Work True Image 8 with S-ATA Hard Disk? (Boot-CD)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Brudicchio Lorenzo, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Good Morning, my name is Lorenzo and i have a question.
    Which are the differences between version 7 and the 8 and if version 8 supports the Hard Disk Serial ATA by Boot?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Lorenzo,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

Both Acronis True Image 7.0 and 8.0 versions support SATA hard disk drives. The main distinction is that Acronis True Image 8.0 doesn't image pagefile and hibernation files as Acronis True Image 7.0 does.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. No, that is not true. Look through these forums; if you have SATA drives this is not the program for you.

4. Acronis Support

Hello verry unhappy,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis products (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/).

Could you please let me know the full model name of the SATA HARD DISK DRIVE that is not supported by Acronis True Image version 7.0 or 8.0?

Thank you.

5. Heh. I'll bite.

It's a Seagate ST340014AS SATA 150 drive in a Dell Precision 370 Workstation. The specific problem that I (and a lot of other people on this forum seem to be having) is that, on booting up with the boot CD, the SATA drive is not recognized. The program terminates with an error:

"E000101F4: Acronis True Image has not found any hard disk drives"

If you've got a workaround I can apply TODAY I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise I'm screwed.

6. Oh, one more thing. It's True Image 8, Windows, build 774 if I recall correctly.

7. spog

spog Registered Member

8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I don't know if it's lack of support for my WD360 Raptor (SATA) drive or my Promise 378 SATA Controller, but I've experienced the very same problem with TI8 (all builds up to and including the current one). :doubt:

Asus P4C800Deluxe with i875P chipset
    Windows XP Professional (SP2)

9. Acronis Support

Hello all,

The problem described in this thread is not related to the model of SATA hard disk drive. This is concerned with the hard disk drive controllers installed on the motherboards.

As I understood from this thread the problem is present with the following controllers:

ICH6R that is installed on Dell Precision 370 Workstation - we are now working on this problem and it will be resolved in the near feature. The thing is that this controller has been released recently and we are doing our best in order to make our drivers to work with it.

VIA8237 - it should work, and work fast. As I wrote in another thread today, I will contact our Linux developer regarding the problem with this particular controller. And one more thing. spog, could you please confirm that Acronis True Image 7.0 build 613 works just fine on your system?

Promise 378 SATA - the problem with this controller has been resolved in the 774 build. If it is still present please contact support@acronis.com and provide us with the sysinfo.txt file (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317).

We strongly recommed to report such issues to support@acronis.com cause these problems (the ones concerned with Acronis bootable rescue media) require additional investigation.

Thank you.

10. nVidia

nVidia Guest

Andrew,

What about WD SATA drive (no raid) sitting on a nVidia 3 250-G chipset based mobo more specifically is a MSI K8N Neo Platinum mobo ? TI can back up the image on a particular partition but when the restore function is run, it fails. Is this caused by nVidia chipset board not supported by Acronis at all ?

11. Well, Andrew, I must confess I'm not terribly happy with your answer. Perhaps you ought to advertise the product as "known to work with X, Y, and Z" instead of telling me that it will work with "support SATA hard disk drives"...technically I suppose it will support those drives, but that doesn't do me any good if it doesn't support the controllers.

Still "verry unhappy".

12. spog

spog Registered Member

Acronis True Image 7 build 613 works very well with the via controller. I have created and restored several images on one of my machines. TI8 may also work (even though it is very slow). I don't have the b@@lls to try it though, because something is obviously not right. TI7 build boot disc does not boot with my second computer, even with the acpi no apic commands (can't remember the exact command). TI 8 build 774 boot disc does work with my second machine, but is very slow.

13. Sweet Jesus Christ in a handcart...no wonder there's so many pissed-off customers on this forum.

Really, Acronis, I'm just appalled that you'll let a major problem, like that your program won't work with SATA drives/controllers, just sit. At least I'm assuming that the problem is just sitting there, as no one has bothered to post about any progress, workarounds, etc. It's been five days and counting since my last post, a few days more than that since I got any reply whatsoever.

Given that less than a month ago I purchased True Image Server 8, well, I'm very less than impressed. And that's a lot of money that I'm about to ask to be returned to me unless you guys get on the stick and figure this out.

14. mareke

mareke Registered Member

Well I'm another pissed off Acronis customer. I bought Acronis because on the surface it looked brilliant. In an earlier post some time ago entitled 'My Acronis Experience' I outlined how the program let me down repeatedly and after discovering the program doesn't work well with raid I recently got rid of my raid system and went back to using SATA drives in a non raid configuration. Yesterday my computer decided to shut down while I was defragging it and on trying to restart it I found the system in a loop being unable to boot into Windows. To my disgust I found I was unable to successfully use any repair option. It appears a program called Deep Freeze didn't like being moved during the defrag and had well and truly stuffed up my Windows installation.

