Anonymous Services - Can We Get A List Going And Feedback?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DasFox, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Oracle

The Oracle Registered Member

First mistake, don't assume or trust anything. If you do, then don't bother going a step forward with anything.

You absolutely can not trust ANY VPN to tell you they don't keep log files. I am finding this extremely hard to believe as a general statement at all. If they are leasing equipment elsewhere, which most of them are, I absolutely don't understand how the company they are leasing from is "not" keeping log files if they reside in a country that requires to have log files kept. Nobody seems to want to answer this question directly. How is Boleh, using servers in the US, that is "not" keeping logfiles?? I don't think it is possible at all, but I can't prove this either.

Because they have to follow EU laws, and from what little I know, Switzerland is one of the only ones that passed on accepting EU laws. If they have to live by EU internet laws, that means they are in bed with US government also. Just look at the HMA incident with Sony as proof. Not to mention, the log files were pulled long after HMA claims they keep their log files on record. Which means that one of the biggest VPN's in the world lied about it, so why would you trust any of them, especially a smaller company that is trying to make a name for themselves.

It's only legal for Switzerland residents. It doesn't matter where the servers are, it matters what law you are breaking in the country you reside in. Just because you are connecting to a Swiss server, doesn't make you exempt from the law. Also, server location means absolutely nothing in the big picture, it is where the corporate offices are located out of as to what laws they have to follow, and secondary, where their servers are located has to pertain to that country's laws (if they are owned), and if they are leased, then that additional third parties headquarters and server location come into play.

If you believe everything someone tells you, then you are setting yourself up for disaster. You personally have no clue whether the log files are being kept or not. Period.

It takes next to nothing for someone to find a reason to single "you" out now a days. You can piss someone off in a post on a forum, email, letter, conversation, dirty look, word of mouth, someone having a bad day, cut someone off, or misconception to be singled out. Don't underestimate this. If you are rely on "not" being singled out as your primary defense, then there is no point in exploring the security risks at all because you are self defeating yourself from the start.

2. marktor

marktor Registered Member

What if the person that runs the VPN is a personal friend and I know them very well? Should I still not trust them? On the issue of US servers you seem to be assuming that they are legal REQUIRED to log connections. I am unaware of any law that requires this.

I understand what you are saying here. I kind of agree but here is my point people use a VPN for a couple of reasons normally

1. They do not want their ISP or government monitoring there activities.

2. They do not want websites to know their real IP.

3. They want to use torrents,P2P etc without worry of legal repercussion.

4. They want to do HIGHLY Illegal things such as Hacking.

I believe that 1-3 is covered with a good VPN that says they keep no logs and have a history of protecting privacy. PRQ and Ipredator are examples of these. I believe BolehVPN is as well. (They used to run a torrent tracker.) As far as someone being involved in number 4 Im not sure you are safe on any VPN in the world. Nor should you be I dont believe. That is the case with with HMA and sony. The guy was hacking Sony servers using HMA. Further HMA says on their site they will cooperate with law enforcement so no big surprises here. Yes they kept logs to cooperate with law enforcement. I have yet to see anyone that has gotten in trouble using a VPN for downloading something via torrent etc. It is only extreme cases like hacking I have ever seen someones info being turned over. Further discussion on the HMA issue here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=308290&highlight=Hidemyass
    I also highly recommend that you read this thread on BolehVPNs forum. I think they are very frank and honest here on how they would protect users privacy. They even are asked about the HMA case you refer to. See here: http://www.bolehvpn.net/forum/index.php/topic,6499.msg36395.html#msg36395

Im talking about being singled out for monitoring by a government or authorities. Governments single out those that are plotting terrorist activities or hacking big companies etc. They are not worried about john who is downloading the latest Justin Bieber cd. Nor do they have the time or resources to invest in John. The RIAA are the main ones concerned with this and if they asked a VPN that indeed keeps no logs they would get a response that they keep no logs.

Also this thread has really got off topic. I hope it can get back on topic. This will be my last post that will be off topic. I hope that all other post will be on topic and be reviews of VPNS or new VPNS that people would like to suggest for testing. My apologies to DasFox for posting off topic *again*

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Wait, I know people using BolehVPN and I see that in the configurations they are all the same servers and this looks like everyone connects to the same server and gets the same IP...

I did not see that people are getting their own IP, this is what BolehVPN is saying, everyone doesn't share the same IP?

THANKS

Thanks redcell, but you're a little late to the party, these things have already been discussed many times... :)

marktor any ally of America is going to cooperate with them more easily, but America has many allies all over the world, so this might not be an easy task finding a good VPN outside the reach of America...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  4. bolehvpn

bolehvpn Registered Member

Everyone uses the same servers but for the fully routed servers everyone gets different external looking IPs.

For the other servers Streaming/Proxied, then yes we implement 'ip crowding' or however you want to call it :D It's just not economical to purchase IPv4s. Only reason we need it for fully routed is for the open ports along a restricted range.

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Hi,

So for this fully routed everyone is on their own IP?

