How reactivate Windows XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by terabyte, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terabyte

terabyte Guest

Can anyone tell me how to reactivate Windows XP, after I reinstall it on a new Hard drive? Do I have to call some special MS telephone number first to reactivate it? Thanks for any help.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

If you have an internet connection on that machine, the PC can automatically go through the activation sequence. As I recall (only did it once), if an on-line connection is not available, you end up calling a toll free number to Microsoft. You will end up manually entering the product key over the telephone and if it is accepted you will be provided with an activation code to be entered on startup which activates the system.

Blue

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

is this an install disc or restore disc's from a factory install? if you are doing it with restore disc it does not need to be reactivated.

5. nadirah

A factory install of windows xp does not require the user to enter the activation code as the tech guy at the factory has already activated that copy of xp on the computer.

6. tearbyte

tearbyte Guest

I will be reinstalling a copy of a retail (store bought) Windows cd. It will require me to reinput the activation code, and I wasn't sure if I would have problems reactivating it or not.

7. bigc73542

As BlueZannetti said in post#2 there is a number to call that you can use to reactivate xp with microsoft and as I Posted there is a number on the disc. and they will give you the 25 number code to use to activate it again' just choose the option "telephone activation"

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  8. nadirah

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx
    You can activate xp via the internet or call up micro$oft. Mine is a factory installed copy of xp so i don't need to activate/re-activate it.

Product Activation works by verifying that a software program's product key has not been used on more personal computers than intended by the software's license. You must use the product key in order to install the software and then it is transformed into an installation ID number. You use an activation wizard to provide the installation ID number to Microsoft either through a secure transfer over the Internet, or by telephone. A confirmation ID is sent back to your machine to activate your product.

9. terabyte

terabyte Guest

Thank you all for your very excellent help.

10. nadirah

Always glad to be of service to you. :)

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just reinstalled and activated XP, i think there was an icon in the systray you can click on then start the activation process.

you can do it over the internet, when i tried to do it over the internet it wouldn't connect. so the other way is to ring up a customer support number.

firstly, you pick your country, then ring up the number given, you then give the number which is on the activation screen, i've editted it out in the screenshot below, then you fill in the number that's given to you. that should be it. :)

Attached Files:

12. bigc73542

A good "screenie" Ice

bigc

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks :D it's lucky i took two screenshots at the time, because i deleted out the ID from step four without copying it first. :rolleyes:

14. nadirah

When I reinstalled xp myself earlier last year, I was not required to reactivate xp at all, my copy of xp is factory installed and activated at the factory so the computer user does not need to do anything at all. Easy job for me. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.