Firefox 16.0

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by siljaline, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Not sure a rollback would be wise.

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

For some odd reason i couldnt get into the addons section.
    The firefox tab in left hand corner refused to open at all.Ive uninstalled for now and may install later in time.Im not sure what the problem was here.o_O

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I experienced the same last time I updated Firefox in W7. This time, going from 15.01 to 16.01,only one Firefox shows up in Programs.

Bo

4. niki

niki Registered Member

True that siljaline, but in the case of the ones that I mentioned, one can always change it back to the default by toggling the changes made. ;)

5. niki

niki Registered Member

Interesting Bo in that you had that happening with an older version. Could it be that with updating to a newer version, something doesn't get deleted in the process? What I found so strange was that I saw a v 15.0.1 key left behind in the registry after having updated to v 16.0. That's when I also noticed the 2 versions of Firefox in Programs and Features. That (obsolete?) registry key was gone after fixing the problem.

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Last time, after uninstalling Firefox, I allso deleted the folder in Programs (if it was there) and the folder in App Data>Local>Mozilla. I kept the folder in App Data>Roaming to retain my settings.

I think maybe something in the App Data>Local folder was messing things up. In XP, I have never experienced something like it.

Bo

7. niki

niki Registered Member

Thanks Bo. If same problem happens again in future, I'll take a look where you suggested as well.

8. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Although I have been a Firefox user since version 1.5 I think, currently in my opinion, they are getting too far ahead of themselves, and are trying to compete with Chrome and get their version numbers closer to Chrome. I know it sounds crazy, but look at the last 15 months or so of browser history. Mozilla has been on a frantic ride and as much as I like the idea of keeping up with security fixes, this frantic ride appears to me to go beyond security fixes and includes a competitive course of action that may cost them some of their user base.

Major version revisions like they are doing are insane, but it makes sense if they are wanting to get that version caught up to the same pace as Chrome but at the same time if they are not careful, and insist on this update circus, their software may end up broken by the time they reach version 22+. I am all for addressing real security issues certainly, but I draw the line at releasing major versions just to play catch up with the competition. My main concern would be to have a safe stable piece of code that pays attention to my user base.

If they have revoked the internal update, it would possibly reflect the fact that others have complained about the constant update frequency and problems that arise from doing this. So they may have changed it to external download to give users a choice, possibly.

I am still on version 11 and have recently tried v. 15.01, there were scrolling problems within 15.01 and flash issues. Version 11 has been stable and I am well aware of the security issues and the need to update the browser, but when the updates begin to introduce bugs along with the list of 'critical' fixes, and at the pace this is going on, I will stick with version 11 along with the No Script add on and some ad blocking of my own, which is good enough for me.

I am not a chrome fan, nor an Opera fan due to their often lack of proper memory management that Opera continues to ignore the complaints from their users with many stating memory usage 500MB + in some cases with just a few tabs open, etc. I guess my question for them all is simply, why not focus on secure stability and stop playing the numbers game?

Ok done venting LOL ;) Sometimes I suspect other things are going on behind the scenes, and it has little to do with security. Look at the constant exploits of java, flash, etc., that they simply cannot keep up with. It just gets a little old in my opinion and if folks employ safe browsing habits, constant updates fixing some obscure issue is not a reason to release a major version. I disable Windows updates on my machines due to the patch craze that often opens up other issues that I just do not have the desire to play "fix it" every day. I had a client tell me to turn those updates OFF on windows because they were driving their office crazy. Now they can actually use their new machine without the constant patch craze. They may not be totally secure as that is not possible, but they are at least productive.

Just my simple opinion. :)

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Good post :thumb:
    Im sticking with 13.0.1 as everything works.

10. siljaline

See: previously posted.

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

im successfully running version 16.0.1 now but one of the themes is faulty as the main tab does not work.:eek:
    Other than that it is running smooth as silk here.:cool:

12. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I updated to 16.0.1 fairly promptly, even though there's apparently nothing new except a number of security fixes of which I haven't yet looked at the details.

15.0.1, for whatever reason, crashed on me a number of times. I keep that "performance report" thing active, so hopefully the Mozilla people got something out of it useful enough to fix in the new one. That's really the only reason I made a point of not dawdling with this update.

13. siljaline

Fixed in Firefox 16.0 -
    MFSA2012-89MFSA2012-88Release Notes.

14. encus

encus Registered Member

15. tlu

tlu Guest

A very questionable statement. The reality is that regressions happen all the time regardless if there is fixed release date or not. Take, e.g., a "simple" add-on like Noscript: There are no fixed release dates, but there have been numerous regressions in its release history over the years. Now compare that with a very complex product like a browser: Even with hundreds or thousands of tests it's not always possible to catch all hidden bugs. That's life.

Thus, calling the rapid release process the culprit is, well, just an opinion which you are entitled to. It doesn't necessarily reflect reality.

16. siljaline

Total Recall - The Details Behind Firefox 16 Recall
    Article

17. encus

encus Registered Member

Thanks for your info!

18. siljaline

Most happy to share.

19. siljaline

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  20. moontan

moontan Registered Member

@ siljaline:

just got mine.

tnx m8!
    merci beaucoup! :)

21. siljaline

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

23. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Thanks for the Heads Up...:thumb:

24. siljaline

You're most welcome ;)

25. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.