ArcaVir 2005 - REVIEW

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sputnik, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Grrr...So I'm the only one left out...Darn...and I'm just ABOUT to become a teenager tomorrow....Grr...wait till I become 18...wait...

:D:D:D:D

2. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Has anyone been using ArcaVir long enough to know if it's virus updates are daily, weekly, twice a week, or what ever.

3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

From what I have seen over the last couple of weeks , it is everyday .

4. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Hi Mannaggia,

Virus signatures are updated in a weekday (Monday-Friday) manner. So far, I have never seen an update done during the weekends even though they state it will be available for an emergency situation. Hope this helps.

5. Mannaggia

Thank you. I just installed the trial version. Checking it out to see how it runs on my computer.

6. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Yes it does. Almost every above average scanners can detect something that Kaspersky engined av:s as F-secure can miss, that's the salt of life.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yup,i have seen files being missed by Kaspersky and detected by avast!/AntiVir.

8. hollywoodpc

That is why I backup NOD with Arcavir . They work gracefully together .

9. Mannaggia

Well I'm checking out ArcaVir and I really like every about it. Unfortunately, it looks like it's not going to work out for me. I have yahoo mail forwarded into my inbox in Outlook express. For some reason, ArcaVir won't let it through. I keep getting the "failed to connect to incoming server" error message. I've tried everything but the only thing that works is disabling the e-mail monitor. I don't want to do that. So it looks like I am going to have to uninstall it. Too bad. I really like the everything else about it.[​IMG]

10. hollywoodpc

I use Pocomail and I have the same problem . I asked about this and they tested it . It ran fine for them with Poco . Not with mine . Do not understand why . But , as a backup , it is nice to have . Because of the email problem , I cannot even consider it to be my real time monitor . Not that I would as NOD is great .

11. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hello,

I was having a similar problem with my gmail account until I disabled SSL scans.

Regards

12. Mannaggia

I tried that also. Didn't work for me. I just got through uninstalling it. Maybe I give it another try tomorrow.

13. Mannaggia

For anyone who is interested. It kept bugging me that I couldn't receive e-mail with ArcaVir e-mail scanner enabled. This morning for the heck of it, I went hunting and found some Norton stuff hanging around in my computer. I removed all. I installed ArcaVir again and now can receive e-mail with the e-mail scanner enabled. [​IMG] I guess ArcaVir doesn't get along with Norton antivirus.

I'm going to run ArcaVir for awhile to see how it performs.

Strange name though.[​IMG]

14. Mannaggia

I have a question. The ArcaVir icon in the taskbar by the clock keeps changing to a exclamation point and back to the little ArcaVir logo. Anybody else have this happening and what does it mean?

I like the idea when hovering the cursor over the icon, you can see the date of the last update. [​IMG]

15. Piper

Piper Registered Member

Could you pick ArcaVir 2005 over NAV 2005 and feel that you computer is secure? No NAV bashers. Just your honest opinion. I worry about my computer being safe with an antivirus software that you hardly hear about or know much about.

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

To protect my own computer I would choose Nav. It has good detection and a long history. Arcavir might be alright but I know Nav is a decent av contrary to all of nav bashers.

bigc

17. Piper

Piper Registered Member

That's basically how I feel about it too.

Piper

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I can honestly say I would opt for Arcavir for my own PC.

Prior to unconditionally recommending it for another user's PC, I would like to see some objective large sample set test results out there to give me a clearer vision of detection characteristics. My own usage suggests it is quite good and at least on par with Norton.

As always, comparative stability during a trial install should be assessed

Blue

19. Firecat

VirusP...come on, release some tests already!

20. BlueZannetti

Firecat,

I realize that. If you look at that test, Arcavir looks rather solid, but I'd perfer a somewhat more controlled test by, e.g. www.av-comparatives.org, to base advice that I may offer to others.

You could also look at some of the recent results obtained by Firefighter posted here. These somewhat informal tests do fill an information void, and I view the results as useful provisional indicators of performance. For a reasonably prepared and recent testbed, these informal assessments seem to yield rankings which are roughly equivalent to the more controlled challenge tests.

Blue

21. Firecat

Yeah I saw those...but normal people would only go in for an AV if it excels in professional tests...I'm already using ArcaVir and have not seen anything that it let through so far.

22. hollywoodpc

I totally agree with you Blue . Very well put !

23. BlueZannetti

Thanks.

I just noticed that IBK mentioned that a very short overview on-demand test of some programs which readers have been clamoring for has appeared. Go to www.av-comparatives.org, select Comparatives, and at the bottom of the text on that page, a link to a separate test of other products is provided. No test details are, or will be, provided.

Arcavir was given a Standard rating, which puts it in the same class as Trend Micro, H+BEDV AntiVir, Avast, and Sophos. CA InnoculateIT was also rated Standard in this limited test.

As always, note Andreas' comment, which is explicit in some of the tests, that All tested products are already a selection of very good Anti-virus scan engines.

Blue

24. Mannaggia

I'm no antivirus expert, so all I can go by is what I read here and eicar tests that I run. I ran the eicar test and the eicar e-mail test. ArcaVir 2005 caught them all, even the zip files before they are opened. For a layman like myself, I would have to think that's pretty good. I'll give ArcaVir a few more days.

25. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

If you are using the trial version, you will see the exclamation mark in your systray icon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.