Issues with Facebook Most Recent?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by dr_stef, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr_stef

dr_stef Registered Member

Hi There, Is anyone else experiencing this who has facebook?

Since thismorning I am getting a strange blocked adress msg from nod32 every time I log into Facebook and click on the 'MOST RECENT' link at the top. It doesn't seem to happen anywhere else but on that link, and when I look at the recent activity or the quarantine windows, nothing shows up. It doesn't get written in the log either. Someone knows what's going on here? I am running nod on 3 different computers which have had no contact with eachother at all and are clean as a whistle.

I am using:
    NOD32 Antivirus Version 4.2.42.0 (64 bit version windows 7)
    Virus signature database: 6197 (20110610)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1118 (20110419)

Thanks

Dr_Stef

Attached Files:

2. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

fbcdn.net is Facebooks' Content Delivery Network, so it's a legitimate link. I've not experienced that message occurring though. Perhaps a FP, or something on the actual image being downloaded from the URL?

Jim

3. dr_stef

Well, facebook is not in my blocked sites list at all too, and I checked all pcs for infections, so far all clear, which is great :). It just only happens on that particular link which is indeed facebooks delivery thing.
    I have been trying to find out if someone might have posted an image with some hidden cr*p on it, but you would think facebook would check for these things. yeah right haha.

Anyway it's more of an annoyance than an actual problem, now every
    time I use FB this warning comes up.

Anyone else have a different idea? Or this exact same occurance?

Thanks

4. dr_stef

Update:

I just had someone else check their facebook account on
    my computer and they did not get the warning when they clicked on 'most recent'. So there is definatly something fishy going on.
    My profile and wall are all fine though..

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Code:
    ads.ak.facebook.com
    creative.ak.facebook.com
    creative.ak.fbcdn.net 
    Are in my HOSTS File to prevent the delivery of external text malvertising, I suspect this was the issue at play here and not a false-positive. Using a current version would help as well as implementing ad blocking software.

6. dr_stef

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have adblockers in place, funny they didn't block whatever this was. Facebook seems to have become much more of a breeding ground for this sort of thing these days.

It's gone now, so I think NOD was definatly doing it's job blocking the adress.
    Must have been one of those silly ads at the side.

7. siljaline

ESET has published a Facebook Security Guide, it may help you use Facebook with less security risks.

Let us know if there are any related Facebook issues that you may encounter, as they arise.

Thanks.

8. dr_stef

@siljaline: (Also, thanks for the guide that's a gr8 help)

I just updated to the latest version on NOD, and I got a better url description this time when it happened again. I did some googlesearches and found this:

http://forum.developers.facebook.net/viewtopic.php?id=19650

Could this be an old facebook bug what is causing it? Facebook putting in random image urls when it forgets older images?

The warning seems to happen very randomly now. It was gone for about a day, now it's back,
    when i refresh the browser window, it sometimes doesn't appear at all, and then sometimes it does.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  9. danieln

danieln Eset Staff

In the last message I see a third party blacklisted website which works on similar principle as clickjacking video sites. Most probably some of your friends run a script from the website. The link to the blacklisted website was posted and the NOD32 blocks all attempt to access the site, including the attempts to load a image from the site.
    The friend who is sharing the link should be notified.

10. siljaline

You're welcome & see the reply from danieln, most important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.