ESS 6

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Martinus, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would try these.

2. dwtna

dwtna Registered Member

I have experienced the same issue. 1) Started the anti-theft activation, 2) Obtained new account, 3) Logged into the new account, 4) Refreshed the page as directed - nothing. Main menu in ESET now states "Finish Anti-Theft Configuration" but the link returns to the main "Welcome to ESET Anti-Theft" page found after logging in.

In addition, I am now receiving an "anti-theft audit warning message" but the "resolve issue" link returns me once again to the "Welcome to ESET Anti-Theft" page but nothing on that page is functional.

3. er34

er34 Guest

4. er34

er34 Guest

Although I do fancy ESET products and company, I can't forget to tell that this "review" is compete junk.

Very short one 2+1 pages, it starts that ESET commissioned it so that AV-Comparatives gets some money to write exactly what ESET marketing and directors want to read. If you read the "review" carefully, you'll notice that it is not in the typical AVC style of writing.

It is not a review - it is not complete - it does NOT point all ESET security program features, it has no screenshots, very bad written. With big font and lots of space on the page it just highlights and repeats what is already known and published on the ESET site. What it adds is some numbers (86% phishing, higher number for removal) so that it looks like (but only looks like) AVC really tested it against old set of samples and we see version 6 really got it better than previous version.

There testing organizations really piss me off. What a junk they published - so unprofessional. The article says nothing new and proves absolutely nothing - they just list some numbers. This is really bad quality marketing, badly written. It may sound bad and arrogant, but even I (I am not marketing person) can write such thing - better one, complete review and with some real facts.

I repeat that I like ESET but some of the marketing and some of AVC should get fired - this ruins the company image, doesn't improve it.

5. encus

encus Registered Member

ESS v6.0.115.0 is RC version and AFAIK if you want to upgrade from RC version to Final version, then you should uninstall the RC version first or to be short a clean install.

Good luck.

6. encus

encus Registered Member

I just downloaded the offline installer. I will try it and I hope there will be no problems at all.

7. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Yes you are right it should be there under tools, and that is what seems to be the problem, someone have stolen my Sysrescue icon :D :D
    (have done a clean install as i always do ,but without success)
    Windows 64 bit pro, Ess 6.0.306.3

Regards, Janus

Attached Files:

8. encus

encus Registered Member

You're not alone, Janus. I have the same problem too (running ESS 6.0.306.0 on Windows 8 Pro 32 bit).

9. TomFace

TomFace Registered Member

I missed all the fun yesterday, but had my fun this morning-this update to 6 was not without pain! Tried to update via GUI-no go, tried the online installer-no go, tried the offline installer-no go (a few times). Ran the uninstall tool in safe mode. Re-tried offline-no go. Then all of a sudden, SS6 pops up. So...uninstalled that and re-did a clean install. Only took just over 2 hours (sorry I'm just a regular person-not a Pro-I did not uninstall MBAM Pro-just partial disabled it-I did uninstall EAM)). The question I have is prior to it magically popping up, I started to prepare a regedit log, got as far as inputting the "ffff" in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\....etc (see how to generate an eror log http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN406) but then did not have to go any further. My question is does the "ffff" have to be undone or is it OK as it is?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  10. encus

encus Registered Member

Hi TomFace.

I'm not a Pro either; regarding the "ffff" thing, seriously I have no idea. But to reduce the problem during installation of the new v6, I suggest you uninstall the previous RC version (I'm guessing you used that), do RegEdit or use 3rd party software like CCleaner to delete the remnants, search for Eset files in the search box in Computer and delete them, then do a clean install (personally I'd prefer offline installation).

Good luck.

11. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello encus

Thanks encus, it's nice to know that others than me and lodore also have this puzzle ,of the disappearing Sysrescue function.:D MMMH such a long beta periode, and then this... can't help but find this to be a bit funny, sorry Eset.;)

Regards, Janus

12. TomFace

TomFace Registered Member

Thanks encus-like I say, I stumbled thru this one and hopefully it is REALLY installed (feeling a bit stupid & frustrated in the process)-was thinking about getting CCleaner, but initially decided against it-I may revisit that decision-hopefully someone knows about this "ffff" deal-I may just open a ticket on it with support.

P. S. I do have SysRescue under tools

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Everything seems to be running ok so far on two machines. One W7 x32 and the other x64.

Question: Is it ok to enable pre-release updates yet?

14. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Yes, feel free to enable pre-release updates.

15. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thank you sir. :)

16. ACCPresidentLB

ACCPresidentLB Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

Not a regular here, but had to pass on what I have discovered in the last 24hrs. trying to update from ESS 6.0.115 to 6.0.306. Keep in mind I tried these attempts with 2 notebooks running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit.

