Avast 6 beta available!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by yaslaw, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tipo

tipo Registered Member

languy99 `s test:
    youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=OuBr1rfFJ-8

i wouldn`t rely on avast if i was banking, shopping and so on...

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

To be honest, I wouldn't rely on languy99's tests either.

3. tipo

tipo Registered Member

he is a memeber of comodo forum and he wants to show the world how great comodo is but this time avast (my favourite AV) messed up bigtime...hope all goes well `till the final version arrives!
    good luck avast!

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's the first beta for Christ sake... I've tested avast! like this when 5.1 was in beta but i haven't published anything because ppl start to make assumptions all too fast based on an early betas...

Why?

- Behavior Shield is still not fully operational and is by default set to "Allow" for now
    - Auto Sandbox is not fully operational and also doesn't really sandbox everything just yet when it should
    - SafeZone still not available

These 3 are major show stoppers in the part where all these wannabe testers are checking programs. So you can't make any conclusive results out of such tests...

5. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

I bet he didn't turn PUP's on. The first couple were like a game or something and a rogue. I haven't tested v.6 yet but with v.5 PUP's is off by default. If that was on Avast might of got them. Avast should enable that by default IMO.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I would say the mistake are from the people who watches the video and think it's bad. Viewers are AWARE that it's a beta.

That dude just wanted to try the software and show the results. :)
    I guess he was just enthusiastic because of all the new features!! :D

7. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

I agree, otherwise they should rely solely on heuristics and proactive detections which have never been a strong side of Avast unfortunately. I use Avast IS 5.1 but I'd never use it alone.

8. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

It would be better if Avast also provides an option to turn on PUPs detection for all shields and scans at a single place may be under general settings.

9. guest

guest Guest

I dind't see any of this written in the release notes, only SafeZone but because is not avaliable for the free version.

Known issues
    - Help files not updated yet
    - Localizations incomplete yet
    - SafeZone not yet accessible (Pro AV / IS only)
    - WebRep only available for IE and Firefox (Chrome is coming soon)
    - Firewall: per-application packet rules not yet accessible
    - Firewall: uTorrent conflict not yet resolved

Waiting for the next release anyway seen that half of the things supposedly doesn't work.

The BB is also in 5.1 right? and also is in allow right? if so, why an unfinished technology is in a stable version?

Another review of the BETA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGXpdX0MDro&feature=feedu

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's beta, you think officially released changelog is the only true stuff? Things DON'T work properly i can assure you about that. All that i've meantioned.
    The stuff in changelog is just a known confirmed stuff...

As for BB, it's there but not all rules are there and it's set to Allow by default. That doesn't mean it's unstable or anything. It's just not fully operational.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I haven't seen any comment about what the SafeZone is, and how it will work?

I ask since I guess it's a different feature compared to the Sandbox.

12. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Languy is a **** with zero pc knowledge, he is performing a System Restore and restores the pc to pre avast install. And then he is flabbergasted avast! is gone :D, "it can't protect itself properly".

But we can conclude one thing, avast! version 6 is far from final. In my eyes they released it far too early, they should of first finished avast! 5.1 (make the behavior shield function properly), and after that they can come out with another version 6 beta with sandboxing.

13. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

First question: I hope so too, unless they're going for Silverlight. :doubt:
    Second question: I think it only scans ActiveX scripts, which are IE only ;) Javascript and other web elements are scanned by the Web shield.

14. guest

guest Guest

it's not a changelog is "Known issues" if the developers haven't write half of the code of the autosandbox they should know that does not work, so it's a Known issues. The autosandbox is the main feature and change of the new version they must know if it's working or not.
    Anyway if you say that is not working I believe you, no problem.

Still why add bloatware to a stable version like 5.1, for beta testing purposes on a stable version I guess.

15. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm not sure if more in mentioned in other replies, but the other day I came across this thread. A member of avast team (pk) mentions a bit of what it is (comment #14).

