Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v1.70.0.1100 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hayc59, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

No problem here too with opening the tool links online from the GUI :thumb:

2. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

yeah, mbamservice is using 116mb here, no worries, i have 8gb RAM, mbam is worth it.

3. lws

lws Registered Member

I use Sandboxie as well and Palemoon is my default browser and iexplorer was forced in Sandboxie. I unforced iexplorer and set it as default and then I also had no problem opening the tools link online from the MBAM GUI. Afterwards went back to my original browser settings in Sandboxie.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hello kjdemuth,

That is precisely what was wrong... as soon as I unsandboxed IE, the MBAM tools opened no problemos and there were no "application busy" dialogs.
    FWIW, I use Chrome as default, and did not have to change that.

Then, just like lws said, afterwards I went back to my original SBIE configuration (forcing IE) and all is well.

Thanks, guys! :thumb:

5. lws

lws Registered Member

@ Page42...good to hear that it worked for you :thumb:

6. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Thanks hayc59...I like it! :thumb:

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Good to know about the sandboxie/MBAM issue. I didn't have time to play around with it.

8. AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup Security Expert

The issue should not be a Sandboxie issue. This behavior can potentially happen on any system that has IE disabled. Not using IE and disabling it are a little different and why this behavior was seen.

Unfortunately as already posted this current version has IE set as the default browser but it should be changed in a future version.

Yes it's not dynamic. We basically provide a news file on our site that is read by all versions. It has been brought up that we should take a look at making it more dynamic so hopefully in a future version.

Thanks

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Is this thing almost a full blown anti-malware program at this point (no av needed)?

10. manak

manak Registered Member

I updated to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v1.70.0.1100 and it requires a restart. Is it normal? I remember it doesn't require a restart for software update since v1.6

11. iammike

iammike Registered Member

Thanks for this explanation, but wouldn't it then be better (for the time being) to remove this news file ? As it maybe could confuse new users ?

12. guest

guest Guest

Hmm .. I updated from within the program to this new version and didn't have to restart on Win7.

13. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

i think the detection rate is higher than many avs..

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hello Ron,

Thanks for posting on this topic.
    As alluded to here, there is an issue with IE, SBIE and MBAM.

I will say that I found your response confusing on several levels. For instance, your statement, "The issue should not be a Sandboxie issue" means what exactly?

And the difference between "not using" and "disabling" IE... well, please elaborate? I do not have IE set as default. Are you classifing that as "not using" or "disabled"? Your statement, "Not using IE and disabling it are a little different and why this behavior was seen" leaves me scratching my head, Ron.

And have you by chance overlooked the "This application is busy" dialog I posted about? If IE is (take your pick) not in use or disabled, why the reference to it being busy? Or is the dialog referring to something else being busy?

Ultimately, I have time, and patience, and I am confident that this will all get sorted out... especially with you to assist and explain! MBAM is great and getting greater, so there are no complaints from this quarter... only attempts to make things right. :)

PS- I do believe this is SBIE-related, in that, as mentioned, as soon as I unsandboxed IE, the MBAM tools opened no problemos and there were no "application busy" dialogs.

15. AdvancedSetup

No because then everyone that is not already on 1.70 would then no longer see the message. As I said hopefully we'll be able to come up with some other type of alert there to address this in a future build.

16. AdvancedSetup

I don't use Sandboxie myself but I'm guessing that what happens is that it makes a call to the object but Sandboxie is wanting to ask it for permission but since it's not an actual URL or you physically clicking on IE that it wants to ask for permission but because it's a hidden call really - you then see this server busy message because in the underlying com language it is a server/client call.

As an example I use Nero CD writing software (nothing to do with security) a while back and I was using another product that called Nero to get some disk info but Nero wanted to verify because by default it wants to control the optical disk when it runs initially. This exact word for word dialog box will come up (except for the Title)

Basically it wants your attention but it's happening at an underlying program call so it is not interactive with the desktop to say yes its okay to run it.

17. AdvancedSetup

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary solution to a fully installed Anti-Virus application and is not an Anti-Virus product.

Please see the following link for an explanation from one of our forum Experts.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

19. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

The extra tools are appreciated but why separate downloads?
    Not bloating MBAM is preferred oc, maybe packaging the tools in a separate 'Malwarebytes Tools' program, offered as an additional program when downloading/installing MBAM is an idea?
    Maybe others actually prefer separate downloads though, just a thought. :)

20. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I for one hope they never include those tools. If I want them I know where to find them.

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Chameleon and Anti-Rootkit seem to me to be integral parts of a good anti-malware program, and for that reason, need to be and should be readily accessible from the UI.

MBAM tools.jpg

22. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

@page42

Chameleon technology gets Malwarebytes running when blocked by malicious programs.

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

@gerardwil
    Point taken. :thumb:

24. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

inside MBAM there is a folder called chameleon with chameleon.exe so is part of the antimalware but you need internet to update it for better trap malware

25. manak

manak Registered Member

Thank you for your reply.
    I using Win7 too. In my case I need to restart. strange....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.