First off, I had no success at all dl-ing & installing using either the live installer or offline installer while running MalwareBytes Pro 1.70. Offline Installer would interrupt or not run at all once was dl-ed w/ Malwarebytes going. Advise here is temporarily uninstall w/ reboot after un-install (which is what I did). I was able to get a good copy of offline after taking this step.

Second, I wasn't able to upgrade via ESS 6.0.115 GUI at all. It would dl & start attempting to install, then after reboot, ESS would run, but in the install folder, program files would be gone, & it would be running v. 6.0.115. Advise here is to do a clean install after un-installing 6.0.115 & reboot.

I finally got it running on my machine (using the live installer), but I am going to do a format & fresh Windows Install. I will be upgrading ESS on my wife's notebook as well, which I suspect no problems once I temporarily un-install MalwareBytes & ESS 6.0.115. I'll be using the offline installer on that machine, so if I come across other important information I can share, I will repost.

Also, a couple people mentioned ESET SysRescue icon missing on their GUI once they had installed, however, I have not had this issue. I did notice that they both were running Windows 8 (maybe both being 64-bit). I'm wondering that if that could be their problem here?

Thanks for listening...
    ACCPresidentLB

17. er34

er34 Guest

Janus, I just installed EAV on Windows XP SP3 - my native language localization, and SysRescue is present in the newest 6.0.3xx version . I installed with the Live Installer. May be this on Windows 8 only or some languages ?

18. Janus

Janus Registered Member

All the cases were SysRescue is missing, in this thread, have the common denominator that the operating system is Windows 8 Pro, in my case 64 bit. So yes, I think this is related to the OS, as you also indicates in your reply. Other than this, I have had no problems whatsoever, regarding the softwares functionality. Thank you for answering my post er34, we will se if this will be solved.....

Regards, Janus :)

19. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Currently it's not possible to create a rescue CD on Windows 8. Even if you install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (WADK), the current version may crash. This is a known issue which will be addressed in the next service build of v6. In the mean time, please create rescue media on other operating systems.

20. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello

Thank you Marcos for the answer, for why the Sysrescue function is missing for Windows 8. Why, and this is meant in all due respect, took it so long to get this statement out in the forum? (I cannot imagine that this was not known before the final release). Nevermind, now you have at least given us a reason, and a hope that this is adressed in the next service build of v6. I can't not asked for anything more. ( regarding the rescue disk, then i don't need it, but others might have good use of it).

Regards, Janus

21. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

Version 6 is an unmitigated disaster area for Windows 8. Having had to remove ESS 5 from both computers as it would not run with W8 as previously well documented here and elsewhere, and ESet seemingly not bothered to do anything about it, I tried installing ESS6 yesterday.
    As per usual it installed fine and everything worked OK, but then I did a reboot (as ESS5 failed at that point), and sure enough all the old troubles reoccured (but NOT the flashing action centre icon).
    The notification area icon disappeared (so unable to access the GUI) as did several other programme icons. Those that were also on the desktop would not run at all.
    I was utterly unable to access the Control Panel, Task Manager and many other functions, and in the end my new PC became totally unuseable and it took me 90 minutes of faffing around before I could get it to do a hard reset, with all the subsequent work required from that point. A day wasted on this.
    I am so over ESet for appalling customer service with something that is not fit for purpose, and am finished with it forever. I have reinstalled KIS 2013 that came with the PC and this runs fine, what a pity that ESet has blotted its copybook with this, as it ran perfectly with W7.

22. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339863

Would those of you - Activating Anti-Theft
    - look at Setup/Computer and CONFIRM with Post in above Thread IF Anti-Theft "Enabled" has a Green or Red Dot next to it.

Red Cannot Be Good (as two of us have posted about) and the Thread Owner Reports having to Chk PERMANENTLY DISABLE (Drop-dn Arrow by Enabled) - Then Enable - in order to make things right - and THAT's CRAZY.

Not sure when the Moderators will tackle these type issues so the more Posts, the greater chance we'll get clarifications and/or Fixes.

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yeah luckily not everyone has had this bad luck with ESET as you seem to have. :)

Though when you tried ESET V6, was it the only security software that you had installed at the time?

24. Janus

Janus Registered Member

I hope this is what you seek.

Regards, Janus

Attached Files:

25. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

@SweX....I only have WSA running on both, the others are on demand, but that was stopped for the installation(Offline). Set up exactly same for W7 etc and everything running sweet, so only two differences are W8 and ESS5/6, so to me it is something to do with them. But as no interest from ESet since October and now this..I am off!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.