Sched2 termination of C++ Runtime

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sded, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sded

sded Registered Member

When I try to create an image, full or incremental, I am getting an error message like "C++ runtime library has been asked by sched2 to terminate in an unusual manner", and ATI closes down. But it goes ahead and makes an image unless I stop it, so the spawned process seems ok. If I kill the imaging and repeat the process, everything occurs normally. And the images are fine; I did a full restore yesterday after this happened. This is with 8.0 build 774.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I had the exact same error after installing Build 774 over the top of Build 771. It occurred during the first use of TI in a new Windows session. Subsequent restarts of TI in the same session were o.k. Seemed to me like a Registry problem. Unistalled Build 774, purged the Registry of all TrueImage keys and then reinstalled. Problem resolved.

I feel Acronis needs to scrutinise the TI installation routines. The uninstall/purge/reinstall process seems to overcome a number of problems reported by users after they installed a TI update.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  3. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

same problem here.... even after clean install of TI8 so must be something to this.... :doubt:

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

We do know about this problem.

The possible workaround is to completely uninstall Acronis True Image, clean the registry and perform a clear installation of the 774 build.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

5. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

Can someone post instructions as to which registry keys need to be removed in order to perform this "clean" installation?

6. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

I just had this same exact problem. Guess I need to do this too.

7. Menorcaman

It would be difficult to produce a definitive list as there are too many variables e.g. Server version versus non-Server version, local language version, whether installed for all users or not, etc. However, in the case of my system configuration, after uninstalling Build 774 and carrying out a Regedit search for "TrueImage" (not "True Image" ) I ended up manually deleting the following primary HKEY entries:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ - deleted the TrueImage.exe key
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\xxxyyyzzz\ - deleted the CLSID that contains the data C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\tishell.dll
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\ - deleted the .tib key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs\Acronis\ - deleted the TrueImage key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache - deleted the TrueImage key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\ - deleted the LEGACY_TIFSFILTER key (needed to right click on the key, select "Permissions" and tick "Allow">"Full Control" in order to enable deletion)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Enum\Root\ - deleted the LEGACY_TIFSFILTER key (again, needed to right click on the key, select "Permissions" and tick "Allow">"Full Control" in order to enable deletion)

Any secondary HKEY tree enteries will be deleted automatically when deleting the primary HKEY entries.

It goes without saying that you should create a Windows System Restore Point prior to hacking around in the Registry.

Anyway, hope the above helps.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  8. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

Running WinXP Home SP2. New user to TI 8.0. Was the having the exact same trouble as 1st poster. Just finished uninstalling TI 8.0 build 774, cleaning all references to TrueImage out of the registry (only found 2 locations, one with multiple entries). I am using a USB 2.0 80GM hard drive that I want to keep backups on. I also reformatted that to NTFS rather than leave it FAT32.

Re-installed TI 8.0 build 774 after all of the above. Create Image (full backup) worked fine. No errors. Check Image also worked fine, no errors. I then restored 7-8 data files from the image archive on the external HD to my C: drive. Everything worked great.
    Boot CD also works good.

Only thing out of the ordinary that happens is some entries in Event Viewer, one about a controller error on the external hard drive, it references "device/harddisk3/D".

Is this referring to D drive (which is a ZIP drive) or harddisk 3 which ever one that is??
    Believe this error happened when a drive letter was being assigned to the backup archive.

Other 4 errors were warnings saying "the system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur". No idea what this is and link to MS doesn't offer much help. Who knows?

9. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Don't worry about it. This error occurs when you mount an image of an NTFS drive and then unmount it. Since it's a read-only drive, XP cannot update the access times and generates an error. It's entirely expected in this case.

10. Acronis Support

Hello all,

We have reproduced this problem in our Teating Lab and our developers will fix it soon. I will post here as soon as this problem be resolved.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

11. beenthereb4

Andrew:

You are doing a great job, but this error has existed over many versions going back to all versions of 7. A fix was promised other times and never has materialized. Anyway, it's just annoying and not really a problem.

