Collusion for Chrome extension

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by m00nbl00d, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I haven't tried it. I just found it seconds ago. I figured someone would like to know about it.

-https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ganlifbpkcplnldliibcbegplfmcfigp/details

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'll give Collusion another look when it's more refined and allows for white lists.

Okay, this Collusion isn't a port of the other Collusion and so may be worth looking at. It's by the disconnect guy.

Edit:
    My hasty assessment is that it's better than the Moz one that we discussed some weeks ago. I've uninstalled that one and don't know if it's been improved.

Edit:
    But I couldn't find the export as text option.
    And I couldn't "printscreen" the easy way. I'll try with a time delay.
    I pulled the stuff apart to reduce overlaps.
    It's less CPU-intensive than the Fx one, IMO.
    And removing the sidebar lets you spread things out better.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Thanks for sharing!

On a side note, there are actually two built-in features in Chromium/Chrome, that users may find useful to also help figure out third-party connections.

chrome://net-internals/#dns and chrome://net-internals/#events

Open them both, if you'd like, then open a website. For instance, try -https://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/what-exactly-do-you-get-with-windows-8-pro/4817

You should see communications (among others) to domains, in chrome://net-internals/#dns, like:

adlog.com.com IPV4 error: -105 (ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED)
    bs.serving-sys.com IPV4 error: -105 (ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED)

I'm blocking those, which is why it results in that error message.

-edit-

It seems that Collusion uses an internal/local database of known trackers, so it may be limited to what it knows. Not sure if it may use regular expressions? I still haven't tried, so no idea; I'm still experimenting with Nimi Cleanser. :D

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I never thought of that! But could it be ~/Default/Extensions/ganlifbpkcplnldliibcbegplfmcfigp/1.3.0_0/trackers.json ?

I will take a look at the Chrome internal pages as well. Previously, I just relied on about:cache.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

My guess is that the internal database is used for classifying by color-coding but doesn't limit the connections shown.

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

just tried it.

it now blocks trackers but not enough of them.

oh, it identifies a whole bunch of things but it is very generous about what it leaves unblocked.

it's a nice tool for information but for blocking it's better to use Ghostery or something similar.

7. Snowden

Snowden Registered Member

I'm still using Disconnect... Collusion sounds like a great idea but I think it's going to take a while to grow feature wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.