DVD Image corruption but OK on hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ScoobyFab, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScoobyFab

ScoobyFab Registered Member

I recently purchased True Image 8 Corporate workstation to replace Ghost.
    When creating my first image, I split the image into 4gig peices.
    I ended up with two tib files "backup1.tib" and "backup2.tib" of 4.09gigs and 4.04gigs respectively.
    These were recorded to a second ide hard drive. Both tib files verify as not corrupted.
    I then burnt the two tib files to separate DVD's using Nero.
    When verifying these images Acronis tells me that that backup2.tib is corrupted. I have burnt these twice using the slowest speed, good quality media and with a plextor burner.
    Can anyone suggest to me what may be the problem with the burnt DVD images?
    Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ScoobyFab,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please do the following in order to check the image integrity?

- Download the checksum utility from http://www.irnis.net/files/xcsci.exe
    - Install and run the application and click on the ellipsis sign to browse and select the image file on DVD;
    - Click the "Run" button in the application and save the MD5 checksum;
    - Get the MD5 checksum for the same part of the image on hard disk and compare the figures obtained.

If the checksums do not match it is likely that you have problems with DVD burner. Please try to update your DVD burner firmware to the latest possible version and update your Nero software as well.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. ScoobyFab

Performed the checksums prior to posting the original thread. This is a high end machine that is used to make DVD training videos. Only TI seems to have a problem with MD5 values. Vegas 5, Nero, and Pinnacle have no problems.

Solution: Ghost 2003 worked wonderfully. I don't have time to jump through hoops and re-read your pat answers. Would you like your cd back?
    No offense intended. I wanted help, not a path that has been travelled down before to no avail.
    BTW: You really should support DVD-R or at least state it plainly in your FAQ's that TI cannot use this type of disk.
    Your software has great potential and ease of use. Unfortunately the learning curve is too time consuming.
    Regards.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Scoobyfab,

Hardly the way to endear yourself to Acronis Support or anyone else for that matter.

If your original post had stated that you had carried out an MD5 checksum comparison, Ilya's response would have been somewhat different. None of us are mind readers you know!!

So what was the result of your checksum comparison - the same or different? If they were different then, clearly, it's not TI's fault but more likely a compatibility problem between your hardware, burner or media.

Regards

5. bmel88

bmel88 Guest

I have used TrueImage for almost two years now and have NEVER, NEVER been able to burn an image to a CD that could be used for direct restoration from that CD. I have even had disks that were verified a good and the restoration would break down somewhere. I am using verison 6 build 350. The only way that I have been able to use images stored on CD disks, is to transfer them to a hard drive and then restore from that. Knowing what I know, I have never even bothered to try a DVD disk. I tried sending messages to support but got the same kind of "try this try that" pat answers you got and never got a solution. I would love to hear from someone who has made multiple CD (or DVD) images and has used them to directly make a restoration. I make restorations all the time but always from a hard disk only.

6. Menorcaman

Well, how about me for a start.

If you are genuinely interested in obtaining help then you need to provide some more info.

Are you using the direct burn method or the indirect, two-stage, method? What's your O/S? If Windows XP, have you disabled its built in drag-and-drop recording feature? Do you use an internal or external burner? What third party CD/DVD recording software do you use? Have you tried TI 8 build 800?

Regards

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bmel88,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We regret to inform you that Acronis True Image 6.0 is not supported any more because this version is very old. Please try using new Acronis True Image 8.0 and describe what error you encounter. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. bmel88

bmel88 Guest

Please do not mistake my message as in anyway being unhappy with TI. I cannot imagine computer life without it. I like to try all kinds of software and programs and I have the full confidence that TI will be there to save the bacon. I am using Win2k and my current machine is a Dell 400 SC with 1 gig of memory. I have used Nero, DeepBurner and CD burnerXP and always an internal CD burner. I have used all speeds down to 1X and the best media I been able to buy. I'm sorry, but I do not know what direct burn vs indirect, two-stage method is. I simply put a disk in my burner and drag and drop the files via the program's windows. This has always worked for me when burning any and all other kind of files to CD's or DVD's and frankly, that is why I have been baffled by my inability to sucessfully use CD images for a direct restoration. What can happen to a good, verified file by burning it to another media? Anyway, I have nerver tried a newer version of TI for the same reason that I'm still using Win2k. What I have works fine, and I am not willing to spend money just to have the latest and greatest software. Frankly, I have never been able to understand how software companies simply drop support after a relatively short period. I have heard that manufacturers must continue to make parts for their products for ten years after the product is dis-continued.
    If you can provide help or a solution, I will be very grateful.

