BitDefender TrafficLight (BETA): Social Web Security, Re-invented

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I've been running the extension for Google Chrome along with Panda Cloud for the last week, and haven't noticed any slow downs at all :)

2. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i dont think anyone experienced slowdowns with the browser add-ons, its the full version which causes slowdowns

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

exactly.........

4. carat

carat Guest

The browser add-on is nice :thumb:

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I downloaded from the Chrome store and normally BTL runs fine and I don't notice it (normal surfing, search results). But when I go to a page with a lot of links in it my cpu gets buried for a little bit. I'd assume a higher cpu would be normal for a page with a lot of links. Is that what everyone else experiences?

6. Emetic

Emetic Registered Member

Well, TrafficLight has been all but wiping out my internet speed. I typically get about 6Mbs, but with TrafficLight on it reduces to less than 1Mb, sometimes as low as 0.3Mbs. So I have to turn it off, I have no choice.

I've been looking to see what I am doing wrong or if there is some conflict, but the only thing I could think of was that I tried to install Panda URL filter but couldn't get it to work, but realised that it was still on my system - I must have got confused installing/un-installing...

Anyway, it is gone now and still the problem persists with TrafficLight. I uninstalled it but that didn't go smoothly and I had to use the special uninstaller to get rid of it - took ages. Finally got it reinstalled and working again - same problem.

Oh well, I guess I will just keep it on if I go into unknown parts of the web. Most of the time my browsing is pretty much a known factor (though I know trusted pages can be compromised). Then again I use Linux when I NEED to be safe (buying stuff on line).

I'm using Opera as my main browser so I have to use the full installer - there is no add on as there is for firefox, so I have no option.

I really want to like this program. I will stick by it for now coz it's a great concept. If the speed problem persists when it comes out of Beta, it'll be time to say goodbye.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Have you installed the browser extension version, or the cross-browser version? The extensions don't have the full AV web filter, and thus probably are lighter on resources. I know that when I tried the cross-browser version, it blue-screened my machine due to other security apps in place. But the Chrome extension version of TL is not even noticeable from a performance standpoint.

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

The newest version now detects and alerts for trackers. Not sure if it blocks them, though. Does anyone know?

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I think they are merely notifications... no blocking.
    And I disabled them because I found them to be annoying.

10. Emetic

Emetic Registered Member

There is no browser extension for Opera as I am aware. I suppose I could install it for just firefox, but I tend to use Dragon as my second browser these days.

So, yeah, I've been using the full cross-browser version. That works in Opera. Just a little slowly :'(

It's such a performance hit, I would be happy if there was any kind of improvement. As it is, it is pretty much unusable.

11. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

The addon versions have stopped updating automatically on my system, tried uninstalling reinstalling thats when they only update...
    tried the installer but for some reason it didn't install for firefox...just removed it completely. :(

I really liked this addon... Any solution for my problems?

12. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I have the same problem.

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I was experiencing the same behavior, if I'm reading your post correctly.
    I was not seeing any changes in the date of last update, but I was seeing the program version number update. I asked BD about this behavior via their internal feedback feature, and to my surprise, received a reply.

Below is my submitted question and their response...

14. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

That is nice, and answers what i had in mind that it never took any time to show the updated date when i first installed the addon for chrome...

however lately (from when the updated date stopped showing the current date) i was also noticing that google search results started showing the amber question mark sign and some weren't even showing that.. i will try out the addon version again and see if this behavior persists.

thanks for the clarification Page42.

15. TheKid7

I see that there is a new version (0.1.25) out. I don't know any details of changes.

16. TheKid7

I see an obvious change "Tracker Notification" which is turned ON by Default.

Attached Files:

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

it didn't update automatically as set....had to 'check for updates'.......other add-ons updates themselves no prob........

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

trackers is in effect ghostery's web bug blocking.....but not as good.....when ghostery finds 8 and blocks them, tl notifies only 3......

19. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Is the Trafficlight browser add-on supposed to be compatible with Firefox 9.0.1.?

On one machine I have, it seems to be working fine in Firefox 9.0.1, on the machine I'm submitting this on, in the Add-ons Tab it states "Trafficlight is incompatible with Firefox 9.0.1."

Please advise?

EDIT: Just found a TrafficLight user guide on Bitdefender website and it indicates Firefox 3.0 and up should work. I then checked and realized that the browser where it is not working is in a sandbox that has not been emptied since before I installed TrafficLight. I expect it will be OK after I clean out the sandbox.

I'll report back after I delete the sandbox contents.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  20. TheKid7

I see that there is a new version (0.1.27) out.

21. TheKid7

I see that there is a new version (version '0.1.28').

22. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Anyone using the full version? Has it improved? Last time it used to crash often.

23. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Good question. Unfortunately, I cannot test it... When I last tried it - months ago - it made browsing really slower.

@ BitDefender TrafficLight team

In case you're seeing this, when are you folks going to support alternate search engines, such as Ixquick/Start Page, DuckDuckGo, etc?

24. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

@ Moonblood

I use Chromium with Bitdefender extension and tracking and search analyser both OFF. No slow downs with this Chrome extension (using Ghostery for tracking and AVG Threatlabs for reputation scoring).

25. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i tried the latest full version again, massive browsing slowdowns still persist. speedtest.net results halved..

really like the concept of the full version but the browsing speed hit needs fixing.

the add-on version causes no slowdowns but it only provides a quarter of the protection the full version does.

edit- use a 3rd party uninstaller to uninstall the full version as the built-in uninstaller leaves alot behind and causes errors which can be seen in error logs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.