How to Clean An Infected Computer

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Chiron, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

Hello, I've written an article about How to Clean An Infected Computer. I have intentionally made this approach different than any other I've ever found. This is because honestly I think it's best to first try the simplest approach before jumping to more difficult ones. Also, if you don't include the more difficult approaches then some types of infections cannot be cleaned. Thus my approach guides readers through the simplest steps, and sees if that works, before going on to more difficult steps. That's the approach I had meant to take. I leave it up to your judgement whether I was successful or not.

The intent is for most people to be able to follow the advice given in the first section in order to clean their computer. This first approach is a relatively simple scan and remove approach that, honestly, would likely be able to clean most infections. If this doesn't work then the article gently guides them through progressively more difficult or time consuming approaches.

Please let me know what you think of my approach. I really need your feedback because I really want this article to be as powerful, and yet usable, as possible. Thus I am looking for comments and criticisms which I can use to improve my approach.

I am aware that there are hundreds of different ways to approach the problem of cleaning an infected computer. What I've tried to do is make that approach as user friendly and simple as possible. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

2. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

So you're trying to tell me that nobody on Wilders has any opinions about how to best clean a computer.;)

Please let me know what you think of the article.

Thanks.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

First thing I do is boot into Hirens and do an Eset Online Scan ouside of Windows. Sort of gives things a head start for me.

Then run MBAM (using the rkill built in it if necessary). Then see how things look at that point.

Of course this is just a generalization, each machine can be different, sometimes the hard bit can be stopping the 200 apps that are running at startup :)

4. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

If the infected PC will not boot into Windows, I would boot an Antivirus Rescue CD and do a scan/clean. There are many Antivirus Rescue CD's such as:

1. Dr.Web LiveCD
    2. Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
    3. Avira Rescue System CD
    4. Bitdefender Rescue CD

If you can boot into Windows, I would do a scan/clean with one or more of the following (Most do not require installation.):

1. Dr.Web CureIt
    2. Emsisoft Emergency Kit
    3. Hitman Pro
    4. Malwarebytes AntiMalware (Requires installation)
    5. SuperAntiSpyware Portable

I have both a bootable DVD and bootable USB Flash Drive which have all of the above Antivirus Rescue CD's plus many Linux Distro's such as: Puppy Linux, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Parted Magic, Memtest86+, Partition Wizard, etc. The Linux Distro's are good for recovering files from a non-booting Windows PC's. The bootable DVD was made with Xboot and the bootable USB Flash Drive was made with YUMI.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  5. guest

guest Guest

if the pc is infected
    re-image it:thumb:

6. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

So what do you guys think of the approach I advised? Do you think it will work well for the majority of users who stumble upon the guide?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.