Beta V5 announces F-Secure at install

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Cosmo32, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

I now use ESET V5.0.65.0 (beta) A/V. It seems to be installed and working fine after 6 hours of my normal user interaction. Have completed two full system scans. Nada! Do notice that System Inspector is newer than the stand-alone I use also.

At install, V5 popped a window grumbling about seeing F-Secure on the machine. Odd. I can not find any link to F-Secure. Do I need to drive myself crazy trudging into the registry? I accepted this warning and continued to activation.

Some tweaks need to be done with the install script. I spent much time screwed on the final "Activation" window. It failed hard because the 'State/Province" block remained grayed out. I finally backed out and used the UName/PW window. Bingo! I am now a V5 (beta) test subject :D

Any suggestions on where 'mysterious old' F-Secure keys may live would be appreciated. I do hate sw that does not uninstall completely! I have noticed the increase in 'Removal Tools' also. Very sad........... :ouch:
    Thank you.

2. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Same here.Every time when I install ESET,ESET announces F-Secure install too although I already used the uninstaller tool of F-Secure to removed the leftover files completely from my system.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Check for the presence of the "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System\F-Secure Gatekeeper" registry key.

4. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Thanks.Deleted.Should be ok now.

5. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

Wouldn't it be great if the Eset Installer tells you which leftovers it found?!

6. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Marcos,
    Thank you. Yes, I did find (and delete) this registry key! I scanned for "F-Secure" and "fsgk.sys". All of the keys I found were very old (2000-2004); before I ever knew about ESET (2007). Believe I may start referring to the Registry as the "Graveyard!" :D
    Offending keys removed and all searches for "fsgk.sys" are clean. I trust that NOD32 V5 is happier now. Thank you again, Marcos. You did nail this glitch.

7. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Habkuck,
    Well, The very first installer window of the V5 Beta told me about "F-Secure."
    ESET acknowledged its' unhappiness, but, allowed me to complete my install.
    I did 2 complete scans and used the attached System Inspector (new version) also. Then, I raised my initial thread. 3 more hours of peeking/poking in my "graveyard" turned up very old links to F-Secure's 'gatekeeper' service.
    A bit cleaner now.

8. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

Yes but i think the installer should tell the user (maybe in an advanced tab) which leftovers it found.

Some notice like this:
    :D

9. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Habakuck,
    You are so correct! I totally agree. Sorry I missed your point earlier. I was so happy to see the initial warning window, I simply wrote down "F-Secure" (for post install investigation) and tried to continue the install. ESET was gracious and completed without further anomaly. Looking back now, I do see that my initial warning window was easily large enough to list any/all questionable graveyard keys. That would make this product more user friendly.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you are positive that you don't have the software in question installed any more you can simply run the installation msi file with the parameter IGNORE_CONFLICTS=1.

11. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Marcos,
    Thank you. But, I fear going around fences during install. I believe that I have V5-beta installed, activated, and opsnorml. I have made only one change since install - I pointed ESET to port 995 for email. I have not used the default port 110 for the past 5 years.
    And, yes, I am not even tempted to peek any further under the hood! I have never had trouble with default ESET (since BlackSpear's suggestions in V2 :thumb:).
    But, thank you anyway............... :D

12. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Although displaying detailed information about what objects were found from previously-installed anti-malware software on a computer during installation might be helpful to some users, it might also be unhelpful to others, as they may delete the wrong registry entry, file or otherwise take some action which prevents their computer from normal operation.

When a previously-installed anti-malware program is detected, one can perform several options, including searching for manual uninstall instructions or a dedicated removal tool on the old vendor's web site, bypassing the notification (as Marcos mentioned here) or contacting ESET support directly for further assistance.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.