Toolwiz Time Freeze

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by sg09, Dec 1, 2011.

1. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Just released v. 1.4:

Code:
    Added option to start Time Freeze when system starts
    Info.

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Great! Does that mean we can virtualize every boot by this option?

3. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Looking at this new feature and in this context
    http://forums.toolwiz.com/topic/time-freeze-capabilities
    can we now expect some conflicts between TF and BHORM?...or am I wrong? :doubt:

4. Adric

Adric Registered Member

If I recall correctly, it doesn't matter if it is on or off. I think I tried both.

Al

5. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I've been using Toolwiz Time Freeze without incident. However, the latest iteration with "Added option to start Time Freeze when system starts" doesn't work on my Windows 7 64-bit machine :'( .

SourMilk out

6. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Ok. Found the problem. You must "x" the start with windows box and then restart windows WITHOUT going into shadow mode. Duh o_O . It works like it says. Great little piece of software :D .

SourMilk out

7. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

• By TTF'default installation, it is started "when Windows starts" right through HKCU Run startup entry.
    • If for some reason TTF doesn't start at login - and was checked the box "Start ... " before Windows exit - System will be in 'Normal Mode' until TTF is activated- without user to know that...
    • To avoid a bit of a mess to the user the check box "Start TimeFreze when Windows starts" should be changed to something like "Start Protection Mode/Frozen Mode when Windows starts". And when checked it should force TTF to start on reboot, since HKCU Run startup entry could be changed by user (e.g. to delay or remove this app. on Windows startup entries).
    • With Wondershare Time Freeze the virtualization process starts before login in work session; with TTF it starts after login in work session. Consequences in TTF: e.g. user can't set to start in 'Normal Mode' if it is in 'Frozen Mode' (like SourMilk experienced); user need to stop 'Frozen Mode' and to do the change in 'Normal Mode'.
    @ Adric, if TTF was not activate the culprit is not TTF probably. Would be a strange conflict.

To work backup images app. (Paragon, Reflect e.g.) when TTF is activated isn't a good idea at all - same with app. that changes MBR like BHORM in ichito question. Conflicting claims come out sooner or later.

8. Adric

Adric Registered Member

9. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I don't agree... Even having TTF installed it doesn't mean I have to "just install the HDM trial"; I don't have to install Paragon things because someone has problems to install in their System... It seems a solution, but it isn't at all...

It's too more easy instead to try yourself: uninstall TTF and install Paragon after, to test if it's TTF problem AND install Paragon with TTF not activated. With that you would have an info more comprehensive. Some persistence can help.

Let's move on and forward... Once I'm in a yes day...

Installed Paragon in Win XP, TTF not activated. Installation process was done without annoyances and is working like a charm.
    Like I said my previous post [#132], "would be a strange conflict" the opposite.

Soon Paragon will be uninstalled: 1- With their own uninstaller; 2- ZSoft Uninstaller'analized log; 3- Restore Registry to previous condition with ERUNT tool [ERDNT.EXE].

10. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

For virtualization on reboot I would prefer to use BHORM due to the way it is implemented. If they hardened it specifically for resistence to malware and allowed exceptions, I would use it on all my kids Pcs. Its simple and it works well.

11. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

12. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I was thinking about possible conflicts due to two reasons:
    - if TTF now has similar or the same engine as BHORM, it can make conflict with other apps that are changing MBR like roll-back...similar situation it could be for users who use whole encrypted system by using e.g TrueCrypt (my experience with BHORM I described here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=316395&highlight=BHORM)
    - TTF is builded in Toolwiz Care also as standalone module...users of TC who are using roll-back apps or TrueCrypt might be surprised when they receive "shot in the back".

13. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  14. ichito

ichito Registered Member

My words was based on old mentions on Toolwize forum in treads about Toolwiz Care, TF and BHORM...and they was only suppositions.
    FAQ which you quoted is very young...11 hours ago it was just not existed yet. I had no chance to read it...probably I wouldn't write my post.
    120212053023_1.jpg
    FAQ should be exist just after starting "software life"...especially for the apps like TTF or BHORM which can have important and destructive impact on the system.
    BTW...it's good news.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  15. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

16. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

This is not a new release. v2.0.3 has been around for a long time now, and unfortunately it cannot undo the rootkit infections that Shadow Defender can. So far only Shadow Defender seems to be resistant to TDSS trojans, and for a product that hasn't been updated for almost two years now this is testament to Tony's (Shadow Defender creator) coding ability. To this day no other light virtualization program has shown TDSS resistance.

And before any n00bies start babbling about the latest Shadow Defender v331, check your facts: Anyone who knows what's what won't use this latest version which was released by unknown people who silently took over Shadow Defender after Tony's disappearance. Tony has been gone without a trace for almost two years now, and in the meantime these unknowns have released v331 without a changelog. They silently keep selling the software whatout responding to anyone's e-mails, and without providing any form of support whatsoever. Not a good way to do business, especially so for a security-related application.

The only plus that Wondershare has over Shadow Defender is the fact that it can utilize RAM for the virtual system saving the protected disk from a lot of hits. If Toolwiz and Wondershare can display in future versions the rootkit resistance that Shadow Defender has, and if Toolwiz can also utilize RAM for the virtual system (like James said would be the case in a future version), only then these two products would be able to realistically claim that they are better than good-old, rootkit-resistant Shadow Defender. The same applies for Horizon DataSys, Returnil, Faronics, and any other players in the snapshot/LV fields. They must develop products which can undo infections by the sturdiest of rootkits. Until they do, Shadow Defender will remain THE ONE.

Also Wondershare would do well to fix their current interface so all buttons and functions can be visible regardless of DPI setting. If your eyes are not that strong and you have to set your system default font to Medium (125%), you won't be able to use the program because the lower part of the Time Freeze window won't be visible, making the ON-OFF slider at the bottom inaccesible. Going custom DPI and unticking XP style DPI scaling solves this, but in that case the desktop looks fuzzy and crap. This is lazy programming and Wondershare should have fixed this long ago - I wrote to them about it a year ago and got a pointless generic answer by someone who didn't have a clue of what I was talking about; probably a salesperson...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  17. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

Looks like it's been updated to 1.6...

rrrh1 (arch1)

18. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

I have looked at it and found on thing I didn't like, there is an option to turn off the tray icon but now there is a big splash screen at startup. Please fix it so that the splash is off when the tray icon is hidden. Some people get too curious when they see things.

Would like to keep hidden from the other users, like children.

rrrh1 (arch1)

19. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

That would be good rrrh1, there should always be an option to disable those annoying splash screens. I'm eagerly waiting for the option to use RAM for the virtual system.

20. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Sorry to ask this here but I tried to register on the Toolwiz Forums and still after 2 days didn't got any registration email.

What's happens with the system if I shut it down while in ''VIRTUAL MODE''? While keep or discard changes on the next boot ?

21. ichito

ichito Registered Member

From list of features
    From FAQ
    Hi Pliskin...what do you think about this thread on TTF forum
    http://forums.toolwiz.com/topic/automatic-start-timefreeze-protection-in-startup-computer

22. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

No MBR change, it just starts the protection when OS starts.

23. ichito

ichito Registered Member

OK thanks...I will be already polite...no more doubt about MBR :shifty:

24. Valder

Valder Registered Member

(I was recommended to Time Freeze as a no frills alternative to Returnil. Is it the best choice or are there better free ones?)
    The question is can I run it now - I have the latest version 1.6 - to not to start with Windows start? Even if I untick the box it will start.

25. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It seems not.
    For v. 1.60 you need to do in interface:

1- Click in 'Stop TimeFreeze'. Choose 'save all the changes' option.

2- Uncheck ''Start TimeFreze when Windows starts'. If you leave it checked, you are to allow it to start in Frozen Mode!

BTW, when you say "Even if I untick the box it will start" you are right! [because you are doing that in Frozen Mode; that action will not have any effect in real system...].

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.