processes at startup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by videobruce, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. videobruce

videobruce Registered Member

Running 2k, there are 3 processes loaded at startup:

schedul2.exe
    TrueImageMomito
    schedlhlp.exe

Are these REALLY necessary?
    Apparently at least one is since I disabled all three using MSConfig and the program didn't start the image creation. It just hung on the progress screen.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello videobruce,

schedul2.exe -- Acronis scheduling service.
    This service is started on the computer startup and remains active until the computer is turned off. It is used by Acronis software to start scheduled tasks. Note that Acronis True Image 7.0 always schedule image creation tasks, even if you start the "Image creation" operation. Thus if you stop Acronis scheduling service, then you loose the ability to create images in Windows.

schedhlp.exe -- Acronis scheduling service helper
    This program monitors the logons and logoffs in the running system and notifies Acronis scheduling service about them. It is started when a user logs into the system and terminates when the user logs off. Acronis True Image 7.0 uses this program to schedule tasks on user logon/logoff and to run non-scheduled "Image creation" operation.

TrueImageMonitor.exe -- Acronis True Image Monitor
    This program provides the interface between running Acronis True Image tasks and the user. It allows to observe the tasks progress and cancel the running tasks. It is started when a user logs into the system and terminates when the user logs off. This program is not required by Acronis True Image to perform its tasks, and can be terminated if you think it occupies too much memory, but you will loose the ability to control running Acronis True Image tasks.

All Acronis resident modules uses very little amount of physical memory in normal state (when no imaging or other task is performed) since operating system swaps them off to the swap file on the hard disk.

Hopefully informed you well.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis support department
    e-mail: support@acronis.com

Acronis... compute with confidence

3. videobruce

Thanks for the quick and complete reply. This should be a FAQ!

If I understand it correctly only "schedul2.exe" is REALLY needed, correct?

4. Acronis Support

Hello videobruce,

You are wrong. Please note that Acronis True Image uses "shedhlp.exe" to schedule tasks on user logon/logoff and to run non-scheduled "Create Image" operation. So if you stop this service you won't be able to create images.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Acronis, Inc.

5. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Apologies for posting within this thread but the running services have always puzzled me. I appreciate the information given but would like to clarify
    I am not sure what is meant by 'control'. Would this affect the way I use TI as a bcakup image when I evoke the program to create full backups and do not schedule or use the incremental feature?

Thanks in advance I know know I should keep the other two running but am a little confused about the third one o_O

6. videobruce

I don't need anything to run on a schedule. I perfer doing it myself. I wish these s/w makers would realize that and stop trying to sell something with non defeatable automatic functions. Mind you, it's a nice program, but;

KISS.................

7. Acronis Support

Robin,

You can kill the "TrueImageMonitor.exe" process. You won't be able to stop the running tasks.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Acronis, Inc.

8. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks for this as I will hopefully be re-installing TI soon and the first thing I was going to do was stop the running processes and only enable when I used TI to backup :oops: Hopefully all will go well when I re-install and at least do without the 'TrueImageMonitor.exe' running in the background.

9. Laurelton

Laurelton Registered Member

Hi Andrew,

Re: Acronis Services, you answered the following a while ago:

A few follow-up questions:

1- Are the descriptions above exactly the same for TI8?

2- I don't plan to have ANY scheduled tasks within TI; all my imaging will be "on demand". a) Do I still need the two startup tasks? b) can I set the service to 'manual' and start it just before I start TI8?

Thanks again!

10. videobruce

Is there any way those processes can be stopped and the program fooled into thinking they aren't so it can be run anyway? Since I don't do ANY automated functions and don't need something done when I'm not here even though they don't take up much memory, they are still there and NOT needed 99.44% of the time!

BTW, that "KISS................." that was in the above meant keep it simple stupid, just so someone doesn't misunderstand.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  11. Fcoloud

Fcoloud Guest

12. videobruce

Better read closer next time. I said they aren't needed to run when the program isn't running!

13. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

And indeed they are not running. They have been paged out and remain in standby, thus taking no RAM away and absolutely 0 cycles from your processor. The reside in a virtual address ntil the pager goes and fetches tham as they are needed, until them, they will show up in Task Manager, however if you enable the VM item in TM you'll see that the inprint is terms of memory used is almost 100% virtual. Modern OS architecture is geared toward multitasking, hence the extensive use of virtual addressing and standby mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.