No worries I thought Acronis will surely save me this time as all my previous troubles were because I used raid. I used the boot CD and told Acronis where the backup images were and when I went to the next screen where I was supposed to point to the partition I wanted restored it had one word in the box where the drives and partitions should have been shown;'empty'. Yet in the previous box drives C and D and all the files were clearly visible.

So for about the 4th or 5th time in the last 6 weeks this program failed me when I desperately needed it to work. I paid hard earned money for this program and it has never done what it is advertised as doing.

Software should not be sold unless it reliably works or at least it should say on the packet what hardware it does and does not work with. What am I supposed to do now to get Acronis to work-go out and buy another computer and keep buying computers until I get lucky and find one that it works on?

There is nothing particularly unusual about my current computer. A Pentium IV 3.2 GHz with an Asus P4C800 deluxe motherboard with two 74 GB Western Digital SATA Raptor drives connected to the Intel 82801ER Sata controller connectors rather than the Promise connectors configured as non raid drives. I was using Acronis True Image 8.0 the most recent build after registering Acronis and downloading the latest update from the Acronis web site.

I now have to spend many hours reinstalling all my programs while the Acronis images sit on drive D along with all the other images I have on DVD from all the other failed attempts to use Acronis, totally useless. This time I will make my drives Fat 32 so I can use a program called WinRescue which I know from experience really does work and would have allowed me, in the situation I found myself in, to install an earlier registry from DOS and then boot into Windows.

I preserved the old windows installation and now temporarily have a dual boot system in the hope I could repair the old Windows installation from the new one but without success. I have many hours of installing ahead of me and a nice looking Acronis box with a nice looking Acronis CD that only has one 'slight' technical flaw-the same flaw I pointed out in my earlier post a few weeks back namely; it doesn't work. Apart from this 'slight' flaw it is a nice looking piece of software. I suppose now I'll get people telling me how Acronis has worked well for them and to stick with it. One day it may work for me but I bought it expecting it to work out of the box as advertised and unless I'm mistaken most countries have laws against selling products that don't do what they are advertised to do. If you think my post is rather strongly worded it reflects my anger with this program and there are a lot of words I would have liked to have used but would have resulted in my post being deleted.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  15. mareke

mareke Registered Member

I am now in the process of trying something which will at least partially redeem Acronis in my eyes if it works. I have installed Acronis in the new Windows installation and used the option of Exploring the Image I previously created that I could not restore. I have found I can copy and paste the Windows folder in the image to replace the old corrupted Windows which is still there because I opted to have a dual boot system leaving the old Windows installation that became corrupted in place. If this works as I hope I should be able to boot into the old Windows and delete the new installation and I will have something close to what I would have had if I had been able to successfully restore the Acronis Image. Even if it doesn't work being able to Explore the Image and copy and paste means you can recover things that otherwise may have been lost which is at least some consolation.

16. Cornholio

Cornholio Registered Member

Hi Acronis support,
    just would like to add that I face the same problem with my brand new DELL precision 370 workstations and S-ATA drive (error 8E000101F4).
    Sorry folks, but Ghost 2003 has no problem with this machine. And this is DOS-based software (!)
    Best regards,
    Cornholio

17. LordPeng

LordPeng Guest

same here,

definitly no s-ATA with acronis 7.0 build 638 with an hp/compaq dx6100
    even it's onboard ethernet adapter doesn't gets detected (which uses a broadcom chipset with full linux support)

i'm not willing to upgrade to future versions of true image, until this get's fixed

18. Just IT

Just IT Registered Member

I just upgrade to version 8, 774 build because the system was rebooting after I click on creating image with previous verision

I was able to image new Dell Optiplex 280 system with SATA drive. Two thing you may want to check is to make sure HDD is set a combination (compatible mode) and Hyper-thread is OFF at system BIOS.

good luck
    -lu

19. Eldon

Eldon Registered Member

Same issues with True Image for Linux on the Asus P4C800Deluxe with i875P chipset. Cannot image the SATA drives....

Reading this thread explains to me the problems (and that I'm not alone) I have been having with Fedora and True Image.

Maybe next release (at least I'm glad I didn't spend any money on this "work in progress" piece of software).

Regards,
    Eldon

20. Teamfortress

Teamfortress Registered Member

Hi Just IT, what was the speed of image creation? I have the same system and set SATA to combination mode. True Image worked but speed was extremely slow. What about your speed?

