Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Interesting thoughts. That could explain why I have never witnessed the Logs button issue even though I mess around with it multiple times per day. I have always had .NET installed and patched up prior to installing BitDefender. Who knows, it is an interesting thought though. With the quarantine thing, I can see how the Logs button could be a big issue if it happened at the worst possible time. Hopefully the developers will chime in again at some point.

2. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Yes, I am starting to like this product and would like to see developers support and develop the product. Sadly no support even in BD forums for free version :)

3. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

4. KaptainBug

Yes, if you look around you will find that only users respond for issues. No replies from BD mods. Thats why I mentioned free version. For paid version BD mods are active in their forum.

5. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I too like BD Free but uninstalled for couple reasons.
    1. Support is now inexistent.
    2. It blocks malware file but Quarantining the files takes time & dont like file is not moved to quarantine folder but it remains in the location in unusable state.
    3. OnDemand Scan is tooooooooo slow.
    4. Attimes logs button probs.

This is a good free product & hope doesn't go Outlook Security Free way i.e No Upgrades.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. khanyash

The logs button has the prob.

I installed BD Free on 2 systems.
    XP SP3 32 Bits Eng - .Net installed with BD, logs button prob was there.
    Win 7 64 Bits Eng - .Net was installed already, logs button prob was there.

But yes, a system restart always solved the issue.

7. WildByDesign

Wow, I just realized now that they haven't even done any product/engine updates since October 2013. Virus signatures are coming in daily, but it looks like they haven't updated the product/engine for a while.

I can confirm that I have finally experienced the Logs button issue now. And as pretty much everyone has stated in the past, there is no clear cut way to reproduce the issue. Very random indeed.

I don't really want to change to another antivirus right now since I do like how light this product is on resources, but I don't exactly want to stay aboard a sinking ship either.

8. khanyash

hxxp://downloads.comodo.com/securitytests/TrojanSimulator.zip
    hxxp://downloads.comodo.com/securitytests/DeleteVolume.zip

Above are harmless links from testmypcsecurity.
    Anyone with BD Free installed can check above 2 links & post how BD Webshield reacts? Plzz test the links 3-4 times with Internet Explorer & Google Chrome both. I am getting inconsistent & different results.

And in Internet Explorer, plzz also check downloading the file by ignoring Webshield message. I am not getting the download window. Google Chrome is fine in this case.

And this is happening after I took ownership of C - Users - "User Name" folder as the folder was not opening & corrupted, Temporary Internet Files folder was also corrupted & not opening. I took the ownership of "User Name" folder with TakeOwnership program & this solved both the folders issue.

No malware on system.
    Win 7 64 Eng

9. KaptainBug

Yes they seem to be random. Sometimes it blocks and sometimes it downloads.

10. khanyash

Uninstalled & installed Avast Free.

11. KaptainBug

:thumb:

12. topguynow

topguynow Registered Member

So....how often has Bitdefender Free been updating their signatures?

13. KaptainBug

Very often. Sometimes every hour. I think it checks every 15 mins or so

14. HiltonT

HiltonT Registered Member

I'm running BitDefender Free 1.0.21.1099 here in my machine as a test to see if it is suitable for some home users I know. The issue with being unable to restore quarantined files still exists and therefore makes it totally unsuitable as a product for home users (or commercial users, for that matter).

15. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Right it checks every 15 mins for databases. and every 60 for program updates

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  16. khanyash

In Internet Explorer, plzz check downloading any file by ignoring Webshield message. I am not getting the download window. Google Chrome is fine in this case.

By the way, if it detects a file as malware in archives i.e zip, it deletes the file instead of quarantine.

17. KaptainBug

I'm not using it anymore, but yes it deletes the file from zip..

18. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

after using it for almost 7 months i finally uninstalled it today after it caused a big issue.note that i have never experienced logs button issue so uninstalling it was not a simple decision.here is what happened:
    it detected 2 programs from nirsoft(chromepass.exe & iepv.exe) as malicious & even after quarantining them asked for a system restart but i didn't & went to sleep.after few hours when i woke up & checked my scheduled downloads i found programs giving me winsock error.i restarted & pc took a long time to login & gave "couldn't connect to system event notification service" error along with "no network connection detected error".i uninstalled BD Free but still no success(the usual netsh commands failed too with nshhttp.dll failed error).i finally solved the issue by deleting existing winsock & winsock2 registry entries & importing these entries from another system running same version of windows as mine.after this i also have to use reset winsock command.an average person would surely have to do a repair or re-install of windows.this program is definitely not for average users.

as of now i would recommend this program only to hard-core techies with more than 1 system who don't mind a few challenges.frankly speaking i can still use this program as i am certain no matter what issue it may cause i can figure it out,however i am choosing not to.i would rather use my skills for problems i can not avoid instead of solving problems i can avoid.

19. KaptainBug

wise decision.. they just don't care about this product which otherwise has a great potential..

20. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Well said. I can't understand why they released this product if they don't fix any bugs. Bad advertisement. :blink:

21. anon

anon Registered Member

22. WildByDesign

I tried it briefly but was not very impressed. The silly futuristic UI drove me insane plus just didn't like the overall use of it.

That reminds me, does anybody still use Kaspersky AVP Tool? Is it still good?

It's been a few years since I last used it. It looks like they haven't updated the program portion of it for quite a while now, but obviously it still does get daily signature updates.

23. KaptainBug

24. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

So is this product pretty much abandoned? When was the last program update? A shame a product with such potential seems to be a low-priority for BD.

25. KaptainBug

Last updated oct 2013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.