Bullguard 2013 is Out!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by darts, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyte

Nyte Registered Member

Hi all :)

I have a question about the possibility to exclude files by size. The normal setting for files (like *.exe) is set to 30 megabytes. I think this means, that all other files greater than 30 megabytes are not scanned by the program.

I wonder if this is careless because it will make my computer less secure. Their exist a lot of files greater than 30 megabytes.

Probably my thoughts are wrong, but I hope someone could help me.

I hope my english is understandable. Thanks. :)

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I think that setting is meant for real-time file scanning only.

Files larger than 30mb will be scanned when executed anyway, if I understand correctly.

3. Nyte

Nyte Registered Member

@Macstorm

This makes sense. For real-time scanning it is indeed unusual that an infection is larger than 30 megabytes. Thanks a lot for clarification.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

actually agree with these 100%

5. Macstorm

You're welcome :)

6. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Is Bullguard similar to Kingsoft? Or no?

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

In terms of the licenced Av engine or what?

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

No it's very different. Kingsoft has been designed to work alongside other antivirus software - something that distinguishes from Bitdefender and indeed most antivirus software.

9. Trooper

Thanks.

Sorry Hammer, should have been more specific. Was looking for what roger posted. Was also curious about detection between the two.

Cheers.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Just to add that afaik Kingsoft is a cloud based AV while Bullguard is not.
    Bullguard may contain Cloud Powered modules but not fully cloud based like Kingsoft.

11. Trooper

Thanks for the further information.

12. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

I'm not running IS and experience no slow downs whatsoever with their AV and the simplistic GUI is livable.

But I'm also 100% with point one.

I've been running BGAV on two Win7x64 systems since 13.0.251 and the only time I know the app's been upgraded (five so far) is when Online Armor pops up a dialogue for a BG component as it today for BGLsp.dll for the update from 13.0.255 to .256.

Eventually, maybe, if you open the GUI you'll see some minor text at the bottom alluding to a reboot while the STATUS icon is green and reporting "No actions needed." Bullguard seems to operate on the premise that everyone reboots their system daily. Incredibly, even with the "Show a notification for every update" enabled, nothing is revealed about an update or reboot. There's an "Enable Communications screen" that can be enabled (and described as "Enables the application to display a window with information about your BullGuard subscription, new viruses or viral outbreaks, BullGuard promotions or new versions") which has never communicated anything.

No significant notifications whatsoever, no changelogs, nothing on the forum, nothing on the Web site. In fact there is nowhere on the Web site where you can find what the latest version is - on the Tech Specs, Support or Blog pages.

There's a user on their forum who has in several threads ripped them a new one about their secrecy and lack of communication regarding versions and updates.

Otherwise I can't fault BGAV in any way; I'm also quite happy with it. Light, fast, superb protection, always connected and runs A-OK alongside MBAM-Pro, OA Premium and Zemana AL-Pro on my systems.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
  13. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Update system is definately where BG fails. Not only is the notification system rubbish, they are secretive about version/program data, which can be annoying.

Also, the forced update on reboot, where the product gets in a LOOOOONG update cycle every reboot is unacceptable. For example I have watched it update itself after the last reboot for 15 minutes.. 15 minutes? Of course after it updates, bullguard is pretty speedy and light, but they really need to fix this.

Also, I want much more control over updates, such as turning them off on boot, etc. Overall I feel BG2013 is a good product, but it needs improvements. Firewall has DPC issues to the point I had to disable it to avoid those. The adblocker is useless in it. Otherwise I am quite happy with it if they would just resolve the version stuff, and auto update on boot, and overall update inflexibility.

14. Macstorm

You sound like a change is coming ;)

15. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

@Bodhitree

You and I think alike on their notification philosophy. I hadn't seen it discussed anywhere outside of their forum and couldn't pass up on posting up about it in some detail.

Reflecting on your observation, after an update reboot I've noticed BullGuardScanner.exe running for 10-20 minutes with near-zero impact on resources. I assume it's doing a system rescan and can't find any fault in that.

Interesting your comments on the firewall considering its source. I've been running Online Armor for years so my purchase of the AV version was the logical way to go.

Well, that wraps it up for me. I don't want to be dragging this thread into the 1000+ post scope of that lovely BDAVF restore-from-quarantine discussion. :)

16. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I thought it noteworthy to mention that the last two Bullguard 2013 IS program patches have fixed most of the update-related problems I have previously bellyached about. :thumb: It still does NOT give any indication that an update is in progress, but it does update much faster after boot than it did, and it now updates every hour (as specified) like it is supposed to.

Overall, I am still pleased with this product. :)

17. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

I never gave this a shake...Probably should try it for once...its gotta be great :)

18. c2d

c2d Registered Member

I've never had those update problems.
    Is it related to OS?
    Cause on Windows 8 Bullguard (BIS2013) is working just fine in the last 4-5 months.

19. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

I know there is a list of some of the technologies licensed to Bullguard.
    Where can I find this list?

Thanks

20. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

HTTP/HTTPS scanner-Commtouch Enterprise;

SpamFilter-Commtouch Enterprise;

Firewall-Agnitum (Outpost);

Engine 1 Signatures-BitDefender;

Vulnerability-Scanner-Secunia;

Behavioral engine-Novashield.

21. guest

guest Guest

So Bullguard Behaviour Engine doesnt work Windows 8 and x64 systems?

22. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The above is from the NovaShield web-site which appears dead in the last 3 years.

The NovaShield Behavioural engine in BullGuard is fully compatible with Windows 8 64-bit; http://forum.bullguard.com/forum/15/NovaShield-behavioural-engine_95348.html

Further, BullGuard, unlike the parent company, NovaShield Inc., are continually developing this engine (and all the others).

23. guest

guest Guest

@Blackcat

Thanks for info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.