Change in Eset leadership???

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Fubie, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fubie

Fubie Registered Member

Hello everyone! My brother and I are avid users of NOD32 at home and we both would love to move our companies systems over to NOD32. My brother has to convince his boss and I am more or less in charge of the decision process myself. But after talking to my brother this weekend we are concerned about rumors of a change in direction/leadership with Eset. Is it true that someone high up from Websense is being brought in to lead Eset?
    The reason I ask is that I not only use NOD32 because it is light on system resources and works great, is very fast, but isn't costly. My brother moved his boss this direction too and the price quote for all their workstations and servers for NOD32 was awesome to say the least (When being compared to Symantec). But when his boss called to speak directly with a sales rep at Eset there was talk of some substantial price increases from the quoted price and also discussion by the sales people about the leadership change with someone from Websense coming over and dictating the price changes to make Eset more competative and profitable.
    Am I way off here? I would love to bring my organization into the NOD32/Eset realm but I am concerned. Let me know any info you have. Thanks.

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Unsure of a change but , to say they will raise prices to be competitive ? NOD is already one of the highest priced AV programs available . If they raise the price , say bye bye . They cannot be that stupid . Unless you got a great discount deal . Then , they may say , NO DISCOUNTS and raise you up to normal price . They are in NO WAY cheap !

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hogwash.

Online Prices USD (single-user license schemes only):

Norman VC: $64.18
    F-Secure: $64.00
    Norton: $49.95
    Trend Micro IS: $49.95
    Kaspersky: $41.50
    McAfee: $39.99
    NOD32: $39.00
    AVG Pro: $33.30 (2 year license)
    CA EZ AV: $29.95

Looks like a pretty good deal to me. :doubt:

4. dwood

dwood Registered Member

We have just moved over to Nod from Sophos and the only reason for the move was price! They were half the price of Symantec and they were the next cheapest. Sophos didn't even come close!

I hope they don't raise there price, it makes the competition work hard to compete.

Dan

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Especially if Microsoft is going to be putting an AV on the market..

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I hear that one all the time - it's a sales ploy to get a prospect to move NOW... surely you've had someone play that game with you!

Are you sure that this was Eset, and not a reseller?

7. anton

anton Eset Management

Hello all,
    Yes, it is true that there is new leadership at ESET. Because of the strength of our product and the hard work of our reseller partners we have been fortunate enough to continue growing the company. Part of our objective is to increase the brand awareness and sales of ESET's solutions in North America and the rest of the world. We also continue to innovate new solutions to the evolving threats on the Internet that are putting our customers at risk. We were fortunate to have Rick Moy join the company last month to head sales and marketing and assist us with these objectives. He was instrumental in Websense's success and has since assisted numerous other security companies launch and grow their businesses. I can personally assure you that we remain committed to providing our loyal customers and partners with best-of-class security solutions at a great value.

anton

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Anton,

It's always nice to see you on the board !!! :D

Thanks for the info !!!

Keep up the good work ESET !

Best Regards,
    Jan.

9. hollywoodpc

Have you ever tried to cut a deal with any of your mentioned programs ? And those are only a few . Gee . How did you forget the many free AND AVs priced at 29.95 or less . And to say hogwash ? Aren't you nice . I say again . NOD is high . They cut no deals . On renewal you save , as you do with most . Next time , if you wish to be rude , start quoting some of the many available AVs that are , INDEED , priced less than NOD . AND . Norman ? Last I checked , it took an act of congress to use it on a home pc . They usewd to only carry a , basically , corporate version . Thanks for the kind words and have a wonderful day

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

If I remember correctly the do offer a student discount. I would say that NOD32 is mid-priced.

11. hollywoodpc

I did not mention that as it is too hard to get . It is a nice one though . Oh yes . Like $ 22. 00 or $ 23 . 00 for a year . Now THAT cannot be beaten for what you get .

12. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I didn't forget them. There aren't very many. ;)

Yes I am! ;) Sorry if you took it personally--it was only referring to your description of NOD32 as a high-priced AV. It isn't, IMO--and in comparison to most AV's I listed. Here are a few more, btw:

Online Prices USD (single-user license schemes only):

Norman VC: $64.18
    F-Secure: $64.00
    GDATA AVK: $53.02
    Norton: $49.95
    Trend Micro IS: $49.95
    Kaspersky: $41.50
    McAfee: $39.99
    Avast! Pro: $39.95
    Dr. Web: $39.82
    NOD32: $39.00
    AVG Pro: $33.30 (2 year license)
    CAT Quickheal: $30.00
    CA EZ AV: $29.95
    Command: $19.95

Have a nice day yourself, hollywood! ;)

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Isn't the $39 only for the first year? I believe renewal is $29 a year after the first for NOD.

14. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

'Tox--yes, $39 for the first year. $23 and change for renewal.

15. Fubie

Fubie Registered Member

Sure I've had other businesses do this to me. But I went with Eset because of their treatment of users and their very fair pricing practices. That is exactly why I left Symantec. And what I was (who knows now) going to do with my job site.

Yes it was an Eset sales rep...not a reseller who jokingly admits to playing pricing games

Thank you very much for that reply. I see that the sales rep that my brothers boss spoke to was giving out truthful information. But my lingering question, especially now that you've said Rick was instrumental with Websense, is how soon before we see these price increases. As a home user I am not to worried. NOD has saved my bacon more times than I care to remember and as long as the price isn't changed hugely I won't be leaving. But at my place of business price is everything. Right now we are with Symantec but I need to purchase quite a few more licenses for other systems. Apparently there is enough concern with my brothers boss after his discussion with the Eset sales rep that he is reconsidering his (large) businesses AV purchase. If he (he has many more years experience) is pausing to consider I am too.

16. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Doing a quick Google search on "Rick Moy", it appears that he has a bit of a San Diego background. Assuming this is the same person, it makes sense that he would join Eset.

17. webyourbusiness

hard to get? How is that?

I don't know about OTHER resellers, but we make it easy - place your order online, fax or email a scanned copy of either:

i. a current student ID
    ii. a letter from a tutor, department head, faculty member on school headed paper

Now I appreciate that it's a bit of a hoop to jump through, but any student should already have ID etc, scanning is trivial - for a 50% discount, I don't call it much work... but it all depends on how you value YOUR time.

Discounts are heavy - do you expect Eset, or every reseller to have to do all the work for less money? Come on... play fair!

18. webyourbusiness

Run that by me again - are you saying I play pricing games? I meant I heard it from suppliers - I certainly NEVER tell someone a lie to get a sale.

So it would appear... now why am I surprised to learn that resellers are among the last to hear - it's common way to manage your resellers, staff, minions... etc... isn't it called mushroom management?

I don't know... use shrooms are the last to know - don't you know... ;)

If that's the case, we'll have to make our own judgements when it happens ... price shouldn't be the ONLY deciding factor, but it is often one of the biggest deciding factors for clients...

It would be nice if we all knew what was going on - I'd say that any delay might cost if price increases are already being mentioned - spending now on a two year license deal might be the prudent decision... at least that's how I'd be leaning... who knows where the market will be in two years!

19. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I've been following this thread and now I hear drumming....the natives are growing restlesss....

Or a three year deal.
    Really though we live in an inflationary society. Surely nobody expects that the price would drop in the near future?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  20. Well NOd32 is $39.99 and Kav is ~42.00 so if NOD32 does increase their priceing structure I can tell you this that I will not think twice of jumping ship to KAV.
    Afterall you sacrifice a bit of performance for a hell lot better protection.

21. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Oh come on, stop with the BS. So in other words you are saying that you use NOD only because it is cheaper? I say if you truly feel that way you should using KAV now as the difference is only a whooping $2.01, if that 2 bucks really breaks the bank, perhaps you should not wasting money on a computer in the 1st place.

22. Well I had the 2 years plan but over the two years I realized that some of the NOD support is lacking. And I have also read a lot of reviews and belief stories.

So if NOD32 does indeed ups the price to let say $50.00 then once my subscription runs out I might as well jump ship. Since there will be no incentive to stay with one company if the prices are compared to a much better and well supported company.

Mainly Virus signatures within hours after submission and not weeks.

23. NOD32.name

NOD32.name Registered Member

As far as I know prices will remain as is for now.

There has been no price increase for 2005 as of yet and
    from my understanding prices will remain this way.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2005
  24. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

We did about a year ago, I think every other AV is priced higher than Nod32 in Australia.

Cheers :D

25. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

All the other major AV's I'm aware of in Australia are more expensive. Let me be the first to admit I'm not aware of every AV available in Australia let alone all the AV's available to Australia and that'll save anybody else needing to point it out.
    And if the price does lower or at least stay the same then in real terms its got cheaper anyhow compared to what a dollar buys after inflation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.