MRU Blaster released

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by Paul Wilders, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Javacool has done it again:

"Much like ID-Blaster, MRU-Blaster helps protect your privacy - but there is a big difference.

MRU-Blaster is an all-new program, made to do one large task - detect and clean MRU (most recently used) lists on your computer. These MRU lists contain information such as the names and/or locations of the last files you have accessed. But they are located ALL OVER your registry, and for almost ANY file type. By looking at these MRU lists, someone could determine what files you opened/saved/looked at, what their file names were, and much more! (And, in many cases, the lists are displayed in drop-down menus automatically.)"

More info, specs and download here

regards.

paul

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2005
  2. claire

claire Guest

Hi,
    Sorry if I ask a dumb question but to what extend is this prog different of the tool contained in SPYBOT?
    Regards :)

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Spybot does scan and detect a couple MRU lists, and delete usage tracks for some programs, however it does so with everything else (and is not dedicated to performing just that). Spybot S & D is an excellent spyware and pest detection and removal program - I use it every day, myself. It detects some MRU lists on the side (but it is not its main purpose).

MRU-Blaster is dedicated to scanning and cleaning MRU lists on your computer, and has a larger database to search for (approx. 5520 items in the latest detection database). Also, MRU-Blaster has a VERY quick scan time (a couple seconds, at most), so you can quickly rid your computer of those MRU lists.

MRU-Blaster will also be frequently updated to target more and more MRU lists. 5,000 items is just a start. :)

Hope this helps. :)

-Javacool

P.S. If you are still unsure, you can always download MRU-Blaster and test it out. I can almost guarantee it will find numerous items on your system. And there is an uninstaller built-in if you still have any misgivings.

4. claire

claire Guest

Thank you very much for your answer Javacool,
    As I already use ID Blaster ,I'll give a try to MRU Blaster :)

5. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Its good too, found 29 items that Spybot missed. :)

6. javacool

An update is coming soon that adds more items to the database, and also adds a new option: a "-silent" parameter. With the new silent cleaning option, you can set up MRU-Blaster to silently, in the background, scan and clean your MRU lists, and then exit - and it only takes 1 or 2 seconds. :)

Look for it very soon.
    UPDATE: See post below. :D

-Javacool

7. Paul Wilders

8. claire

claire Guest

Hi,
    Here I am again.
    I gave a try to MRUBLASTER and it found nothing.
    SPYBOT foundwindows explorer stream history,windows explorer user assistant history file and user assistant history IE(18 files).Is it normal?
    Anyway I'll give a try to the new updated version
    Thanks in advance for your answer :)

9. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

My compliments Javacool: small, effective and fast.
    One question though ;): I would like to keep the list for the Start > RUN dialog. Do I have to uncheck something ? And wich one?

Regards,

Pieter

10. javacool

It is normal for it to find nothing on some system configurations. :) It depends a lot on what programs you have installed and what programs you use. (And also if you have run any other cleaners, of course.)

Spybot currently detects one or two MRU lists that MRU-Blaster does not detect (however, MRU-Blaster detects many that Spybot does not detect). Again, depending on what other programs you use, and what other programs you have installed, you may not have as many MRU lists on your system. (Or it is possible that you have your system set up not to create them for certain things.)

If you want to be sure that MRU-Blaster is actually working (although the "0" detection is a VERY good sign), you can go to the Start Menu, click on Run, and type in "calc" - it may or may not execute the windows calculator. If it does, run MRU-Blaster again - it should detect at least one or two items (since the run dialog keeps a list of everything you have entered into it). (If it doesn't run the calculator, then it won't record that into an MRU list.)

Hope this helps. :)

-Javacool

11. javacool

You can uncheck items that you don't want deleted in the "Show Results" screen. Currently, you would have to uncheck every item that begins with "Windows Explorer - Run Dialog MRU" to prevent those entries from being deleted.