Depending on how many servers you have, why doesn't everyone just share the same IP?

I know a lot of people like to share the same IP, being lost in the crowd, so to speak...

THANKS

6. bolehvpn

bolehvpn Registered Member

Everyone on Fully-Routed has their own IP but it changes the moment they disconnect and reconnect. For the duration of that session, they have their own IP.

I already explained why, majority of our users need the open port status which is only possible with a dedicated IP unless we do a cumbersome system of custom mapping ports to different users which in my own opinion EVEN WORSE in terms of privacy. This is a method that some VPN providers use.

My reply to marktor holds on 'ip crowding'. The protection afforded by IP crowding is pretty minimal sine we don't log. If we DID log, then even IP crowding is NOT a solution since I can just see who accessed what port at what time. Many infringement notices already specify a port number.

7. marktor

I said it once and I will say it again! Your customer service is exceptional. Your not even required to come here and answer these questions but here you are. I must say on the issue of "IP crowding" Im really trying to understand what difference it really makes. I stated that here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1993320&postcount=489
    Lets assume that everyone gets their own public IP like on BolehVPN. They keep no connection logs or logs of what IP a particular customer has been using. If someone comes to them and says "What IP was this particular customer using at this time." BolehVPN would respond "As no law requires us to log we have no idea since we do not keep any logs of what IP users use or the data that is being transmitted."

There you have it. How much more privacy do you need? If I have this wrong feel free to correct me Reuben.

I understand the idea behind IP crowding but with no logging I just don't see why it is so important.

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok a continuation of the Black List Report; (Do Not Use PPTP! - Stick To OpenVPN!)

BlackList Report - (Bad VPNs);

Anonymizer - (Logging)
    BlackVPN - (Lack of privacy, stores user info)
    Cocoon - (Not as secure as OpenVPN)
    Hidemyass - (Logging and promoting open proxies)
    Ipredator - (PPTP and no email communication)
    Kryptotel - (They don't know what they're doing - won't answer basic OpenVPN questions)
    Perfect Privacy - (No pre sales email customer communications)
    Relakks - (PPTP)
    SwissVPN - (Logging)
    VPNSwiss - (Logging)
    VyprVPN - (Company doesn't know what they're doing and bad support)

I would stay away from anything in Switzerland because of the EU Data Retention Laws, they are suppose to keep logs. The EU does have a data retention law that requires many of the EU countries to keep logs, so make sure you really investigate this before going with a EU VPN service, or any service offering exit servers in the EU as well, because where the servers are located they have to follow those laws, even if the VPN provider is in another country.

I can't investigate every VPN around the world, but I can certainly check out quite a few as I've done here, so if anyone has anything negative to say about any VPN that can prove they aren't good or to be trusted, then please, we need to know so I can investigate also and get them blacklisted if they deserve it.

Don't trust VPN review sites, none of them, they're a complete waste! There is nothing technical about any of them and I can guarantee you that 99.9% of all the reviewers barely have any technical experience. Put it this way, some of these so called review sites are ranking PPTP services as top services, which is total nonsense, PPTP is not as secure and safe as OpenVPN.

You need to find a good VPN then come here, let the geeks and techs pick their brains and we'll find them for you! ;)

THANKS

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  9. marktor

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I don't know all the ins and outs with this EU Data Retention Law, but Sweden doesn't have to log.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Swedish have proven to the world what fighting pirates they are, and Sweden is at the tops of my list for VPNs!

There are only two there I recommend at this point in time;

Anonine; (Owned by Portlane- http://www.portlane.com/en/services/anonymous_vpn)
    https://www.anonine.com/en

PRQ;
    http://prq.se/

I'm still debating over the VPN Tunnel;

https://www.vpntunnel.se/en/index.php

11. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I'm taking another look at OpenVPN's -https://www.privatetunnel.com/

They have servers in the USA, the UK and Switzerland. They charge by throughput, not time: 200MB free, 50GB for 12USD, 100GB for 20USD, and 500GB for 50USD.

Any feedback?

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well it's OpenVPN so we know from that standpoint it's going to be good.

If you live in the USA, I would not recommend using a USA based company for many reasons...

Their Terms of Service, like any big company is going to be shaky, not good...

Let's look at some of these;

https://www.privatetunnel.com/index.php/tos.html

4. You agree that we can verify your identity and possibly your mobile phone number by SMS verification.

Hmm looks like someone at OpenVPN forgot the P part in VPN= VirtualPRIVATENetwork! o_O

No VPN should be asking to identify you or a need for any phone identification! This is a really BIG THUMBS DOWN because no respecting VPN should be asking us for anything! :thumbd:

Here's the problem, all these companies that want to give you privacy on conditions, because of the all the terrorists and crime out there. Well I'm sorry OpenVPN learn to figure it out, without having to compromise our PRIVACY!

7. You agree that you will not run any resource intensive programs that will interfere in the usage of our services by our users. You agree that you will not hog the bandwidth of our servers. We reserve the right to limit bandwidth of your account if you transfer more than 2GB in one day.

