Panda Cloud 1.4

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The Hammer, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I disagree. But first, I must admit I bought a two year license 9 months back thinking PCA would be the next big thing.

However.

PCA is slow realtime. Panda claiming it's a cloud antivirus is a lie because a cloud antivirus should do most of the work in the cloud, not the computer the end user sits on. For me it really felt like the computer's responsiveness was slowed a lot, even after 10 days of daily use. Not to mention the delays in the GUI when clicking things... Furthermore, the installation size compared to for instance, Prevx, is a joke. PCA installer is 33.1 MB big compared to less than 1 MB for Prevx.

The two most annoyting things with PCA are that when scanning a huge set of malware files, some detected files are not removed but left in the directory staying at 0-1 kb; they're also impossible to remove without booting into safe mode and remove them manually (ah yes, did I forgot to mention they're nowhere to be found in the 'history' of PCA scans and detections?). The normal uninstaller for PCA is a laughing matter really. It doesn't remove PCA from the control panel. Clean the registry how much you want or even run the Panda Uninstaller, it won't be removed by anything.

Just my two cent about what PCA should improve on.

2. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Yes,tested here and it works without problems.

100% agree.

3. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

Only one thing I'm not enjoying it, is to get that banner on the community?

Same here i paying for this product i dont want that things then !

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I agree totally. Prevx is truly cloud based and has zero effect on computer performance. The same is true for Immunet-free. The same is NOT true for PCAV.

However, I believe that PCAV is on the right track to eventually become more on a par with Prevx & Immunet-free, performance wise. Ergo, I shall continue to monitor this thread & trial every new PCAV version.

5. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

I've had no issues uninstalling PCA.

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

The normal un-installer has worked fine for me on every machine. Did you happen to have something protecting the registry?

7. DBone

DBone Registered Member

PCA is one of the few AV's that uninstalls itself completely.

8. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

It's normal uninstaller is indeed one of the industry bests, way better than those by Symantec, AVG, avast!, Kaspersky and so on.
    It will probably leave 2 empty folders, and two empty registry keys.

9. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I am afraid my experience is far different. The Panda icon is visible in the control panel on all machines I had PCA installed on, even after uninstall. I never touched the registry keys.

10. pbust

pbust AV Expert

@shadek, from everything you said above I believe your bad experiences are from a 1.1 version. PCAV is now on 1.4 and has improved quite a bit since then.

11. pbust

pbust AV Expert

The reason PCAV's installation size is much bigger is because it includes a bunch of technologies for protecting the PC during offline operation (cache of signatures, 2 behavioural engines, USB vaccination, heuristic engine, etc.).

As mentioned above, those were issues of an older version. Try PCAV 1.4 now.

Again, older issues.

You can't really compare them... Even though they are good products, both Prevx and Immunet are "companion" products. You can't rely on them alone to protect the typical user both online and offline and against all types of threats. With PCAV you can. It'd be interesting to see Prevx or Immunet pitted against a comprehensive AV-Test or AV-Comparatives test.

12. shadek

shadek Registered Member

That is all great! Last version used on my machines was 1.3. I'm glad the issues have been resolved. It clearly indicates the developers behind PCA are active and thoughtful! I am not tempted to try out PCA again though. Don't go off thinking I'm ignorant, it's just that the solution doesn't suit me personally anymore.

Also, it'd be interesting to see how PCA pitted against comprehensive AV-Test or AV-Comparatives tests. ;)

13. pbust

pbust AV Expert

In at least one of those two it has been already for some months, altough results are not publicly available ;)

14. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Oooh, I'm glad to hear that! This is getting more and more interesting. :D

15. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Indeed :D

16. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

On the subject of the Behavioral blocker how is it compared to Mamutu? If its not on the same league can Panda make it where I can not pay for Mamutu anymore and just stick with Panda?

17. pbust

pbust AV Expert

PCAV's Behaviour Blocker in detail:
    http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/2010/06/03/behavioral-blocking-rules/

It's completely transparent and automatic, no user-decisions needed.

18. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

So I assume its just as good and powerful?

19. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Well, I did some testing and it is really good.
    Everything was detected that I throw at it (0day).

I have a few questions :
    - Do I need to install browser toolbar in order to have URL protection ?
    - Is there a way to configure Panda Cloud to ask me for a decision before it deletes something ?

20. pbust

pbust AV Expert

You need to install the toolbar as the URL filter is included in the same toolbar installer. But you can later uninstall the toolbar only and the URL filter will remain installed (2 separate uninstallers).
    Not yet, but everything that gets deleted is accessible from the Recycle Bin (Quarantine) and can be recovered.

21. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Is URL filtering gonna be built in the antivirus anytime soon? Also will there be more features in PCA like HTTP scanning etc?

22. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

This is what I've been doing when installing PCAV. Are there any plans to include the URL Filter in the same PCAV installer in order to avoid the toolbar? I'm not complaining, I just think it'd help to save time.

23. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Yes, eventually, when the interception is in place.

24. pegr

pegr Registered Member

On my XP Pro system, the Computer Vaccination feature has never worked properly, right from the earliest betas through to and including PCAV 1.3. I have a paid subscription to the Pro version of PCAV but it is not currently installed, so I can't test this myself right now.

Computer Vaccination can be enabled from the PCAV GUI but in order to disable it again I have to use Panda USB Vaccine, which confirms that protection is still enabled after turning it off in the PCAV GUI. There must be a difference in the way this feature has been implemented between the two programs. It's annoying because I thought that PCAV was meant to be a complete replacement for Panda USB Vaccine.

Anybody know whether this has been fixed in PCAV 1.4?

25. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.