-edit-

I must say that I really enjoy the root avast! team picked. If all goes well, avast! has all to be even greater. I also like the fact that, pretty much of what they implement to their products, is made in house. That shows the skills of the programmers, IMO.

16. guest

guest Guest

You sure? is not a system restore is a startup repair.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/startup-repair.
    There is a huge difference, so you can apply your own words to yourself

There is a big popup asking do you want to restore the system, and he clicks on cancel. Then the startup repair starts.

Just my opinion about Languy he is just trying to show the functionality of the products and how they work against real malware, all the people here thinking that the aim of the test is show how good a product is against malware is wrong, he does not have a ranking, he never says this product is better than this one... The problem is people like Kees1958, shadek or you, are thinking wrong about the aim of this tests, it's not a languy problem doing something wrong.

17. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

My observation:

Avast dev's have a habit of releasing a beta which only adds additonal logic (e.g. the behavioral module is put in without any rules) without activating or including the code which actually provides the extra functionality.

Reason for doing this is to check whether the 'new logic' interferes with the old functionality in all the different 'uncontrolled' PC environments of the people testing the new Beta.

New logic meaning the program logic itself and all call's/API's/handles of the new logic to the OS it is running on.
    Uncontrolled meaning Avast dev's having no idea what is runnng on a specific person's PC.

Compliments to Avast by taking so much consideration in quality assurance testing :thumb:

PS. I fully agree with Shadek :D

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Thanks for that thread:thumb:

19. guest

guest Guest

Good explanation but they are doing it also in final/stable versions, even adding it to the interface making the users think that there is something else protecting them.

It's like a new av Company releases and AV, firewall, banking mode, BB.... but only the AV is working and he is selling the product.
    If I buy Avast IS I dont want to see the BB just making nothing in the interface, just my opinion. The people does not have to read avast forums to see what is working and what not.

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So you haven't seen a feature that was implemented but it didn't work right.
    By the way you sound such scenario is impossible... It's possible and it's in this case. It's an early BETA. How many freakin times do i have to state this?

As for the BB i clearly see you just don't understand their philosophy. They don't just jump on a wagon for some feature like Comodo does, they've added BB in 5.1 so they gather data for later use in avast! 6.0. It's one thing to gather from 20 beta testers and another where you collect data from 100 million casual users... It's not bloat and it's not unstable. It's there by design and with exact purpose.

21. guest

guest Guest

I totally understand you, it's a beta and it's now working, ok, I already told you that in my last post, but if you want to repeat it again....

Comodo and everybody else, I have never seen a security company adding "fake" protection in a final product, this is why there are a betatesting periods and beta products (alphas, RC....) and avast can have thousands of betatesters not just 20.
    You have my answer here. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1820888&postcount=119

I totally understand this in a beta version but not in a final, until now I thought that the BB was working at least this is what the interface is telling.

But if this is how avast do the things to have a better products at the "end", ok, but do something in the interface so the user can understand that a technology is not working yet and is there for beta testing purposes.

Thats all, Avast is a great product and I have install it in all the computers of my family (except mine xD) and I always recommend it to people with basic skills with the pc, when they ask me

22. guest

guest Guest

Well I just wanted to express that I feel scammed :D :D because I thought that the BB was already working 100% in the stable version.

Yes I remember me in some "wars" in Comodo forums telling them how beta was his final product xD After the 2nd "war" :D seems that they started to listen the users :cool:

23. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You're more than welcome. :)

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

guest, not sure why you call BB "fake" security. It's in the making and they haven't made any claims because they've added it.

25. guest

guest Guest

With fake I mean that it's in the interface of a the final/stable versions looks like is 100% working but is not working at all. At least this is what I understood. I would call it a fake Behaviour Blocker.
    There should be quite clear in the interface that although the BB tab is there is still not working and it's not the case.
    Just my opinion since I have been thinking that the BB was 100% working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.