Access Denied????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Access Denied, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I created an image couple days ago and have reformatted my pc. Now when I plug the image up and go to browse, I cannot access the "documents and settings" folder. Can you please tell me a way around this? I have alot of info in there that saves me from configuration hell. I would have to change RAID controller cards to reload the image and that is a bit much when this should be an easy fix. TI 7 does not see this new RAID controller from bootable media either, just to let ya know. Its an Intel 82801ER RAID on ASUS P4P800. Any ideas? o_O

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Perhaps this might help?

3. Access Denied

No joy, but thanks all the same wdormann. This is really frustrating me. Surely someone @ Acronis knows how to reslove this and will see the thread soon. :(

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Eliot --

Actually, the solution provided by wdormann seems to be the only one possible. It happens due to Windows security settings and we can do nothing with it. As for not seeing the RAID from the bootable CD - I'll send you the newer build that should have a fix for that particular controller.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

5. Access Denied

Better late than never, thanks Anton for the updated build, it worked great.

6. zeeman

zeeman Guest

Hello,
    I also experienced the read only permission on personal folders and setting when accesing a backup. So i found this thread and thought my problems were over.

But they re not ......

Every time when i boot into safe mode and try to mount the image i get a quick glance of some sort of BOSD and my machine instantly reboots.

I also tried it on another machine and experienced the same.

-- Has anyone experienced the same ?

-- And is there a solution for this ?

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello zeeman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Could you please clarify what your problem is? Is the problem that you cannot mount the image or that you cannot access particular folder on the image?

As for BSOD, please do the following in order to enable mini-dumps.

- Open Computer properties either by right clicking on My Computer icon and choosing Properties or by opening System properties in Control Panel;
    - Go to Advanced tab;
    - Press Startup and Recover Settings button;
    - Choose Small memory dump in Write debugging information box;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons.

Then please reproduce the system crash and send the mini-dumps created to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. street_samurai

street_samurai Registered Member

Hello,

I am having the -exact- same problem as Eliot. I can access all portions of my backup using the Explore command -except- the one directory which I really need and that my own documents and settings folder. Here I get "Access Denied".

My laptop (which is the backup I'm trying to explore) was recently stolen so I have no way to restoring the image normally. I'd like to explore to the Document and Settings and retrieve my email and other stuff in those directories.

I've tried both MS Article 823306 and 307874 and neither solve the problem.

When I reboot in safe mode and attempt to mount the drive, I get a blue screen of death. No Minidump is created but the error is based on the "timntr.sys" file if that helps at all.

It is very important that I get this data recovered as soon as possible.

Do I have any other options here? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ss.

9. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

@street_samurai - do you have free disk space / a spare partition somewhere? If so, I would restore the image in the normal way (and not use the plug/explorer method). Once restored to a real hard disk, the methods for re-aquireting ownership of the files mentioned in the KB articles should work.

10. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I think MiniMax has the right idea. If you don't have a drive with sufficient room to restore the image, you might consider buying an external USB 2.0 or Firewire drive and restoring the image there.

11. street_samurai

street_samurai Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I have tons of disk space but no free partitions. Which is kind of annoying... I guess I could re-partition one of my disks and extract there. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wait until I get a new laptop (or purchase an external disk).

This seems to me to be a bit of a problem with TrueImage... isn't there a way around this problem? (I mean from the coding side not from the user side).

ss.

12. Jim P.

Jim P. Guest

Thanks all, the link to the NT Authority/System document worked for me. My symptoms we not able to browse to my old data folder on my plug in image. Running an Xcopy from the command line as system worked like a charm.

Jim

13. roshan

roshan Registered Member

I'm having the same problem, and cant restore to a drive due to a corrupt image error.

This solution seems logical, as when you view the security settings, the only person with full access is the username "SYSTEM". Can you elaborate on what command/parameters you used with xcopy and how you got it working?? I really need this urgently!

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.