OpenDNS dnscrypt now available for Windows

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by kupo, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

You would need to capture at the router, or at a hub between your computer and the router (which works as a tap). Although consumer routers typically don't capture packets, some can be flashed with OpenWRT or other firmware that can do that. For the hub approach, your best bet is an old 10Mbps hub. Modern switches (sometimes called hubs) won't work. See -http://wiki.wireshark.org/HubReference for details.

2. learningcurve

learningcurve Registered Member

mirimir

Your advice greatly appreciated. Will read the link re: hubs.

Thanks to all at wilders for the effort to educate about security. Longtime reader.

Fyi, KIS now updates using dnscrypt - after new user profile and KIS reinstall. Prob was w/ my comp not KIS or dnscrypt.

3. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

Is anyone else noticing a slow down whist connected thru DNScrypt ?

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

DNSCrypt has nothing to do with your internet speed, you'll have to elaborate on what is "slowing down" for you, e.g. youtube videos, general downloads or DNS lookups themselves.

5. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

Lookups just seem generally slower, obviously cached items are the same,
    I always use a VPN so I figure the "benefit" of 'crypted DNS is negligible although I do follow the more the merrier approach when it comes to security/privacy so would like to utilize further encryption. I know DNScrypt shouldnt affect my speeds hence my post, I was wondering if it was possibly due to this still been in beta.
    Any advice appreciated

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

DNSCrypt will definitely increase lookup time due to the addition of encryption, so more data will need to be transmitted to make the DNS request. However, I can't imagine this being much more than a few KBs. Noticing a significant slowdown is somewhat worrying, maybe it's more to do with the fact it it's a proxy and is conflicting with something on your system?

7. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I started a post about DNS some of you may or may not of seen;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=317807

I really looked into OpenDNS and the company behind this, along with many other experts in the field, and everyone said the same thing;

With OpenDNS we don't know the motives here and it's a proprietary system in many ways that you don't know what's going on with behind your backs.

Certainly OpenDNS has a name and looks big and reputable, but in all honesty I'd keep away...

A lot of the DNS professionals I spoke with told me, Dnssec-trigger is a better safer way to go about this;

http://nlnetlabs.nl/projects/dnssec-trigger/

Dnssec-trigger is in a newer state of development, but it's better looking at the moment and more promising, this is really where people should put their support into this project!

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Being proprietary and/or trying to make money off of a product is not a bad thing.

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Thanks for that link! Sounds quite interesting. I'm going to take a more in-depth look at it.

:thumb:

10. tlu

tlu Guest

But the source code of DNSCrypt is available here, at least ...

Thanks, I will look into this.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you say more specifically what the concerns are? Do you have those same concerns for other alternate DNS services, such as Google DNS and Norton DNS?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  12. tlu

tlu Guest

Just in case that it hasn't been mentioned yet: dnscrypt-proxy should work not only with OpenDNS but also with other DNS providers according to this site:

Haven't tried that yet, though.

13. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Sweet finally a GUI :thumb:

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  14. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't know what concerns there are. I'm pretty sure at least part of this is open source... and just because someone sells something does not mean it's bad. Even if it were closed source I don't see a huge issue.

15. nuphorce

nuphorce Registered Member

When I have an OpenVPN connection (use AirVPN) in Windows XP, with a default installation of OpenVPN and Windows, will it be my ISP or the VPN provided resolving my DNS requests?

Is there any advantage to using DNSCrypt alongside a VPN? Would that hide anything additional from my ISP?

Are there any decent alternatives to OpenDNS servers that are more private? (in Eurpoean counties?)

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

New beta 0.0.5 is available. Release notes are not available yet in the client.

Update: 0.0.5 is supposed to reduce cpu usage and deal with the UAC prompt. I can confirm cpu usage is down, but I still need to reboot to check if the UAC prompt issue is fixed :)

Update 2: Windows 7 is still throwing a UAC prompt when DNScrypt loads during boot.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.