WOW huge memory difference with v6 and some questions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by zfactor, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

previously v5 was using around 89-100mb of ram for the main service and v6 is using less than 25mbo_O not that i'm complaining at all but wow why the huge drop in memory use?? i'm just hoping there isnt more disk io's due to the lower ram usage i dont mind the higher usage in order to prevent the disk usage a lot of av's have...

PLEASE DON'T bloat ess with v6 and add uneeded junk... i use eset for its simplicity and for the fact it doesn't have all the extra stuff imo is junk... stay true to nod and keep it simple.. i would rather a much simpler program and less junk and a better av and less system usage... just please don't stray from what eset is known for...

will there be a way to NOT use the anti theft feature to turn off the notification if we don't want it.. please note a lot of people will want a way to turn it off.

i have seen now v6 will start to scan all traffic downloaded included, will this cause a slowdown during downloads? personally i liked that fact it didn't scan fully till the file was downloaded then would remove it. i have no problem with the new way as long as it doesn't slow down web browsing and downloads. ess is one suite which for me at least doesn't cause slow downloading. where many of them do..

ill add maybe more thoughts as i think of them but these were some initial ones. thanks for the new beta and i actually like the new gui myself. i like the basic colors and the updated pop up colors. only tested for a few hours but have not had any issues yet.

2. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

I would guess/hope it can be disabled and removed from the interface same as parental settings.

3. zfactor

so far i have not seen an option to remove it. for me with v6 parental controls are already disabled by default

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yep I agree, It's good that it uses less RAM but not at the cost of higher I/O usage, though I don't think we will se that. But it would be good if ESET could explain why.

Again I agree to 100% that's why I use ESET :isay: :thumb:

Note I have not installed V6 yet so I can't share my experience but soon I will......

5. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

Was meaning v5 has option so hoping v6 would have option to disable then remove from UI.

6. zfactor

its not in the ui to start with on v6 is what i meant. you have to enable it it comes already disabled

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I just looked at the few screen shots they have available of V6, and it looks almost the same as V5. Maybe they are just trying to perfect V5 in V6. That's not really a bad ideal. I believe the best route would be to perfect V5, and release it as V6. I don't like companies that make drastic changes every year or reskin a product, and have releases like 2011, 2012, etc.. You never know if their going to destroy a good product by doing so or maybe they change the GUI a bit for marketing purposes. The only addition I would like to see is a true cloud AV. It could really help Eset with detection, and early discovery. It could provide a wealth of knowledge. Improvements needed are intelligent scans. Eset has a habit of commencing scans when i'm installing software. Scans should be intelligently put on hold when CPU usage reaches a certain level. Scans would be best conducted during idle time or low CPU usage. V5 cleaning engine needs vast improvements. Cleaning is below average from most test conducted. Detection is good, but I know Eset could do better in V6 if they just work on perfecting what they have. Hmm.. 25mbs of memory usage o_O If Eset was able to accomplish this without increasing I/O usage then that's very impressive! ESS is using over 100mbs on my laptop right now. I will be trying V6 beta soon.

8. zfactor

hmmm whats very odd is ess v6 has since jumped up to around 80mb of ram usage. i am not sure why it was so low before. it was installed for a couple hours and it was even doing a smart scan when i checked the ram usage.. and with both the gui and eset service it was just under 30mb, now its 74,xxx and 4,xxx for the gui.... cant really explain it. but i assure you it was that low earlier. now im wishing i took a screen shot..

i personally hope they dont change much at all except to fix the few things with v5 people have issues with. i like it now. better detection is always good dont get me wrong but imo not at the cost of bringing a system to its knees. and i have yet to have any of 24+ systems in my home and office get infected yet...

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

is anyone trying this beta out? Also, are all the components active? I have read other beta posts about other av's where some beta builds have some protections disabled until later releases.

10. zfactor

everything so far is active ans yes im running it

okay so what im seeing is on this system it average around 80mb while using the system. but i do see that when the system is idle usage will drop to around 30.. it does jump back up once i start using things like even firefox. the other things i see is cpu usage seems higher for me, than v5. this drop in memory seems to cause the cpu usage to jump when the memory first rises. seems to jump to around 45-60 on this system im testing it on which is a core2duo laptop with 4gb of ram 7200 rpm hard drive. the cpu usage spike does drop quickly but if i am running something cpu heavy i can notice the temporary jump for a moment. v5 is higher in ram usage on this system but i dont ever really see a cpu spike v5 for this system hardly uses any cpu at all..

these are maybe nit picky just wanting to let you know of what i see and things that are different than how v5 runs on this machine.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  11. encus

encus Registered Member

How do you see the amount of memory used?
    Thx.

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

thanks for the info

13. zfactor

the most basic way is simply to use task manager but its not the most detailed you can use process explorer or similar to see full memory used..

14. KC4

KC4 Registered Member

I did a clean install and my memory usage is up around 200 MB when idle. I have the memory to spare so it doesn't impact my system. I'd like to see it a little lower, but the program itself seems to be working fine (I hope).

Win 7 64

15. zfactor

hmm not sure why..ive tested this one 4 systems now and the highest i saw was just over a combined 85mb with both the ekrn and gui process..it normally sits around 76-78 and about 2-3 for each. it did take a bit of time right after install to settle down a bit though how long ago did you install it..

16. KC4

KC4 Registered Member

I installed last night. Computers been on about 8 hours today. I can live with the memory usage. I have yet to really fool with the program though. I'm going to have a closer look tonight.

17. dotxzer0

dotxzer0 Registered Member

Can eset anti theft not be installed and will it not use memory when disabled?

It's a joke to include this feature, when most users aren't even laptop users. Anyone got their desktop stolen from their home?

18. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

As a reminder, the purpose of releasing beta test versions is to test new features and functionality in the software to help make sure they are stable by helping to find bugs as well as collect feedback on things like usability. This is why those are prominently displayed in the user interface, turned on by default and so forth.

If you are not interested in testing the software than please stick with the production versions. Those are fully supported by ESET, and you can provide feedback and enhancement requests on them, too, just like the beta test versions.

I believe that if you look at notebook computer shipments over the last few years, you will find that they have been outstripping desktop shipments. This means that creating features were are relevant to those formfactors (as well as emerging ones) is important.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

19. encus

encus Registered Member

Thanks for your reply :D

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi zfactor!

Now i'm sorry but I took for granted that by the memory usage you meant the Virtual/private memory usage?

Because FYI the Mem usage can jump up/down between 90-20 MB of RAM.

BUT the Virtual/Private Memory usage should always stay within the 70-100 MB range from what I have seen. So that's what you should check, and I am pretty sure that when your mem usage showed 25MB, the real virtual/private mem usage showed the normal 70-80 MB as usual.

So it would be good that the next time when you see it drop to 20-30 MB if you could check the virtual mem usage and report back your findings?

21. encus

encus Registered Member

Did it show high memory usage when opening Firefox?

Thanks.

22. zfactor

ill check in a little bit to see

23. encus

encus Registered Member

24. zfactor

sorry all we had a kitchen flood yesterday didnt get time for anything

25. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I will have to keep on eye on my machine. Had it on since this past Thursday (no reboots). When I looked at the machine today, Eset was using 669 Megs of RAM! :eek:

Should have captured a ss. But if it happens again will post here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.