FortiClient Endpoint Security 5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by phyniks, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

I have version 5 on one system. I'd left that box off for about a month, and when I turned it on again, Forticlient did its update. 50% CPU for (I am not exaggerating) about 45 minutes, and this was after it had downloaded whatever it needed. Admittedly it's not the fastest box in the world (2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM), but I'd never seen an AV take this long. (I was watching processes under Task Manager, it was Forticlient's updater running.)

This is the same AV that quarantined tcpip.sys a couple months back, breaking network access for any user unlucky enough to have gotten that particular signature file update. (I saw it first hand, on my brother's PC.)

I actually like the product, but indeed, "there is room for improvement."

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Never had any of those problems above. Granted I don't use any AV at this point as I have no need for one. Sure Forti is the most resource hungry but never 50% CPU while updating. Perhaps you had background scanning turned on.
    Either way in the days that I used Windows I found Forti to be the most complete free AV solution. IT's AV testing results are quite good too. Best of luck.

3. blasev

blasev Registered Member

it depends , my other fav anti virus are emsisoft + panda cloud
    they both have behaviour blocker, but I don't miss it.
    heuristic signature is what I need, that should be more than enough.

I'm moving toward no HIPS / BB set up, just because I like it that way
    less/no pop up makes me happy :D

ymmv, this is personal choice

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I think it doesn't use incremental updates and therefore it freezes the computer while updating?! :doubt:

5. blasev

blasev Registered Member

never freezes my computer, first update is big, but after that I its a very quick proses. btw my download connection is around 80KB/sec. its quite slow I know, but that what I can afford for now.

been using it more than 3 months now, its all fine.
    maybe I'm just the lucky one

6. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Anybody using a Livescribe pen?

When I try to transfer conversations to my laptop, the Livescribe programme crashes. I have excluded the Livescribe programme folder.

When Forticlient is shut down, the s/w works as it should.

EDIT: Forticlient is buying a Livescribe pen to find the bug. Excellent customer service.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  7. ance

Excellent software but sometimes I get the yellow exclamation mark in the systray (Forticlient is not enabled!) even if real time protection is enabled. :doubt:

8. blasev

blasev Registered Member

you should report it to forticlient, because that's not normal.
    never happen to me though.

9. 93036

93036 Registered Member

Is there a way to prevent someone from disabling it?

10. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Configuration lock
    To prevent unauthorized changes to the FortiClient configuration, select the lock icon located at the bottom left of the Settings page. You will be prompted to enter and confirm a password. When the configuration is locked, configuration changes are restricted and FortiClient cannot be shut down or uninstalled.

When the configuration is locked you can perform the following actions:
    • Antivirus
    • Complete an antivirus scan, view threats found, and view logs
    • Select Update Now to update signatures
    • Parental Control
    • View violations
    • Application Firewall
    • View applications blocked
    • Remote Access
    • Configure, edit, or delete an IPsec VPN or SSL VPN connection
    • Connect to a VPN connection
    • Vulnerability Scan
    • Complete a vulnerability scan of the system
    • View vulnerabilities found
    • Register and unregister FortiClient for Endpoint Control
    Settings Page 110 FortiClient v5.0 Patch Release 5 Administration Guide
    FortiTray
    • Settings
    • Export FortiClient logs
    • Backup the FortiClient configuration
    To perform configuration changes or to shut down FortiClient, select the lock icon and enter the password used to lock the configuration.

taken from page 110 from forticlient 5.05 documentation.
    so if you choose to lock forticlient, it can't be shutdown without correct password.

11. 93036

93036 Registered Member

Thanks for the info! I'm liking FortiClient very much for customer installs. Avast used to be my favorite, but I get customers and family members to renew on a yearly basis. Avast 2014 has just come out, and if that issue still remains, then I'm hoping this will be my replacement A/V.

12. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I have tried both and despite my likings for Fortinet it got kicked out cause it slooowed down my PC. :(

13. ance

Wait until the fat updates are done, then you can use your computer again. :blink:

14. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

not for me it seemed fast at first and was okay for a while but the system got slower and during updates you could for sure tell it was doing something. this was not a old system either a current i7 with 8gb ram.

15. 93036

93036 Registered Member

Oddly enough, that seemed to happen to me also. So I removed it and installed Avast 2014, and all is well again. I like FortiClient, so I hope they push out an update that fixes whatever is causing it...

16. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

17. blasev

blasev Registered Member

its good, the web filter is very aggressive and I like it that way :D

18. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Good but quite slow in my experience.

19. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Yes it is that good. I have replaced my family computers infected with adware (toolbars, fart apps) and some malware and replaced them with Forticlient. Yeah there was a little performace decrease but ever since I don't get a phone call that something is not working or that there is 6 toolbars in firefox.

20. 93036

93036 Registered Member

I really want to install it on my clients computer instead of Avast; can you list the settings you chose?

TIA:thumb:

21. ance

I second that.

22. vm6485

vm6485 Registered Member

I installed but I had to take it out because it became buggy and slowed my system down in intervals. It started out good and it loaded fast compared to some others, which I really like. Here's some other things that I noticed:

- If you're downloading something and decide to shut it down or disable it, it will immediately terminate your download.
    - Shutting FortiClient down made my system act slow and buggy.
    - FortiClient SSLVPN Plugin in Firefox has to be on "Always Activate", I put it on "Never Activate" and my computers fan went crazy. :blink:

If they fix these problems, I'll reinstall it because I like the simplicity in it and the ability to update manually.

23. ance

Do you know any performance tweaks? Otherwise it could be a nice free alternative without the need to renew licences. :blink:

24. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Same here.

25. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! I also took Forti Client for a trial run and found out what others have reported...it slows down surfing and loading apps...after establishing itself at the kernel level. I appreciated it's simplicity...and recognize it's effectiveness. But I believe it's a spin off of Forti Clients product market which is the Small...Medium...and Enterprise Business market's. If they could minimize the bloat I might seriously consider using it as a main app in my protection scenario. Sincerely...Securon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.