DVD Recorder Support Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by changhao, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. changhao

changhao Registered Member

Hi Everyone:
    I have a NEC 2500A DVD-RW hooked by USB 2.0 external box to my notebook computer. However, when I tried to create image to my DVD-RW device, True Image 8 recognized my DVD-RW as CD-RW only. Therefore, when I inserted blank DVD media into my DVD-RW for making the image file, I got error message like “This media is not empty and please insert another one”. On the other hand, when I inserted blank CD for making image file, the image creating process just started. Please let me know what might be the possible problem because my DVD-RW can be identified by other software like Nero and Alcohol 120% in my computer without any problem.
    Also, I have a question about using the rescue CD to boot. Every time I boot, after seeing the screen of True Image 8, my computer just restarts and it can never get into the dos version of True Image 8. Please let me know how I can solve the above problems. Thank you all in advance.

Andy

2. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

I read in the manual you have to have a DVD UDF program installed such as Nero Incd or the one from Roxio I think, this then enables writing to a DVD.

Can't help with the boot CD problem, mine works fine. :cool:

3. changhao

changhao Registered Member

Thx for the reply. For DVD UDF program, only DVD RW can be used but not DVD-R or DVD+R. So does this mean usual DVD-R can not be used for back up.

Andy

4. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

Don't know only got the programme today, try reading the manual may have some ibfo in there o_O

5. z3r0

z3r0 Registered Member

Hello!

I have the same problem so if someone know how to burn directly to DVD the image that would be great. I'm counfused because the manual says if you want to save an image to disk and then burn the dvd (the alternative) the files should be splitted in 2gb due to allowed size for most dvds...
    I thought dvds could store 4.7 gb.... can't files be largest than 2gb?

But what we all want to do is to burn the image of our hard disks directly to dvd in incremental mode. So that's what manual says about:

The soft that cames with my dvd burner is "My DVD" and also have NTI CD Maker Gold, I don't see how to "initialize" my DVDs there...

Also don't see in any of these 4 options, a free option...
    is it suppoused I buy another DVD burning software too?

Is there any free solution to burn mi disk image directly to DVD?

Thank you!

6. tdave

tdave Guest

The manual fails to indicate how to use the "UDF" application.
    I have NEC 2510A, I went through the same issues as others indicated. The key is the DVD has to be formatted, In order for TI8 to recognize as valid writeble media.
    I am using Direct CD (roxio) and DVDR- 8x..
    After formatting just start the TI8 and "voila" the 4.7gb is recognized and starts the imaging process, with 8X it takes aprox 35min.
    Good Luck

7. mindguy

mindguy Registered Member

I'm trying to burn the image to an external firewire hard drive, to later be burned to DVD+R. But the option to set the image archive splitting size to 2 GBytes (or more) on the Image Archive Splitting screen does not show up. The largest is 700MB.

Any ideas? Do I have to have a DLA formatted DVD in the drive?

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello mindguy

Welcome to the Acronis True Image Forum.

You'll need to enter the split file size yourself. However, the maximum file size for an ISO 9660 DVD+R is 2GB at 1000 megabytes to a gigabyte, 1000 kilobytes to a megabyte and 1024 bytes to a kilobyte i.e. a total of 2048000000 bytes. Because Acronis TI/Windows uses multipliers of 1024 throughout, 2GB in Acronis/Windows speak would in fact equate to 2147483648 bytes. Therefore set the image split manually to 1.9GB in order to stay below the ISO 9660 limit.

In fact it's better to set the image split size to 635MB (665845760 bytes), which will allow you to burn up to 7 files (approx 4.661GB) per 4.700GB ISO 9660 DVD.

As an alternative, and if your DVD burning software allows the creation of DVD-ROM (UDF) disks, you can let TI split the image automatically to your HD. Your DVD burning application would then span the resultant files across the required number of DVD-ROM (UDF) disks.

Use a blank DVD+/-R or RW for whichever option you choose. Do not UDF format the disks unless you're imaging direct to DVD+/-RW from True Image running in Windows mode (Note - TI cannot image direct to DVD if running in boot rescue mode).

Hope the above helps.

Regards

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  9. Menorcaman

Hello Acronis Support (Andrew)

Please be aware that the Acronis True Image Online FAQ provides inaccurate advice regarding the file size for burning images onto DVD when using the two-step method:

As far as Nero Burning ROM is concerned (your Support Department should be able to check other DVD burning software), if you set the TI split size to 2GB as recommended by Acronis then you will receive an error message stating that the file can't be burnt as it exceeds the ISO 9660 limit. Hence the reason for the 1.9GB file size mentioned in my previous post.

