Restoring full image to bigger HD - Partitions Problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Cyrill, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyrill

Cyrill Guest

Hi !

I just created an image of a 20GB hard drive with Windows XP and all files and software because it was getting very low in disk space. I restored the image on a 200GB HD but it created a partition of 20GB and left the other 180GB unallocated.

How can I make sure that the restored image doesn't create its own partition 20GB partition but rather goes as a part of the 200GB one ?

I bought "Partition Manager" and tried to merge the 2 partitions but it doesn't seem to be working.

Please help me, I'm getting desperate.

Thanks in advance !

Cyrill

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

You should be using the 'clone' function to copy everything from your 20GB hard drive to your new 200GB drive. It's the easiest way to migrate your system to a larger disk and make use of all the space that is available.

3. Cyrill

Cyrill Guest

Thank you for your answer !

I just went through the "Clone Disk" process and I didn't see any option to resize the partition... Can you just tell me at what point I should be able to do this ?

Thanks !

Cyrill

4. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

You can either do an automatic clone but I would recommend that you choose the manual option. The clone wizard takes you step by step and you just need to select suitable options. Make sure that ...

1. Select to delete any partitions on the destination drive as you will probably still have the restored partition from your earlier attempt.

2. Choose the method of moving data as either proportional or manual but not as is which will create a partition the same size as the original on your old disk.

If you haven't read the User Guide then you can get it here:

http://download.acronis.com/pdf/trueimage8.0_ug.en.pdf

Read Chapter 7 beginning on page 38 and it should tell you all you need to know.

Good luck and give it a try. It's really very easy to use and if you make a mistake just run it again until you get the result you want.

Good luck!

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Cyrill,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you restore an image archive of the entire hard disk including the master boot record (MBR), then you cannot resize the partitions. There are two possible workarounds, if you need to restore the partitions with resizing while the MBR is also restored.

- Restore the entire hard disk without resizing and then restore each of the partitions separately setting the proper size for it and overwriting the previously restored one.

- Restore the partitions separately resizing them and then fix the MBR manually by one of the below ways:

1) Boot the computer from Windows 95/98/ME Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;
    2) Boot the computer from Windows 2000/XP Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.