21. Just IT

Just IT Registered Member

I did not really pay attention to it. Came back from lunch and it is done.
    I have just finishing image a Linux on Dell PowerEdge 750 w/ SCSI 160 drive. The speed seems normal to me....

Hope this help.
    -lu

22. JGF

JGF Registered Member

Yep, same issue here with the S-ATA in a Dell 8400, two Hitachi 400g non-RAID drives and TrueImage can't see 'em... Now I'm stuck big time... Have the images on an external with daily appends done, sees that drive fine, just can't see the internal S-ATA....

AAAGGGGGHHHHHH!

23. sconnell

sconnell Guest

I just wanted to make a comment to those "pissed" at Acronis.

To say that Acronis is just sitting on the problem that some of you are experiencing with SATA drives is really unfair. The greatest problem with Wintel PC's is that standards are loosely adhered to. When a company such as Acronis makes a software product that must communicate with this loosely standardized hardware, it's impossible to predict how the software will work in every situation with the infinite number of possible hardware configurations (or misconfigurations). Yes, we are talking about something that is "rocket science" in the computer science field. Yes, this is difficult diagnostics work, especially when they DON'T HAVE your hardware to work with.

Come'on give them a break, I'm sure they are working hard at resolving as many issues that are actually correctable.

No, I'm not an employ of Acronis but I'm am a fairly happy customer. I also have some issues that "force" me to continue using Ghost for a few applications (because Acronis doesn't support file filtering) but I'm going to continue supporting this company because I see a great future. I just hope they continue listening to their customers very much unlike the big boys!

Best regards,
    Shawn

24. mareke

mareke Registered Member

I'm willing to wait until Acronis works out a solution to the SATA drives issue; I have no choice, but, I feel they deserve the criticism because the advertising for it and claims made about the product are misleading and paying money for a product only to find that it does not do what it is advertised as doing is not acceptable and all the people who have parted with their money in good faith have been sorely let down. There may or may not be ‘loose standards’ for SATA drives but as far as hardware goes they all work pretty much the same way using the same standard leads, power supplies etc and drivers are provided by motherboard manufacturers and this issue should have either been sorted out before the software was put on sale or warnings given about the fact that it has issues with SATA, Raid etc. SATA drives have now been around for some time; enough time for the issues to have been apparent to Acronis yet people like myself only discovered these ‘issues’ after buying the software and using it to get out of trouble only to find it let them down.

I don't believe in kicking people when they are down but I also don't subscribe to buying things that don't do what they are claimed to do because that is tantamount to highway robbery. We are talking about a business here selling a product to people who have a right to get value for the money they have outlaid, not a group of people working altruistically for the good of others; a business that has no doubt made many millions of dollars from selling this product.

Software should be fully tested before it goes on sale and problems ironed out so that only a small minority of people at best experience problems rather than a significant percentage of people who buy the product. A lot of people use SATA drives these days and nowhere is there a warning on the package telling me it may not work with my SATA drives. That is unacceptable to me because believing the advertising I parted with money for a product that has so far proved worthless.

When it is sorted out I had better not find that to resolve the issue I have to purchase version 9.0 or the current criticism will look mild in comparison! I don't buy the argument about loose standards and the complexity of the issues being an excuse for probably at least 25% of people buying the product finding it doesn't work for them and they have got nothing in return for their outlay. There is no excuse for that other than a lack of professionalism in ensuring the product was properly tested and important issues like working with SATA drives resolved or alternatively honest advertising stating that it cannot be guaranteed to work if you use SATA drives and/or raid.

25. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

HI Mareke. I bought a new PC in January and also bought True Image. Since then it has saved me dozens of times and only ever failed once out of about 50 times. That once, I didn't check the image before hand so it might have been corrupt in the 1st place. Everytime I have verified an image with True Image it has restored that image.

About 3 months ago I bought 2 Sata drives and True Image worked perfectly as always restoring every image I requested. It even restored a RAID array. I had problems later with my motherboard controllers and decided to change over to an Intel motherboard as they are renowned for stability and once again True Image works perfectly with it and my SATA drives.

My experience with True Image has only been good and I cannot speak of this company and their product too highly. I did try Norton Ghost but it had problems restoring images so I got true Image and have never looked back all year.

True Image is the best program I have ever bought because it just works out of the box for me and always restores my images and gets me out of tight fixes. Incompatibilities are something that the company WILL work on as they are very professional at what they do. When a program works it's like heaven and True Image has been just heaven for me and it seems to be only getting better and better. I hope your problems get fixed quick so you can use this fantastic product. It will save your bacon many, many times.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.