How do you communicate with your friends without social media sites?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I use Black Berry BBM. I plan on using Skype.I heard it has good privacy compared to facebook. Are there any other ways of contacting real world people via the internet in a relatively private manner, free of the always present surveillance of Facebook? Imo, facebook is evil. It only serves ONE purpose. To let our evil, tyrannical government watch everything we do at all times. Must reduce the amount of time spent on it.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Just so you know Skype is owned by Microsoft.

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

4. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

Yeah I kind of laughed when OP said Skype. If you want secure online chat,

-Pidgin w/ OTR seems good.

-Jitsi has gotten quite a few people excited as well.

Cryptocat had it's issue in the beginning, but apparently improved in a later release...but then again, maybe not.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  5. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

GPG, RedPhone, TextSecure, CSIPSimple w/ OSTEL.me numbers. I also run a private XMPP server and only allow conversations using OTR (Gibberbot, Adium, Pidgin, Jitsi, IM+). But honestly, that is for the 1% that actually care about privacy...the other 99% are regular SMS and Voice...we just don't say anything interesting, LOL.

PD

6. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

There's WhatsApp, Viber and the likes. They are not social media sites but social communication apps. Thus, I'm not going to say anything on privacy. Up to anyone to decide what they are comfortable with. I'm listing them here as alternatives because they are not Facebook and I believe they have Blackberry support. Furthermore, with their wide use and popularity, there might be some in your circle of friends that uses them.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I find e-mail does the trick for me. Then there's the phone. ;)

8. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

Well...there's also this. And this. And finally, this.

9. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I hand write letters and put them in the mail. I use email, the land line phone and a stupid cell phone.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's an easy one. A direct telephone call or the car

11. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I use the old system of sicilian mafia: the "pizzinis".

"pizzino" it's how big Mafia boss Bernardo Provenzano called the small pieces of paper that he used to send (and receive) messages and instructions to/from his picciotti and other mafia bosses from his hiding place, before being captured in 2006.
    When the police searched the hideaway, lots of "pizzini" were found, indicating how he had been still ruling the Mafia all along from his hideout.

Just joking. I use emails and skype (rarely). BBM as well even if BB sucks, but that's another topic...:D

12. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I would just talk to them in person if I had any friends, but everyone is just a spy for the government, they are all out to get me.

13. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

iMessage (encrypted end-to-end) and soon iOS Facetime w/audio only option, which was announced recently.

This is what I use (and will use) for casual communication.

14. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

After PRISM leaked, I'm wondering whether reactions like the OP is a good thing or not. Meaning the usual uninformed, emotional paranoia.

16. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Please describe what you think about me is "uninformed, emotional paranoia? I don't trust facebook with any of my personal info.And as for using popular search engines, I use Tor to search for stuff on Yahoo.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Trusting one company over another simply due to uninformed bias without looking into the facts is what I mean. Your hatred of Facebook blinded your judgment in this case.

Why else did you trust Skype? How you use Tor and hate Facebook is irrelevant if you don't have the knowledge to obfuscate all traces to what's important.

18. Electro Gypsy

Electro Gypsy Registered Member

Face to face works just fine for me; I prefer to network socially than use so-called 'social' networks - If I'm gonna look at images of people and read correspondence, I might as well buy the latest issue of Playboy magazine instead

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.