 8 and TI 9 (the earlier UltraISO procedure at #117 on Page 5 only works for TI :cool:.

Regards

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  23. Trying2

Trying2 Guest

I followed the instructions - ulraiso one- and it worked!!!!!!!!!!!thx.

24. Trying2

Trying2 Guest

me again.

i was wondering about the possibility of createing " a booteable rescue 'dual layer' DVD? "
    ie in cases where the image of my hd exceeds a couple of dvdrs, so inorder to have only one disc, put the images all in a dual layer dvd.

1. can i follow the above procedures w. ultraiso, onto a dual layer disk? i have a nec 2510a dual layer burning firmware 2.18 & ritek dual layer discs +r

2.i have nero 6.6.18

3 never burnt dual layers b4 - do i need to reset anything? or just treat it like a normal dvd in the burning software?

4. any dual layer burning guides/steps out there?

5. had the burner for 2 yrs and never had a chance to use it for dual layer burning

any help would be appreciated.

25. Menorcaman

Hello Trying2,

Glad you found the instructions helpful. Unfortunately, I don't have a dual layer DVD recorder (yet!) so can't confirm if the same procedure can be used. Perhaps someone out there is willing to risk a blank dual layer disk in order to find out?

However, given the unpredictabilty of burning very large data files to optical media and the current high price of a dual layer DVD+/R disk, it could turn out to be an expensive strategy. Personally, I would prefer to use two (or more) single layer DVD+/-R or RW disks, at least until dual layer rewritable DVDs hit the mainstream.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.