Number 7 just shows real stupidity on the part of OpenVPN with this service of theirs, after all, how many people do you think around the world are going to be running the resources that hog up your bandwidth and bring your system down? Oh man that really deserves a BIG ---> LMAO! :D

12. You agree:
    E. You will not to use our services for receiving and the distribution of pirated copyright materials, such as, but not limited to Pirated DVDs, Pirated CDs, Pirated Software. This includes, but not limited to the following: The trading, selling, bartering, sharing, transmitting or receiving, of such materials.

Now they are throwing their take of piracy into this so I guess with P2P you better watch out! So then also, how are they going to know what you are doing on P2P, begs the big question if you respect the individuals privacy, or if you're even downloading off the web how are they going to know? Hmm makes you wonder, who's watching, what, where? :ninja:

So here's the big run down, all these big fancy companies and their BIG TOS Conditions, any company like this that has to write up a big list of all the big dos and don'ts just stay away!

It's all about protecting their big corporate butt and not yours. Many people will say, if I'm not doing anything what do I have to worry about? Well if you ask this question, then you're really missing the point of why you want a VPN in the first place, then looking at that TOS you should realize why you should be staying away! The bottom line is they say they respect your privacy but a TOS like that shows you they really don't!

It's called Propaganda with terms and conditions, LOL... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  13. geazer40

geazer40 Registered Member

just to add my bit stay away from black vpn even though they have servers in some good places something was weird on my pc when using there software

asked for a full refund and was given one by them

14. mirimir

:) Maybe so. It strikes me as a "time to cash in" move. I'd love to get the back story.

Wow! Those TOS are some sort of record, I think. Thanks for your reporting :)

15. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Weird on the PC, it would help if you could explain what this weird was?

Thanks also for heads up on BlackVPN, they also have the BS TOS!

Here's their TOS

1. Privacy
    We respect your right to privacy

Funny they respect your right to privacy then look what they say next;

2.For tax and legal reasons we must store the following information on our users:

--> Name
    --> Email address
    --> Billing address (because we must include 19% VAT in the price for customers within the EU)

Well I don't know about any of you, but respecting my privacy is not then turning around and telling me you need to store my name and billing address, there's nothing private about that! So telling us you respect our privacy is complete rubbish!

These VPN companies like this, just don't get it, we also want to be PRIVATE from YOU as well! o_O

3.We may block certain kinds of usage to protect other users, to comply with legal restrictions or to minimize the threat or legal action against us or our users.

Oh that's great, so they may block you... :thumbd:

I believe in respecting the law and doing the right thing, I just want a VPN for my own privacy and security and I certainly don't need a company holding my hand telling me how to act on the internet. And they certainly do not understand, as I stated before the P In VPN=PRIVATE and that means private from you too BlackVPN!

Forget BlackVPN and stay away, even if it's just for one thing, which is storing your name and billing address, that's more than enough to stay away! :thumbd:

mirimir, that's the typical Big Business TOS BS!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

It would be great if people that learned of services would just post them here, it is the point of this post to help keep all these types of services in one easy location to find, instead of hunting all over Wilders in different posts...

THANKS MrBrian

17. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

18. geazer40

geazer40 Registered Member

ye dasfox nps buddy lets see if they answer your questions that you sent them well done m8

19. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

I was thinking about buying a Perfect Privacy VPN service (they accept anonymous payments, they have servers in good locations, they allow chaining, they are p2p friendly) but now you've made me reconsider.

Are you saying there's no email communication at all?

20. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I sent like 2-3 emails asking a few questions, plus I even posted on their forum and I got nothing back...

Don't waste your time, they're to expensive and they're not doing anything that warrants the costs...

Go with one of these 3 for now;

BolehVPN
    PRQ
    Portlane - ( Has a few services; anonine, vptunnel, darknet )

21. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

22. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I see JAP and Safemail on that list.

Old school JAP info, has it changed? I don't know. I remember when it happened:

https://encrypted.google.com/#hl=en....,cf.osb&fp=9616a4a0f3c0cb68&biw=1048&bih=876

SafeMail is in Israel IIRC. Good? Bad? I chose not to use them.

Hey Das, You had some positive comments on Mullvad a while back, have they changed? I went with them based on some old posts, no regrets. Just curious why you don't recommend them any more.

PD

23. mirimir

The entire writeup is outdated.

24. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

That link was discussed before somewhere on Wilders, I actually thought it was also linked in this post too by someone, anyhow thanks...

Well it's just a couple of guys running this not a real high end vpn service, but it's been a while since I was talking about them and I see they've updated their site a bit, so that's looking a little better.

If you really want to use them send them an email and ask them this question, then post your reply back here for us to see, then I can tell you from what I've seen based on that!

1. For a Linux user that is going to use OpenVPN from the command line, what files do you offer?

25. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I'm already using them. I use their .deb package for Ubuntu. Just like Windows, the client shows up in the tray. Same options, like halt traffic on VPN drop. Never asked about commandline, but adminATmullvad.net gets a quick reply.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.