I may incorporate further improvements to the ease of this in the future - including a permanent "ignore" option - so keep watching! :)

-Javacool

12. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Thnx for the swift answer and I sure will check for updates :cool:

Regards,

Pieter

13. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi javacool!

Hard at work again I see! I am interested in this. Is it for all Windows platforms? Do the MRU's make accessing files quicker? What if I want to save some just so I can remember where I left off? Would it then be possible to stick them into an encrypted folder? Then get rid of the excess that are not needed. TIA!

Best regards from Larry! ;)

14. Prince_Serendip

15. javacool

To answer your questions:

-Yes, it is compatible with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP.
    -The only potential benefit for MRUs is in (for example) the file-save as menu in Word XP - in that case, you could click in the drop down menu to see the names of previous files saved. Also, in Word XP, in the File menu there is typically a list of the last 4 (or so) files opened. Those are both MRUs. If you don't find those useful (and in my opinion, they are more of a privacy risk than useful) then it does not make accessing files quicker, no.
    -See above for more information on MRUs. However, if you do want to save some, after scanning click the "show results" button instead of the "clean now" button. On the Show Results screen, you have the option to uncheck any items you do not want deleted (however, I do not think you would really have a need for any of them - except in certain circumstances, such as in Pieter's case).
    -Currently, no such feature is implemented. However, you bring up an interesting idea... :)

Hope this helps.

-Javacool

16. javacool

Download works fine here.

You might try disabling any download accelerators/helpers (I'm not exactly sure if the wilders.org server supports them).

If it still doesn't work, let me know.

-Javacool

17. Prince_Serendip

:) Thanks javacool!!

It is perhaps just as well that we encountered this problem. I use Star Downloader with my IE. I am now using my alternate browser, Opera! I had no problem downloading with it. This will help others.

Best regards from Larry! ;)

18. Paul Wilders

For the record: we do support download managers - even encourage the use of these.

regards.

paul

19. yodafan

yodafan Guest

OMG OMG!!!!

I've been looking for a program like this.....woooohoooo thanx javacool, u r awsome dude.

YODA :D

20. Prince_Serendip

:) Hi javacool!

Putting the few MRU's I'd like to keep into an encrypted folder is a piece of cake for me. I have the early unlimited freeware version of Encypter.exe. (It's now time limited payware.) It's a very easy proggy to use and maintain. I see you're point and thanks for answering my questions. This app is obviously a winner!

Best regards from Larry! :)

21. Ghost

Ghost Guest

It certainly pointed out the differences of the sites and usages that this computer gets put to here by different users.

I down-loaded and installed it yesterday (after having already run SpyBot, Internet Sweeper and having all my normal defensive programs running while surfing). It didn't "find" anything to remove.

After getting up this morning (the computer having been used last night by other family members) , I read this post and ran it - and sure enough, it came up with
    36 entries, which I promptly had it remove.

Things get dis-abled and not run when you're not the one in front of the computer, it would seem.

Thank you.

22. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Wondering if you had run spybot first if it would have found the same things. Do you remember what kind they were?

I think this is a great tool and will get better as many of the other MRU are IDed and put into this tool. Seems already some users have found it exceptional.

23. Prince_Serendip

:) Hello Everyone!

I concur with John. Did my first scan this morning. It found Windows Explorer Run Dialogs. Six of them. I cleaned them all. It did not affect the files I have listed in WordPad. It is quick, efficient and runs very smooth!

It now has a Prince Serendip 5 Smiles Rating!
    :D :D :D :D :D

You have got to love an application like this one! :cool:

Best regards from Larry!

24. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Javacool THANKS !!!!!

Just downloaded it and found ......ahum........122 items.

ALL clean now ! Great job!

25. javacool

A small note to make: the MRU lists do reappear over time. In fact, if you run MRU-Blaster two times (with an hour period in between) you will most likely find a number of items back again.

ALSO, since the MRU lists are different for each user on the computer, it might help to run MRU-Blaster logged in as each user (depending on the OS, you may find 500 or so more items on the second, third, fourth, etc users).

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.