IE10 64 bit online tracking protection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jo3blac1, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, I know they decided to merge.

The previous update occurred at 13 April, and after that day I never once started Internet Explorer, until yesterday when a new update came out. So, for 5 days Internet Explorer wasn't able to connect out either (no firewall permission).

Really? o_O I'd have noticed it trying to connect out, because as mentioned above, I don't allow IE to connect out.

What else would be involved the TPL update mechanism? I'm only thinking about a scheduled task, but I don't see any? Do you? :doubt: I also pretty much monitor things like PE, etc., and never once noticed anything involving IE, unless I manually started it.

2. m00nbl00d

I already mentioned something about this, but maybe I failed to be clear enough before.

The change will remain, provided that Fanboy's list gets no update. If the list gets updated, then the TTL goes back to 2.

To make it simple:

1. Change TTL value to 4, and it remains.
    2. An update happens, TTL back to 2.

It's when updates, that it goes back to 2.

Just for the sake of it, is anyone using this same TPL (-https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/ie/fanboy-ultimate-ie.tpl)? What value do you have for it in the registry key for TTL key? It would be interesting to know what others have as well.

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

That list has several expirations - in file, the last one is set for TTL of 2. So the bottom-most expiry is the one used and stored into the registry. ;)

4. m00nbl00d

I never noticed it! :argh: So, Fanboy just joins all TPLs, without actually placing just one Expires=X... Heck... o_O

5. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

An interesting find, good work guys. Who gets the credit for discovery though? It is their job to report it :p

Edit: Lag. If the "sub list" with the shortest expires always/reliably comes last...

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

EasyList Standard & EasyPrivacy continue to update automatically, as advertised :thumb:

7. m00nbl00d

I give full credit to whomever wants it... :D :p ;)

Anyway, Fanboy lists will soon see the end of the light, due to the merger with Easyprivacy, so there's no point bothering with it, I suppose.

8. siljaline

This is news - a good thing or a bad thing ?

9. m00nbl00d

For me, it's a bad thing. Fanboy used to provide country specific lists - not sure if maintained by interested people - but no longer provides them. So, I can no longer use that country specific list to block ads/trackers from my country. Easyprivacy seems not to have such a list for my country. Big bummer.

I'm blocking the ads/trackers I'm aware of with the hosts file for now.

10. siljaline

11. anon

anon Registered Member

12. siljaline

13. anon

anon Registered Member

Article ID: 2833084 - Last Review: April 9, 2013 - Revision: 1.0
    Applies to
    •Internet Explorer 10

-----------------------------------------------

I can confirm that the TPL is updated automatically again with IE10 on Windows 7 x64.
    -----------------------------------------------

Internet Explorer 10 works on Windows 7 & Windows 8

-------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------
    I can confirm that the TPL: "EasyList", "EasyPrivacy", "Fanboy Ultimate", "Malware Domains" are updated automatically again with IE10 on Windows 8 x32.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  14. siljaline

EasyList Standard & EasyPrivacy continue to update auto-majically :D

15. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i tried installing ghostery but it's not compatible with IE in 64 bits mode.

16. anniew

anniew Registered Member

So to summarize, after several pages of posts...is the above still the consensus best advice, even though TPL updates seem to be continued?

17. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It depends on what you perceive to be "best". Personally I'd say using a built in solution is better than any form of addon/plugin/3rd party software. But it may well be better at blocking ads than TPLs (which don't block 1st party ads)

18. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Built-in should always be better than the overhead/conflicts/security issues that can come with 3rd party solutions. However, for reasons that I have no way of explaining, the available TPLs just don't seem to be as thorough and effective, even leaving 1st party ads out of it. It sounds like overkill (well, okay, it is overkill) and nuts, but I've had better results using something like MVPS Hosts with IE 10. Now, if DisconnectMe was still available for IE, it would be pretty much a perfect solution when coupled with a HOST file or maybe even the TPLs depending on the ad servers you came across. But, since that isn't the case anymore, I'd say a HOST file with the DNT extension is about as good as you're going to get on IE 10.

Unfortunately, that solution leaves you pretty helpless when you come across ads and trackers they don't cover. But, since ABP has yet to come to IE, no matter what solution you use you'll find ad/tracker blocking in IE is largely out of your control.

Oh, by the way, the DNT extension does not block ads unless the tracker is the one serving up the ad.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some posts removed. Please report any threads that go off topic. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.