12. Acronis Support

Hello beenthereb4,

Can you please confirm that this problem exists starting from the 7.0 version? Also please try to remember the build number. Did this error exist before the 8.0 version was released? Our developer is working on this problem right now. This information will let us investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you for your feedback.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

13. beenthereb4

I just did a quick search for "Transaction Log" and will give you one of the links from before TI version 8 was released:

Error

14. Menorcaman

Hello Andrew

Bit of confusion here. Which problem are you refering to, the Sched2 termination of C++ Runtime error or the unmounting NTFS image error mentioned by beenthereb4?

As far as my system is concerned, I can advise that the C++Runtime error only occurred after the installation of Build 774. I didn't experience the error prior to that (versions 6, 7 and 8 up to Build 771).

Regards

15. Acronis Support

Well... Thank you for your answers and for the link. Actually, I was interested in the "Schedul2.exe termination" error.

Our developer who is responsible for the scheduler service has fixed this error today and we should await a new build in order to see if it has been really fixed. The thing is that the appearance of this error message is very unstable and our developer cannot guarantee that exactly this problem has been fixed today.

Regarding the "Transaction Log" error I don't have any comments at the moment. As I understood from the thread that beenthereb4 pointed to this error message is not important.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

16. Menorcaman

Hello Andrew

Thanks for the info. As far as I can tell Build 774 is the best yet. Perhaps you need to stand over your developers with a big stick to ensure that they don't "break" the working features in this build as has happened in the past :D. Anyway, I look forward to trying the next update when available.

Regards

17. Jim A

Jim A Guest

Can the "Sched2 termination of C++ Runtime error" message be safely ignored?

18. Menorcaman

Hello Jim

Experience to date suggests that the error can be ignored. However, it's not an ideal situation and Acronis are attempting to come up wih a fix for inclusion in a future build.

Regards

19. Bratboy

Bratboy Registered Member

Many MANY thanks to Menorcaman for his post #7. I've been all over this forum looking for solutions to error messages and my inabilility to create a boot CD (even the 6-diskette project blew up on diskette #6).

If you go to his post, you will see that the solution is not pretty. But after making yet another coaster I figured, why not try? All of his steps are important (registry backup, set restore point etc.)

Since I had never edited the registry, I found that to be a struggle. To help others who may go down this path, I would advise that, after every registry edit that you do, re-shrink the tree structure (clicking on the - in front of the folder) so that you see the four or five main folders. That simplifies selecting the right thread for the next edit.

When finished with the reg editing, re-boot and re-install whatever version you're on (ver 8, build 774 for me). Yes, you'll need your ver 8 registration BUT I also was prompted for my ver 7 registration, too. Be prepared.

I burned the CD-R and re-booted. Voila! TI loaded from the CD!
    Unfortunately, Menorcaman's post is here on page 6 or 7 yet his wisdom applies to so many of the forum subjects.

Hoping this helps ... Chris

20. tomi

tomi Guest

i have the same problem with the runtime error 12 costers so far the process does not finish burning to media gets 2 seconds from being complete then locks the drive up of my writer and the only way i can get the write from spining is to reset my pc

21. krunkle5150

krunkle5150 Guest

Andrew I am desperate for this fix. Has Acronis released it yet?

22. krunkle5150

krunkle5150 Guest

Confused: last night I tried several attempts at creating an image but repeatedly got the "sched2 C++ runtime error", I tried restarting my laptop as well but it made no difference. I turned my laptop off and tried angain this morning and no error!!

Anyway, I will still wait for the fix from Acronis as this problem seems to target me on random basis.

All in all, I love this product and will stick with Acronis through the lows as well as the highs. I have tried other imaging software and I still think Trueimage is superior. Thanks.

23. Menorcaman

Hi

It's a non critical error message which can be ignored. Just click on "O.K." and continue what you were doing with TI at the time. Despite me thinking that an uninstall/Registry purge/reinstall cured the problem (see my post at #2 above), the error message still pops up from time to time.

Anyway, the good news is Acronis has identified the problem and confirmed that the fix will be included in the next update.

Regards

24. Acronis Support

Hello all,

The thing is that we are going to release a new product called Acronis True Image Enterprise and now our Development and Testing Team are very busy with it. However, the new build has been already assembled and as soon as our testing Team approves it it will be available at http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/.

Thank you.

25. krunkle5150

krunkle5150 Guest

Thank you to Menorcaman and Andrew for your feedback. As suggested, I ignored the runtime error and created the image with no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.