AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Good idea! We'll look at including in a future release.

2. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Lifetime for 4.x. Rough estimate for 5.x would probably be at least 1 year away.

3. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I'm not a Sandboxie user, but you shouldn't have to exclude c:\sandbox from user-space. By default this folder is not included in user-space. I believe the correct place to add this folder is as exception folder on the Guarded Apps tab. Sandboxie users, please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That is correct, and be sure to change the default deny to read/write.

Pete

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

@Barb_C:

The User Space tab lists removable drives and network drives but says nothing about non-system hard drives. This can be confusing to new AppGuard users who may not realise that non-system hard drives are automatically part of user space without their drive letters having to be individually added to the User Space tab manually.

It might be clearer if the non-system hard drive category were explicitly listed in the User Space tab, along with the removable media and network drive categories which are listed. This would bring it into line with the section of the help file that deals with customizing user space protection where non-system internal or external hard drives is mentioned.

6. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Based on many of the recent entries on this thread, I've come to the same conclusion.

7. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I am experimenting with Sandboxie and AppGuard together, do these settings look ok?

Exception Folder under the Guarded Apps tab:

Added - c:\sandbox

Power Applications:

Added - SandboxieBITS.exe
    Added - SandboxieCrypto.exe
    Added - SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe
    Added - SandboxieRpcSs.exe
    Added - SandboxieWUAU.exe
    Added - SbieCtrl.exe
    Added - SbieIni.exe
    Added - SbieSvc.exe
    Added - Start.exe

Anything else I should add, so that Sandboxie can work properly with AppGuard?

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good exclusion:thumb: :thumb:

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

You don't have to add the SBIE stuff in Power Applications for it to work well.

dja2k

10. Tyrizian

Any suggestions?

11. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Is it not working for you? Did you set the folder to Read\Write instead of Default Deny?

dja2k

12. Tyrizian

Read\Write is what's set, I was just wondering if I should add anything else to AppGuard options.

13. Peter2150

As David said, you don't need any of the Power App options. I have nothing in Power Apps other then what Bluereidge put their.

Pete

14. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Pete-

Not even any other security apps like ERP?

15. Peter2150

Nope. Absolutely Nothing. Only thing that is there is that mrt.exe which Blueridge puts there and I leave it. And I am running in Lockdown Mode.

16. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

where is this setting?

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Open AG gui.

Click on Customise
    (bottom left)

Select Guarded Apps tab and click on Settings.

Click Add button, browse to C\sandbox, highlight it and click OK.

You will see it says deny. Click on 'deny' and change to read/write via drop down arrow then ok your way out.

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Thanks! :thumb:

19. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Same here.

@everyone: There are only two situations I can think of where Power Apps may be needed.

The first situation is if AppGuard is conflicting with another security application. In my experience, this hasn't been the case. I've tried AppGuard in combination with a number of other security applications at different times and never had a problem with any of them, without resorting to Power Apps.

The second situation is where a guarded application needs to execute a child process unguarded. This would require the child process to be listed as a Power App. An example of this could be where a browser needed to launch an antivirus component in real-time that had to run unguarded for it to work properly.

Power Apps needs to be used with care. Because it provides guarded applications with the potential to run a child process defined as a Power App unguarded, the child process, if exploited, could be potentially used as a backdoor into system space. This is why Power Apps should only be used with other security applications and then only when necessary.

20. Tyrizian

Is this the only step that is needed, for Sandboxie to work with AppGuard?

21. Peter2150

Yes indeed. It's the only modification I needed to make to 4.0

Pete

22. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Are there any tweaks needed for webroot to work with AG?

23. pegr

pegr Registered Member

It is the only step that is necessary for Sandboxie to work but you might also want to consider adding c:\sandbox to the User-Space tab and setting the Include flag to Yes.

Without this second step, a hybrid situation will exist where the folder will be neither strictly in system space, nor in user space from the perspective of the security model that AppGuard uses to enforce drive-by download protection. Both steps are necessary to move a folder from system space to user space.

As AppGuard automatically prevents all user space executables from running unless digitally signed by a trusted publisher, no matter how launched, not only does this provide additional protection, but it is more convenient than using the start/run feature within Sandboxie for the following reason.

If Sandboxie's start/run feature is used to control execution, executables have to be manually added to the start/run list as needed to open documents downloaded by the browser. This includes things like Windows Media Player, Adobe, Word, Excel, etc. These are all typical of applications that reside in system space, and which AppGuard would automatically allow to run guarded if launched from the browser. Any executables downloaded into the sandbox would automatically be subject to AppGuard's drive-by download protection, providing that the sandbox container folder resides in user space.

In summary, moving the sandbox container folder to user space not only activates AppGuard's drive-by download protection, but it also provides a more automated, and therefore convenient, way of handling start/run restrictions. Documents that get downloaded by the browser automatically get opened by system space applications, guarded and sandboxed; executables downloaded into the sandbox are prevented from running.

24. pegr

pegr Registered Member

There weren't when I last tried it.

25. Tyrizian

Thanks Pete, I appreciate it :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.