9. bmel88

bmel88 Guest

I did forget to mention: my CD burner is a Lite-on. Also, any CD images have been created from my hard disk and verified by TI check image program as being OK.

Thanks

10. Menorcaman

Hi bmel88,

Thanks for the additional info. I know that what I'm about to say is applicable to TI 7 and 8. However, you'll soon see if you can read any of it across to TI 6. So, if you bear with me I'll see if we can move this forward.

By "direct method" I mean using TI to create an image direct to CD or DVD. The two types of media each require a different approach:

For CD you need to use a blank CD-R or CD RW disks and follow the instructions in the Create Image Wizard. It's recommended that you insert the disks into the recorder's drawer but don't close it manually. When you click the Proceed button in the Wizard the drawer should close automatically and start the recording process. TI will prompt you when a disk change is required (remember, don't close the drawer manually).

For DVD you need to have third-party UDF packet writing software installed and running, such as Nero's InCD or Roxio's DirectCD. Use DVD+/-RW disks that have been preformated via the packet writing software. DVD+R can only be preformated(?!) if using Roxio DirectCD. However, I suggest sticking to RW disks as they can be erased and used again if you get a bad burn. Follow the Create Image Wizard instructions as above.

When imaging direct, it's recommended that you close down all non-essential applications. Even using "Normal" compression TI will use 100% CPU utilisation.

The "indirect, two-stage method" requires that you first create an image on your hard drive, electing to split it manually during creation. Select the 650 MB file size for CD or enter 2000 MB if using DVD. Once the split image has been created use your normal (not drag-and-drop) burning software such as Nero Burning ROM or Roxio Easy CD Creator to burn the resultant .tib files as CD-ROM (ISO) or DVD-ROM (ISO) compilations (1 file per CD or 2 files per DVD). Again, I suggest you use RW media for the reason stated above but in any case note that Acronis doesn't guarantee that TI will work with DVD-R.
    I also recommend you burn the compilations at a slow speed to reduce the risk of a corrupt burn. Fast burns are all well and good for audio and video files (who will notice the odd click or pixelation during playback?) but a single corrupt byte in a data file is usually fatal.

After burning you should always use the Check Image Wizard to verify the image integrity. Partway through a restore is not the time to find a corrupt disk as, by then, TI will have deleted the partition(s) on the destination hard drive. Note that, when verifying or restoring an image that has been split across multiple CDs/DVDs, you will need to insert the last disk volume first and then follow TI's prompts. To Explore a multi-disk image you will need to copy the individual .tib files from all the disk volumes back to a single folder/partition on your hard drive first and mount the image from there.

Appologies if any or all of the above is teaching granny to suck eggs but by spelling it all out you might just see something that you were either not doing or else doing incorrectly.

Regards

11. bmel88

bmel88 Guest

Hello Menorcaman,

To the contrary, I do appreciate your very detailed message and the time it took to create it. I can never find fault with too much information. Though I think I have done, at one time or another, all that you have explained and directed, I will try it following your instructions to the letter and see what happens. By the way, I was curious about where your location was, and now know a little about what must be a very beautiful place. Again, thanks for your help.

12. ScoobyFab

Menorcaman,

Your criticism is just and well spoken:
    "Hardly the way to endear yourself to Acronis Support or anyone else for that matter."
    Truth of the matter is that I was not trying to endear myself to Acronis.
    I was tired. Too much plane time. Much of what I do now is a labor of commitment.

The MD5 checksums between the hard dive backup and the dvd backup verify in my office. After test deployment, the findings are that the backup dvd's will not restore (corrupted image). However, the same images burned from the dvd and recorded to a hard drive will restore.
    Allow me to clarify. We burn the backups to a separate hard drive and then burn to dvd.
    The MD5 checksums match. The images will not restore from the dvd. Copying the dvd images to a hard drive will allow restoration from the hard drive backups. Due to security requirements, the use of In Cd and other similar packet writing utilities are not acceptable.

Being from Micronesia, I travel to many remote Islands. This encourages me to find the best solution for backup. Nature hates hard drives here.

Best Regards,

Scoobyfab :)

*Was supposed to be ScoobyFan* I was tired.