Perhaps you can flag this up to the author of your FAQ web page?

Kind regards

10. Menorcaman

BUMP

Hello Andrew

Any comment, or have I got it completely wrong?

Regards
    menorcaman

11. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

Good post Menorcaman. Just helping to keep this near the top. ;)
    John

12. Menorcaman

Hello Andrew,

Would appreciate an Acronis Support response to my Post #9 above. Many thanks.

Kind regards

13. tr8der

tr8der Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman-

You wrote:
    As an alternative, and if your DVD burning software allows the creation of DVD-ROM (UDF) disks, you can let TI split the image automatically to your HD. Your DVD burning application would then span the resultant files across the required number of DVD-ROM (UDF) disks.

It would be great to have a program that would allow me to select all of my 635 MB TI files and to let that program manage the writing of 7 files per DVD. I have Roxio and that wants to split all the files up, so the full 4.7gig is used on each disk. This I would figure is going to cause problems later on.

What program do you use that can keep the intergrity of the files while it writes to multiple disks?

Thanks. Gordon

14. gladman

gladman Guest

I'm a 'newy' to True Im 8 - I don't think you can transfer direct to DVD ( I couldn't!). You have to transfer to a hard-drive & from there to DVD. Personally I save to an Ext USB HD. Incidently you don't normally require many CD for a backup with this program, should you decide to use CD's.

Re Rescue Cd mine works fine

Hope this helps.

15. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Acronis TI 8 images to DVD +RW for me and splits the files at 2GB automatically. I have checked the images and they verify as fine. I have not attempted to restore yet as I am not in the mood to reload this pc lately, lol.

16. Menorcaman

Hello Gordon

I use Nero Burning ROM Version 6. It lets you drag files (up to seven 635 MB .tib files) into a New Compilation window and burn an ISO 9660 DVD (see screenshot below). If my image creates more than seven .tib files I just burn additional compilations for the remainder.

Nero 6 also burns DVD ROM (UDF) disks (this isn't the same as packet writing a UDF formatted DVD RW). This allows you to let TI split an image automatically (if the image is larger than the FAT32 limit) to a hard drive . The resultant 4GB .tib files can then be burnt as a compilation to one or more DVD ROM (UDF) disks.

I don't use Roxio but I'm surprised that you say it can't do something similar to the above.

Regards

Attached Files:

17. moisture

moisture Guest

All I want is to burn an image to my DVD+/-R without jumping thru all these hoops! I paid good money for this software and it should do what it pretends to do. With all the money we pay for this software Acronis should spend the time to develop the ability to write images to ALL types of hardware.

I'm selling my software at my yard sale next spring!!!

18. Mark Draft

Mark Draft Guest

I agree. I bought this and I'm going through all kinds of hoops to get it to work. I had to unable XP's write to DVD and download and install "HP DLA". But that makes Windows XP complain about an error every time I reboot.

After backing up 4 weeks worth now TI doesn't allow me to mount a drive because my backups span 2 DVDs

A waste of money.

19. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

Menorcaman

Just a bit of INFO, I have both NERO and Roxio Easy CD/DVD creator software on my system. Roxio has the same functionality of drag and drop as does NERO.

Storage_man

20. Menorcaman

Hi there Storage_man,

Thanks for the confirmation that Roxio more or less duplicates the functionality of Nero (or should that be the other way around? :D).

Regards

21. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello changhao,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

As for the problem with burning your images directly to DVD. Please make sure that you have an appropriate UDF packet DVD writing software and all of your DVDs are properly formatted according to this FAQ article.

Please also note that this is a normal situation when a DVD writer is shown as a CD burner in Acronis True Image. This doesn't affect the device's functionality and you can use DVD.

What concerns the problem with booting from the special Bootable Rescue CD, please provide me with the more detailed information on the problem.

Please describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Tell me if you have received any error messages. What exact messages?

When exactly your PC reboots? Do you see "Starting Acronis Loader..." message?

Please also find the full version name and build number as it is shown here and let me know them.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

22. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Your collaboration on this matter is very much appreciated.

Please note that I've forwarded your remark to the appropriate person and he will take care of it as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

23. Acronis Support

Hello Mark Draft,

Please note that in order to mount an image spanned over a several CDs\DVDs you should copy all the files from all discs to one separate folder and then start a mounting process.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

24. Menorcaman

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for your reply. Just to let you know that my remark about the 2 GB file size was actioned by Acronis some months ago by amending True Image Online FAQ #20 to read 2000 MB.

Kind regards
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.