Is windows 8's privacy the same as 7's?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

If it is, I will finally use my 8 ! I don't want to be negatively affected by Snowden FUD. As long as 8's privacy and security is the same as 7, I will use my new 8 laptop.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

3. Gitmo East

Gitmo East Registered Member

Sorry to say IMO no.
    I'm far from been a windows guru, and I imagine they are folks here who are much better in the art of windows than I am but I had trouble trying to lock w8 down for the brief period I looked at it.
    I was plagued with re-occurring VPN/DNS leaks, similar to setting a w7 box up apart from I seemed unable to make any fixes stick, this was bad to the point I lost all confidence in trying to secure w8.
    I'm a Linux kinda guy, always have been an figure always will so dropping w8 like it was hot was no biggie just kinda disappointing is all.
    I also got the feeling that w8 was just never gonna be an OS I could trust, a feeling recent revelations only confirm again IMO.
    I expect this post to be shot down as adding to the FUD :p
    If it can be shown that w8 does in fact not leak,spy report and log ill gladly change my tune.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  4. Enigm

Enigm Registered Member

5. DesuMaiden

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  6. Gitmo East

Yeah it stinks unfortunately :'(
    Take a look at Linux Mint, it runs out the box... if you can use windows you can use Mint
    Its like windows but fitter, faster and harder to catch :)

7. DesuMaiden

Thanks for the advice.

8. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=349424&page=11

read bit lower down what I said.... then what few other wilders said

As they suggested windows 8 backdoors/nsa is just nonsense.

I think if there was some real valid proof and just just the german stuff, it would have been disected and all over the news and then MS would have patched it asap ;)

Also one wilder suggest what about all the windows 7 backdoors :eek:

If there is a concern or worry about Windows 8, just run it always under an VPN and above else apply common sense, or install virtual box>Windows 8 :)

9. DesuMaiden

There is lots of misinformation on the internet. Moral of the story. Don't trust everything you here on the Internet.

Thanks for the clarification.

10. Enigm

Enigm Registered Member

He didn't clarify a damn thing and the idea that M$ would admit to it
    and patch it is just laughable .
    They will do exactly what the US Government asks them to do, or they will loose the Government-contracts .

https://www.schneier.com/essay-198.html

Paper by Dan Shumow and Niels Ferguson of M$ :
    http://rump2007.cr.yp.to/15-shumow.pdf

Besides, just the fact that a fresh windows-installation logs you in to the admin-account speaks volumes ..

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Keep using WIN8 or WIN7 as in the internet there is no privacy. If you want privacy you need to go off-line. ;)

12. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey ComputersRock

My opinion is that windows 8 security is better than version 7. But regarding privacy on the net, then it is just a memory of a long gone era, regardless of versions. ( 7 or 8 )

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@fax
    +1 :thumb:.......

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You can turn things off in Win 8 (e.g. bing search, cloud sync) to have the same privacy as Win 7.

15. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

You either trust MS enough or you don't. After all, you need to have a level of trust on a system that you run on a day-to-day basis.

If you do, turn of those settings which you deem unfriendly and it is no more an issue than it is on any version of Windows. Even if we omit those additions that Win8 brought into the equation, there has always been CEIP for one. Forget settings, there's the SmartScreen, DNS cache. pagefile, hibernation file and dump files, etc to deal with if one is concerned.

On the other hand, if your level of distrust is higher and you believe that there are backdoor(s) in Win8, or that Microsoft's involvement with NSA is too much for your liking; your answer shouldn't be reverting to Win7 or any previous version - it should be moving away from Windows altogether.

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I guess you think snail mail is private as well, and that's just one example. The Internet may have less privacy by default, but you also have more control over it in the form of Tor, VPN, PGP, and all types of easily available encryption. Just tired of people generalizing without looking into the real details.

17. TheCatMan

Well I was just pointing out what I suggested on the other massive windows 8 thread and what other wilders on here suggested.

You take it for what it may or not be....

Exactly I did not clarify anything, just reposted what some other Wilders on here thought on the matter. I did not say Ms would admit anything, I suggested if their was concrete proof and evidence showing backdoors it would be the biggest news ever, and major uproar to the point ms would patch it.... note the wink on the end

We all know Ms love there windows updates and patches....

I trust only my self at this point ;)

18. TheCatMan

Off-line would require one to face normality and reality

:D

19. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

If your needs are basic, you could always give Linux a try :ninja:

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

True, but I doubt privacy would be any different on linux..... It might be nice to think that it would be, but I doubt it. :)

21. Gitmo East

Been as Linux is open source I feel it's a better starting point...

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think that guarantees anything either. Are you going to go thru all the kernel source and everything else personally to see if everything is cool? I doubt it.. Nobody else will either. It's safer to figure that there are no guarantees if you're concerned about privacy....

23. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Insofar as regarding browser privacy goes including what Google does, I agree it's no different with Linux, but with regards to the O/S being modified to phone home to the mothership goes, I'm less concerned about the level of Linux' intrusiveness than I am with Windows, although Ubuntu uses Dash, which at least can be disabled, to send non personally identifying info to their headquarters.

24. DesuMaiden

Ok I just searched up the previous thread on Windows 8's privacy issues, and I found some very interesting and useful information.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=340107

^^^^That was the answer I was looking for.

25. TheCatMan

People are always going to have different opinions on the matter, were still going to have to use or not use it, the alternative is to stay offline which is not an option imo.

Use your common sense, and trust no one and as much privacy and security as you can !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.