13. Menorcaman

Hi ScoobyFab,

Seems you could do with a break from all that travelling and chill out on a beach somewhere :)

I note in your first post that you're splitting the image file at 4GB, which means you must be burning DVD-ROM (UDF) compilations. Whilst my system has no problem restoring from a DVD-ROM (UDF) disk, that might not be the case for everyone.

It might be worth having another go by splitting at 2000 MB and burning to DVD+R or DVD+/-RW as standard DVD-ROM (ISO) compilations. Don't be tempted to input the size as 2 GB because Nero will complain that the file size exceeds the ISO 9660 limit (hence reason I suggested to Acronis some time ago that they amend their Online FAQ, which they have now done).

Regards and take it easy

14. ScoobyFab

Seems to me that this type of dvd support completely ignores the reason why I want dvd support. 2 gigs vs 4 gigs per disk.
    Sigh.

I have a feeling that you are a knowledgable and valuable resource that Acronis, evidently, relies upon. Kudos.
    Would like a response from the software manufacturer since forum referals are directed here.
    Good day,
    Scoobyfan

BTW: Happy egg day

15. Menorcaman

No need to sigh Scoobyfan - you're meant to drag up to two of the 2 gig files into each new DVD-ROM (ISO) compilation window!! Appols if that didn't come across.

Regards

16. ScoobyFab

Correct if I am wrong please. I can add two(2), 2gig incrementals backups per dvd. OK if so.
    However, I still need to create the bootable cd from which to restore these backups stored on dvd. If this is not so, please inform me. Ideally, TI would allow for backups from dvd with minimal interface from the person at the restore machine. The user is not generally in the mood or circumstance to access me. ie: Typhoons

Thanks for your help.
    Scoobyfab
    should be Scoobyfan. But who gives a hoot?

17. Menorcaman

Hi ScoobyFan(b),

Uhmm, where did the "incrementals" come from?!! If you mean can you add up to two of the 2gig .tib files resulting from an image that you split during its creation the answer is "Yes".

TI can create images from within Windows. However, when restoring an active system partition, TI needs to boot into the Linux based rescue environment. this can be achieved in one of three ways:

1. Commence the restore from within Windows and, when prompted, allow TI to reboot into the rescue mode. You will then need to restart the Restore Wizard. This method is O.K. until such time your system crashes and you can't boot into Windows!!

2. Boot from the rescue CD that you previously created. Recommended.

3. Create a Secure Zone, activate the Startup Recovery Manager (SRM) and press F11 during a system boot. Not to be undertaken lightly because the SRM modifies the Master Boot Record of your hard drive. This can cause incompatibilty issues with certain multi-boot managers etc.

Regards

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  18. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hi Scooby - I understand you problem of coming up with a reliable and easy-to-use backup & restore solution for remote users.

Unfortunately, TrueImage (except for the some Enterprise versionso_O) are not scriptable, so you and your users will have to rely on some home-made printed documentation with lots of screen shots.

The media builder used to create stand-alone Rescue CD's is not able to incorporate both TrueImage and the images on the same DVD. Now, I am not sure if it is my imagination, but I believe there was discussion here about how to burn bootable DVD's that included not only TrueImage, but also some other rescue programs. Perhaps the same method can be extended to include images on the Rescue DVD.

Back to the backup & restore problem. Have you considered the use of removable, internal harddisks? Sometimes it is easier to throw hardware at a hardware problem than software :)

19. Menorcaman

Hi MiniMax,

Perhaps this thread titled <How to create bootable rescue DVD(s):> is what you're thinking of. It was started by Will Dormann and susequently modified by myself to incorporate the latest software. Unfortunately, it's just not possible to automate the resultant recovery DVD(s) so one still needs to select the image location (the DVD) and recovery destination. Ah well, one day perhaps, one day......:doubt:

Regards

20. ScoobyFab

MiniMax,

Sorry to take so long in replying. Tis' Easter here. Guam.
    Thanks for your response. You are correct in that no script I write seems to work.
    Is it possible to make a bootable cd that looks automatically for the restore point on the same assigned drive as the boot disk?
    Anywho, this is becoming a pain in the... I help distribute refurbished comps to remote locations. Problem is most of the contributers do not have a restore program as part of the agenda.

Quote: "Back to the backup & restore problem. Have you considered the use of removable, internal harddisks? Sometimes it is easier to throw hardware at a hardware problem than software."
    Yes, but this would increase the cost beyond what I can donate.

We do group hardware, so that each location recieves almost identical comps ( monitors excluded).
    Looked like TI was a reasonably priced solution for me.

Again,
    to all,
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.