TI 8 Restoring Image Time and System Configuration

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dscrap, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

I am using TI 8.859 and was wondering what effects the restore process. I mainly use TI on my desktop and can create or restore an image in under 10 minutes. My desktop is a P4 550 at 3.4GHz with 1GB ram. I restore the image from a 2nd hard drive installed in my system or from a USB 2.0 external drive which takes about 3 minutes longer.

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with a PM 1.5GHz processor and 512mb of memory. I have tried restoring an image from SZ, DVD, and from a second partition on the main hard drive. All of which takes about 45 minutes. Why does this take so long on the laptop compared to the desktop? The image is around 2GB under normal compression. It only took about 12 minutes to create, but restoring takes forever.

What specific specs effect the time? Memory? Internal or external Drive? Processor speed? Is there a way to speed up the process? Is using the SZ a wise choice? What if the drive fails? I do make a backup DVD, but that always takes the longest amount of time. 45 minutes is way to long to restore an image.

I have read through many threads with people with varying success in restoring images. It seems that Acronis has an update about every month or two. Why is it that none of the competing products update as much or take as long to restore? I am not downing Acronis, I really love their products, but it's starting to be a real pain in the butt updating all the time and still not having an all in one solution.

2. Donprovo

Donprovo Registered Member

TrueImage drivers don't support the new Dell processor and motherboard so you get USB 1 speeds. I have build 796, 800, 826 and 859 and none have drivers for the new 6000's. Use 826 for the most reliable results.

3. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

Re: Image Restore Taking Forever (18 hours so far)

What drivers does TI require? I find it hard to believe that Acronis would need to make drivers for every brand and model pc for its products to work. Do you mean that there is no support for the Pentium M processor? I have the PM 715 at 1.5GHz. There is no RAID and its and IDE hard drive not a SATA so it should be supported...

Thanks

4. Donprovo

I have an Inspiron 5160 and imaging and restores take about 15 minutes.

On my new Inspiron 6000d it takes about two hours.

Both 40Gb, 5400 rpm drives, both with 15Gb used.

Build 826 = Fast for 5160; Slow for 6000.

Build 859 = Slow for both.

This product is a mess. It's betaware. I keep telling myself to be patient and some day they'll figure out what's wrong. Of course by that time I'll have bought more new hardware and have to go through the loop all over again.

The way you have to think about TrueImage 8 is like it's SHAREWARE. You know, you download and use a flakey product and you send the geeks that developed it a donation so maybe they'll develop some patches for the holes in the original software you downloaded.

You keep using it until something better comes along and then you dump it and never look back. Meanwhile, it limps along doing a minimal job and you figure it works well enough to justify the shareware donation you made.

5. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

Hmmm, I wonder if the next update will fix the issues. It really is a shame that such a good product never seems to work. The frequent updates are a pain to keep downloading and installing. I have to make a new restore CD every time. There should be an automatic update or live update feature so I would be able to get the updates easily. This way I would just need to make a new CD if an update is installed or if (hopefully) the program will state a new CD is required.

I really only use the TI to make a back up of a fresh install with all my apps and drivers. I regularly backup my important documents to DVD and there is no real need to create an image every time. But with the time it takes to restore a basic image, I could actually manually do a fresh install in less time. So TI just doesn't do the job it is supposed to do.

What drivers could the program actually need for the Inspiron 6000? The restore CD boots into linux and isn't it just a matter of seeing the hard drive and writing the data back to it? I just don't see the big problem I guess...

6. Donprovo

You could try the BartPE CD and then you boot into Windows and use Windows drivers but I haven't bothered.

I just use build 826 to do the imaging and restoring. At least I know that 826 is reliable and I can trust the results even though it's slow on the new Dell.

As bad as you think it is, it still beats the alternatives. You could never do a fresh install, download necessary drivers, reinstall programs, set up apps and files and documents anywhere near as fast or easy as TrueImage 8 will do the job.

You just have to get used to the pokey speed untill they find some Linux drivers that work faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.