MRG Flash Tests 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LODBROK, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Svetas gone. But based on what you are saying, I would say WSA passed.:thumb:

2. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Amen :thumb:

3. Sveta MRG

Sveta MRG Registered Member

If Fax is asking why WSA was not in the BBC test, the reason is that the testing we did for the BBC was conducted before WSA was released, hence the reason we tested Prevx 3.X.

If Fax is asking why Prevx was not in the final programme or wants to know if its absence was “tactical” – as he puts it, we are saying we don’t have the answer. If he wants to know, we suggest he asks the BBC or Webroot as its nothing to do with us!

As part of the process of making the programme, the BBC or MRG sent the simulator used to all the vendors who failed – this included Webroot / Prevx.
    Versions of WSA released after Webroot received the simulator are able to block it. Prevx 3.X however, still does not.

Regards,
    Sveta

4. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Anyone know if there still is a conflict between MRG and Comodo?
    In other words will Comodo be part of there tests in the future?

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, the question was indeed about WSA and not Prex. But as far as I understood this test was done a long time ago when WSA was not yet out. A pity...

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

This test was performed months ago. Sveta, you state that Prevx orginally failed and that someone would have to ask the BBC as to why they were not included.

What I am trying to figure out is, Kaspersky and F-Secure also failed this test orginally, then showed passing and made it into the report as passing. What was different or so special about those 2:doubt:

8. fax

fax Registered Member

It would also be useful to clarify if default setting will be (are) used (as it seems they are). Some security applications tested will fail by design since at install are set to auto learn the system (i.e. only blocking known malware) and only move to default protection after few day. Some more complete assessment (maximum settings) would be desirable to get a complete picture on the overall safety of the application tested. :)

9. Sveta MRG

Sveta MRG Registered Member

Hi trjam,

The BBC Click programme used our last online banking report as stimulus, that is to say, we had discussions with them concerning MitB attacks and our concerns that traditional suites tended not to offer much protection against these.

The BBC Click episode is NOT based on the actual results from the last Online Banking report.

In order that the BBC could film the testing and also so we could use the most recent versions of the applications at the time we had to run the testing again.

To ensure the testing was valid, the BBC engaged S21Sec to analyse the simulator and confirm it was a valid MitB piece of malware and also for them to oversee the testing we did.

S21Sec monitored and verified every step of testing and also had to verify the outcome of every individual test.

During the testing, both F-Secure and Kaspersky passed and this is why they are shown as passing in the TV programme.

During the testing, Prevx failed and was verified as having failed by S21Sec.

MRG Effitas has no idea why Prevx were not included in the final BBC programme.

Every vendor who failed during testing was shown in the final TV programme, apart from Prevx who for some reason were removed.

Their exclusion is nothing to do with us, (we just gave advice on how financial malware works and did the testing) hence why I say you need to ask Prevx or the BBC why they were cut out the test.

Regards,
    Sveta

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thanks Sveta

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I thought the new tests were due out at 19:00 UK time.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no offense Sveta, but your accuracy in time, well stinks. Remind me to buy you a Timex at Christmas.:eek:

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

14. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Hi Sveta,

On the "BBC Follow Up Test", I see that Emsisoft's EAM is being tested where most companies have their full security suite tested.
    Has Emsisoft specifically asked to test only EAM and not their 'Internet Security Pack' including Online Armor?
    Also, any update on the 'BBC Follow Up Test Update' regarding publishing of results?
    (Kudos btw for being the source of the BBC program testing results, you guys uncorked some champagne?)

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Oh sh... we forgot the simulator at the BBC offices... :D

16. guest

guest Guest

Sveta why don't you publish the results of the test on the website so we don't need to watch a video.
    Someone has a link to the video?

17. fax

fax Registered Member

18. guest

guest Guest

But that one is old, according to the latest post there should be a new one that was publish the 7th

19. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, but for the new test there will be no video.
    And they have disappeared since the announcement of the new test. Somehow easy to guess from the post/jokes above :)

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

like I said, Kaspersky and F-Secure supposedly failed and then are shown passing the test. Like maybe they were given the sample before the show was recorded.

21. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

i guess Avast! is not in the test because v7 is still beta?

22. Esse

Esse Registered Member

FYI

I just saw this at MRG homepage:

"Hi all, Sveta had to undergo an emergency operation on the 10th of February and is currently recuperating. We expect him back by the end of the month and will resume public testing then.

Best regards,

Chris Pickard"

We all wish you a speedy recovery Sveta.

/E

23. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Sveta - Hoping you are back in the saddle soon.

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Where are the results of the test or i have to watch the whole vid? :eek:

25. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Hope you'll get well soon Sveta.

A detailed report is going to be posted but probably that was slowed down because of Sveta's health. The results in the vid don't show all products and there are no details there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.