Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

What do you mean by block ads ? Avira does not block ads.

2. anon

anon Registered Member

ABS includes a security check to our new Avira URL cloud
    Ok.

Question:
    If the page passes the URL security check level, then it is saved in a temporary folder and scanned by the scanning engine for malicious content?
    Yes or No?

If no and again you insist that ABS has better protection than WebGuard:
    you make mistake or or you are saying lies for a reason. Sorry, but I have to say that.

ABS it's an URL checker.
    With WebGuard = ..... If the page passes this level, it is saved in a temporary folder and scanned by the scanning engine for malicious content.

Please re read=

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  3. jack76

jack76 Registered Member

yes u are right,first one is Avira SafeSearch.Those color codes are so light colored that u don´t see them very well

4. anon

anon Registered Member

=
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2347861&postcount=1

Any comments?

5. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

MR Travis still need some clarification
    the current free version do not offer web protection anymore?(due to removed toolbar)
    it only offer avira browser security?>

6. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

So confused...
    ABS is not web protection
    it scan on the fly(no temporarly files including in avira temp folder(just a broowser plugin)similar products like avast chrome extension,BitDefender traffic light)it will check the url while you click or surfing,when it found malicious site it will redirect you an blocking page of ABS but you can choose to white list it or continue anyway(like google malware detection or Microsoft smart screen)
    unlike web protection, web protection aka web guard it will monitor the all the download or whole internet traffic through port 80,8080,3128
    so when the page was safe originally but it contain some driver-by protection or injacked with harmful js
    web protection can scan and promote a screen but abs may not be protect it anyway(Not sure this is correct or wrong)

ABS like a cloud version of current avira web protection web filter but is not an web protection

7. anon

anon Registered Member

8. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

9. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

Huh. I'm still getting the bug. Windows 7 SP1 32 bit fully updated. Clean install of Avira 14.0.3.350 (whose control panel says it's working correctly), while Windows Security Center is giving me two messages - "Click to see antispyware programs (Important)", and "Turn on Avira Desktop (Important)". Clicking on "Turn on Avira Desktop" (and clicking on the option that says "I trust the publisher and want to run this program" does not get rid of the WSC warning flag.

<Update>
    I did an update from within Avira (right-click the Avira icon in the system tray and select "Start Update"), and the WSC flag went back to normal. Is what I'm seeing normal (post-bug-fix) behavior? Thanks!

10. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I thought everyone disabled the WSC anyway? That's one of the first annoyances I turn off. I haven't seen the WSC, or a WSC warning in many many years.

11. KaptainBug

IMO its a bad idea to disable WSC

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

are you guys working on the slowdown on startup currently? i really would like to use avira but just cant with a system i have to turn off all day as i travel i do not use hibernate on laptops. i do see the wsc issue appears to be fixed at least so far it looks that way. so thanks for that one but please get on the other issue asap?

13. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Has any progress been made in relation too the Start-up Contact with Windows Firewall. As a Past and Present user of Avira...why didn't Avira Continue to use their existing firewall? I never experienced any of the Current problems with the Older Technology. C'mon Guys...German Engineering should have much more up it's sleeve...than cost-cutting...paper mache...Solutions! Sincerely...Securon

14. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Any idea about Avira Professional Security? Can it be installed for personal use for a single laptop? I find it cheaper than the home version. I need it only for a single system. But even a trial for the professional version requires giving company info etc:doubt:

15. Securon

Good Morning! sm1...I agree about personal info/company info...and for a Trial version...completely unnecessary. Sincerely...Securon

16. marv04

marv04 Registered Member

When will we see changes to the user interface ?

17. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What kind of changes are you looking for?

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

For answers about Avira firewall see here.http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1623

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i actually like the gui. im not sure any real huge changes are needed. at least for me the gui is great and simple to use.

20. Securon

Good Evening! Hammer!...My take on the firewall protocol is it seems Microsoft is issuing an ultimatum Avira's way too do it our way or else. Seems like a case of good old fashioned brass knuckles business practice. If that's the way business is being conducted...then it seems the Firewall Issue as it stands would be up to Microsoft to implement a fix for Avira. I find this to be totally unacceptable for Loyal Paying Customers. Sincerely...Securon

21. marv04

marv04 Registered Member

I think the user interface looks a bit outdated on my windows 8.1 machine (especially regarding the pop-up alerts that still use the Windows XP buttons). I switched back to Avira after my license of Nod32 expired (Very well designed program, by the way!). In my opinion Avira is finally back to business and they are definitely on the right way regarding its excellent protection.

However, what bothers me is the fact that you cant resize the user interface. It will always remain at its 4:3 form factor, which is honestly a shame on a standard 16:9 Monitor.

Let's make this Interface a modern looking one and take it to the same professional level the protection already is at.

Protection and system impact of course is the most important part of an AV, but how it looks and behaves is what the most casual users are looking at. Afters switching from Eset to Avira the UI is quite a letdown. I'm personally aware of all the new technical stuff that hides under its interface, but im not gonna lie, the interface never gave me the impression of being protected.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  22. KaptainBug

IMO present GUI is simple and great. Easy to navigate and understand even for first time users.

23. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I'd prefer a Win8X interface, but it is what it is.

I had to uninstall Avira due to how much it slows down boots - and they seemingly can't fix the issue.

24. KaptainBug

I don't know why so many of you experience slow boot. I have Avira free on my HDD with realtime protection and web-protection on, firewall disabled. My system boots in 21-23 seconds on my Windows 8 machine. Is this still slow(on a serious note) ?

25. 800ster

800ster Registered Member

Same here, Avira AV Suite (realtime, web, firewall control) does not slow boot at all, 25secs on my Win8.1 x64 PC with or without Avira installed. It is always harder to fix a problem if not everybody experiences it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.