Allow RunDLL32.exe to install a driver?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by frogfoot, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frogfoot

frogfoot Registered Member

Hi,
    I have just installed PG3 final, and when opening the 'Options' tab in the ATI control panel a PG baloon pops up to report that RunDLL32.exe tried to install a driver. Shoul I allow this? Or could RunDLL32 be used maliciously to install something nasty?
    By the way, in the PG3 beta clicking on the 'Options' tab caused a blue screen. So that is a great step forward.

Thanks
    Tom

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Frogfoot, rundll32 is a windows system program and can be trusted, clicking the alert will show that it is in the system32 folder I believe :)

Cheers. Pilli

3. frogfoot

Pilli Thanks for the prompt response. I apreciate RUNDLL32.exe is a Windows component, but could it be used by a 3rd party application, one which has previously been allowed to run, to install a driver, even if that application does not have driver install privs?
    Thanks again
    Tom

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Currently there are no risks associated with rundll32 :D

Pilli.

5. frogfoot

Thanks Pilli
    Tom

6. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

You will also have to give Rundll32.exe access to Physical Memory for some programs such BelArc Advisory.

7. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

You will need to let it install global hooks if you have a Nvidia graphics card.

8. frogfoot

As I have just found out Physical Memory is required to display the options tab in the display properties for ATI graphics cards (at least the latest 4.10 drivers)
    Tom

9. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

any side effect to allowing RunDLL32 to access physical memory? I want to be clear as to what is going on here. If we all just blindly start allowing things to get rid of crashes, then the usefulness of having PG installed in the first place seems diminished.

Can someone from DCS please comment?
    thanks

10. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

RunDLL is sort of a small risk because some things can use it to load their DLL, however typically there needs to be another malicious EXE already running to do this (which sort of makes the point of calling RUNDLL invalid). I would put RunDLL on "Permit Once" and just allow it each time so I could monitor the COMMAND LINE parameters sent to it (which basically tell you what it is doing). It is sort of annoying if you need to do it every reboot, but for me it isn't that big a deal.

I sort of prefer getting the execution protection prompt before running most things now, I only permit always my startup applications.

11. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

Thanks Jason! PG 3 is a monumentous achievement! :)

12. PodMan

PodMan Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.