MBAM 2.00 Beta Released.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by 1PW, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Next beta version of mbam.exe will use less than ~50 mb. We'll keep improving.

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I've never seen v2 beta that low. Are you sure you are looking at processes for all users? There should be 3-4.

3. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

mbam.exe - 138,104

mbamservice.exe - 65,420

mbamscheduler,exe - 5140

My previous post just included mbam.exe, for some reason it is less now.

A question, MBAE is only using 452 k, does that seem right?

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just updated to the new version of the beta (MBAM found and downloaded the updated beta version), and like the previous release it is working really well.

The default threat scan took 21 minutes to complete, with a lot of the time spent scanning my downloads folder which currently has over 700 files in it - the result of a year and half of downloading. If I was to clean out my downloads folder the scan time would be a lot quicker.

It is nice that you can now actually see what has been detected during scans, rather than having to wait for the scan to complete first.

The peak memory use for the three MBAM processes (I have both real time protection modules disabled) is 530MB, which may seem excessively high, but it doesn't concern me as I've got 4GB of RAM.

I haven't tried the real time protection yet, as in the 1.x versions it made my computer run slower, but may do so soon.

This is an excellent product which is getting even better and I'm glad I became a registered user :)

5. digmor crusher

My Threat Scan took 7 minutes 36 seconds, but I only have 92 GB on my C drive and 12 GB of ram.

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The threat scan does not scan your entire hard drive, so the amount of data on your drive does not matter. What will make scan times longer will be things like having more system files or more files in your Downloads folder.

7. digmor crusher

Good to know, thanks.

8. AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup Security Expert

Any location where there are known load points will be scanned so if you had thousands of files or folders in one of those locations then yes it would effect scan times. Having more archived files will as well as they will need to be unpacked to be scanned.

I've seen a few worms where the user had millions of files and the scanner obviously looked frozen and finally a temporary file cleaner was ran and it took over night for the temporary file cleaner to finish. Then the scanner worked just fine. The point being that the amount of files and folders and types can certainly matter depending on where they're located.

9. ky331

ky331 Registered Member

MBAM 2.x.0503 crashed when I tried to save the scan's log file after running a hyperscan:

Faulting application name: mbam.exe, version: 1.0.0.454, time stamp: 0x52f501f4
    Faulting module name: QtCore4.dll, version: 4.8.4.0, time stamp: 0x51352df8
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0010ebb3
    Faulting process id: 0xa78
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cf28c4cd4d18db
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\QtCore4.dll
    Report Id: b4a6a18f-94b9-11e3-8b74-b4b52fab558f

============

System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2014-02-13T14:18:28.000000000Z

EventRecordID 27048

Channel Application

Computer <name removed>

Security

- EventData

mbam.exe
    52f501f4
    QtCore4.dll
    51352df8
    c0000005
    0010ebb3
    a78
    01cf28c4cd4d18db
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\QtCore4.dll
    b4a6a18f-94b9-11e3-8b74-b4b52fab558f

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

It seems after the recent update, I lost all my web filter exclusions, and MBAM is back to blocking things like Skype, etc...

11. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Thanks for the feedback, sending this back to the team.

12. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

13. AdvancedSetup

The loss of exclusions in the latest update procedure was reported and appears to be a known issue. Thank you for the feedback - this should be corrected in the next version update.

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I've been impresses with the Malwarebytes presence here, and their apparent willingness to listen and fix issues. So many other companies make you go to a different forum, or want you to fill out a formal form, and/or are sticklers for format when reporting bugs.

For instance another company is currently running a beta, and while I like the product, they have very strict format for which you must submit bugs, and it becomes very cumbersome to do. For the most part I gave up reporting any bugs for them in the future, as it was too much of a headache.

15. guest

guest Guest

Can MBAM replace an AV? I mean what is stopping MBAM for saying that is an AV product? what is the difference?

16. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/20818081-Does-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-replace-antivirus-software-

17. guest

guest Guest

is there any test comparing the performance (meaning with performance the system resources usage) against other av's or security products?

18. 800ster

800ster Registered Member

If you mean 3rd party tests then I would say no as this is a (early) beta product. It is also a rewrite of the previous version so any tests of that are not applicable.

19. guest

guest Guest

I know that for this beta there is nothing but was about the stable versions?
    Passmark or AVC have never test it but I wonder if there is something else.

20. siljaline

Attached Files:

21. siljaline

22. controler

controler Guest

ok i have the same problem and feel stupid.

i can't find that folder where directions were listed, on my machine,

I have Chameleon, Imageformats, Languages, and Plugins

On XP

23. siljaline

Although the issue is resolved as prescribed you may attempt the MBAM Clean process - note that your saved log files and user settings will be lost and you may be required to re-register your software.

Go forth at your own risk and peril.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=122284

24. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I missed the kerfuffle or excitement earlier today, depending on ones point of view.

I wasn't running MBAM v2.00 beta at the time...but I am booted into that snapshot, now.

I don't see any problem.

When I booted, I was advised that MBAMSwissArmy.sys had been modified.

ScreenShot_MBAM_v2.00.0.503_Boot_modified file_MBAMSwissArmy.sys_01.gif

ScreenShot_MBAM_v2.00.0.503_Boot_modified file_MBAMSwissArmy.sys_03.gif

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  25. AdvancedSetup

The MBAM Clean Removal Process will in fact remove your registration information. Please ensure that you have a copy before using this tool.

You can read more information about it from the link posted by siljaline

If needed I've written my own tool to save the registration information (not supported by the Malwarebytes Company)

GetMalwarebytesRegistration

Once used please copy the file somewhere else for safe keeping beside your desktop. Running it again later on will overwrite the contents with a blank value if mbam-clean was used.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.