Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.xx Sammelthread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mops21, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

It monitors all apps/software in your computer so i dont think its necessary to add it manually.

2. itman

itman Registered Member

Should all the hidden files, file extensions, and OS files show options be set off in WIN 7 when using EAM paid?

I beleive these were set off when EAM installed? I am constantly reviewing files and I set these options back on when done with my reviewing activities?

3. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

It doesn't matter. EAM doesn't care for any of these settings and always scans all files anyways.

4. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Just a little heads up:

We just released version 8.0.0.12 via beta updates. By far the biggest change in the new beta are some significant performance improvements in all realtime protection modules. So if you had performance issues before, you may want to give the current beta release a go :).

If you don't own a copy of EAM and used your trial already, just let me know and I will get you a trial key to test with :).

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Never had any issues with ver. 8 realtime performance.

Now if there was a way to improve that Smartscan performance. Something along the lines of HitmanPro or MBAM or NIS 2013 Quick scans. None of these scan the entire Windows installation folder; only critical areas where malware is known to frequent. Also none of the competitors quick scans run more than 5 minutes on modern hardware.

6. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Smart Scan is not a Quick Scan. I would be quite surprised if the EAM Quick Scan would take more than 30 seconds on pretty much any system.

In general comparing various scan types across products is kind of pointless. You never know what exactly each scan type scans. So it is a bit hard to compare these scan types across products. If you want to compare performance the best way would be to scan a well defined set of files with comparable settings in each scanner.

7. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

After you folks released version 8 which improved the update process, I never notice that EAM is there. Noticeable slowdowns have been non-existent since the new release.

8. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Glad to hear that, Charyb. Unfortunately not everyone had the same great experience as you, which is why we spent some time helping looking into the performance issue some of our users had and fixed them :).

9. itman

itman Registered Member

The only possible performance issue I have observed is memory usage on EAM paid.

On my box, memory current stats; 383MB commited, 182MB working set, and 173MB private. That is by far the highest usage of any AV or anti-malware software I have ever used. Signifigantly higher than that notorious memory hog, MBAM Pro. Also the private memory size stays fairly constant which I assume is due to the Bitdefender realtime scanner.

Zip impact on my 8GB memory PC but above would definitely bring an old 1 or 2 GB memory PC to its knees.

10. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

If you are concerned about the RAM usage, enable memory optimization. That way RAM usage will be minimal, but EAM will have to access the disk during real-time scans, which will cause slow downs.

Most of the AVs today try to cheat to keep the memory they use from showing up in the Task Manager, because most users have an unhealthy obsession with those numbers. Rule of thumb: If your AV has 100+ MB of signature data, but lists significantly less in your Task Manager, it hides those signatures somewhere. Best case: They are kept in memory, but are stored in memory areas that don't show up in Task Manager (kernel memory). Worst case: They are swapped out to disk somewhere and scans will trigger disk accesses, that will severely hurt your performance.

In general I will never understand people who try to use as little of their 8 GB of RAM as possible. Why did they buy 8 GB if they don't want to use it? I have 16 GB and I want Windows and EAM to use as much of it as possible to speed up my normal workflow. Quite frankly I would be pissed if either of them would limit their memory usage someway, especially if by doing so they actually hurt my system's performance.

But that is just me :).

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well said Fabian :D!

My version of the same story..... ESET uses around 100MB of RAM and some users want ESET to "fix" it so ekrn.exe uses less RAM.

And then I explain why ESET uses the amount it does, everything is loaded into the RAM etc etc etc.... to increase the system performance....and so forth.

I have said it so many times i've lost count :D

12. itman

itman Registered Member

Took you up on this and indeed a drastic reduction in EAM memory usage. And to be honest, my browsing seems a tad faster.:rolleyes: One reason could be I have two WIN 7 swap files; the larger on a separate 6Gb/s fast HDD. However, I have seen no excessive drive usage. Plus I have a fast graphics card with 1 GB memory on that.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Exactly!
    Same as in phones.

14. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Just out of curiosity:

How does 95% less update traffic on average sound? :)

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sounds like the future :)

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I dont even notice the updates on my desktop but on my Laptop (Netbook specs) it would be very good. Although with the new faster updates it has improved a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT theres till a bit of lag when there are huge updates. :)
    So for me, it sounds good!

17. itman

itman Registered Member

I assume this refers to volume of updates and not frequency. The default setting of hourly updates is great.

This also would resolve an issue I have with the software which is that first huge download of signatures after a first of the day cold boot. Everthing in the world in WIN 7 dials out at that time; OS cert updates, etc. This results in a lot of network congestion; especially if your trying to open your browser at the same time.

It would also show a level of sophistication in the software versus the "brute force" approach.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The reason why my laptop has a hard time with EAM udpates is because i only turn it on 2 - 3 times a week so updates accumulate. :rolleyes:

19. iammike

iammike Registered Member

From tomorrow I will be away from my computer for 4-6 weeks. I wonder how long the update will take when I get back :doubt:

20. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

What? 2-3 times a week? And you call yourself a geek?:D

21. MultiVisions2013

MultiVisions2013 Registered Member

22. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Sounds good. Btw, will that include EEK?

23. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

The updater improvements? Yes of course. :)

24. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. That's really good news. :thumb:

25. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Not really sure but the biggest update i've ever done was like 80MB and that because i did not use the laptop for at least 2 weeks or something like that. :D

Oh come on man, my laptop is my "secure" PC. I have no software installed on it except for a browser and a couple security software. I use it for all my important tasks such as online shopping etc. Nothing else! :D
    All this Wilders Paranoia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.