AVG LinkScanner 2011 free standalone is in the cloud.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LODBROK, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

As observed by a setting in the Tools Advanced Settings, the new LinkScanner has gained a cloud detection component from its parent AVG 2011 feature set.

Attached Files:

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

what browsers are supported by the free version? Any idea?

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

At AVG's site states it supports IE, Firefox, Opera and Chrome.

Ratings will only show in IE and Firefox. For every other browser only Surf-Shield is available, which is what truly matters.

But, it supports any browser. I guess they just mention those that are more used, I guess. Surf-Shield component is independent of any specific browser according to an AVG person, when I asked sometime ago.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

thanks for reply. Then it's good indeed. Good combo to add with Antivir or MSE.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Is this thing still presumably incompatible with avast! ?

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yes if you have the web shield on.

7. m00nbl00d

I can assure that I've installed version 9 (which according to AVG has same conflicts) along side avast! 5 with web shield on, and no conflicts, at all. Nothing.

I also have virtual machines where I test stuff first. No problems.

AVG also states there are conflicts with Microsoft Security Essentials. And, again, one other system with both MSE and Linkscanner, and this Linkscanner version is 2011 which I installed with MSE already installed. No problems. Everything's fine. Virtual Machine as well. All is great.

I don't know... I guess I'm just a lucky person.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So ratings for pages and search results will only show in IE and FF? Or does that apply to only pages? Do search result ratings show in Chrome or Opera?

thanks

9. m00nbl00d

Ratings will only appear in your search results with Bing, Yahoo and Google. I believe these are the only search engines it supports. I don't recall. The ratings will only show if you're using IE or Firefox. The ratings are provided by component Search-Shield.

For all browsers, including IE and Firefox, it will block exploits, etc., through the component Surf-Shield. This is the component that makes it protect any browser, because it doesn't care for the browser, at all.

In manners that everyone understands, it works below the browsers. (This may not be the exact terms. I can't find a better way to explain.) That's what makes Linkscanner, through Surf-Shield to protect regardless of the browser you use.
    But, you won't see any ratings with Chrome or Opera, for example. I'm not sure with browsers based on IE or Firefox, though. I guess it would show?

There used to be an exploit test by the former company that AVG bought to let you know that Linkscanner works, but I don't seem to find it right now.

Edit: OK. There's the official explanation by AVG. I hope you folks understand it better, if you haven't. It's also a way not to cause confusion, or even forget something or saying it differently.

Just adding this

Don't forget, Surf-Shield protects you regardless of the browser you use.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

can someone post a screenshot of the browser window with this installed, im curious as to what it adds visibly to the browser?

11. m00nbl00d

It won't add anything visibly, if you do a custom install and untick the option to install Yahoo toolbar

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

thanks for the detailed info

13. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

LinkScanner will tag search results as shown in the attachments; various levels of safe/danger and Verisign.
    Mouseover-ing the tags reveal details of the rating in a little dialogue that closes upon un-mouseover-ing. Hope that's not too technical. :p
    Exploits present popups which, as I recall, are dismissed by an OK button.
    If I run into one in the near future, I'll post up a shot.
    It is otherwise quite transparent if, as mentioned, one forgoes the yeeha toolbar.
    And yes, that's a WOT warning to the left of the LS one in the warez search (I have safe WOT tags disabled). WOT and LS work well together.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010
  14. firzen771

thats unfortunate, i was hoping they could have something like the old siteadvisor with JUST the colour warning icon in the bottom corner of the screen, or like WOT with just the colour icon

guess that makes it a skip for me, i hate toolbars, but wish i culd JUST get the colour indicator, wen will these guys learn and see what WOT is doin with their icon

15. m00nbl00d

You will get the color indicator, has show by LODBROK. You don't to install Yahoo Toolbar. Ditch it when installing, by doing a custom install.

But, as I've already mentioned, you'll only see the color indicators with IE and Firefox.

16. firzen771

i meant in the way WOT does it, or the way the old siteadvisor as in NOT just in search results, it will show the rating of the site ur currently on without having to have the annoying toolbar, i already know searches will show the icons

17. m00nbl00d

I hope I'm not misunderstanding you...

I've never used WOT or SiteAdvisor that much, except like 2 years ago for a very small test, but, it won't matter whether or not they show the current rating when you visit a website. This is what you're mentioning, isn't it?

I see it like this: The website, whether you visit it by clicking a link on a search or directly write in the address bar, it must be blocked access to if it's malicious. At least, if it contains active malicious content.

The rating within the current website you're on, the way I see it, it's just a way of reassuring the user that the website is safe. Otherwise, why rate something red and still allow entrance, but still displaying the red rating to let the users is a malicious website? Makes no sense.

I truly don't see the importance of it. I don't make use of Google, Yahoo or Bing or any of the other search engines. I never see the ratings, even when I'm on Internet Explorer. I don't care for them. Ratings, for Linkscanner, are just a way to make users be conscious that dangers do exist, even in the so-called safe websites. The important is that it must block access to such websites when it matters.

Anyway, resuming, and not just for you, also for everyone else who may haven't read this thread and visitors who may pass by:

You do not need to install the Yahoo toolbar to be protected, for ratings to show in your search results, whether you're using Internet Explorer or Firefox.
    You can opt not to install this toolbar, by doing a custom install of AVG Linkscanner and untick the box for the Yahoo toolbar.

Users of every other browser, don't worry, your back is covered as well due to Surf-Shield component of Linkscanner.

18. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Ah, I see what you mean - that's what is called an icon for the tool bar or status bar. (Complex technical terms italicized for clarity.)

The state of the WOT icon is based on worthless community ratings - I don't even use it. WOT = Web Of sTupid. WOT protection against black listed sites carrying malicious payloads is handled with a distinct warning much like any IP/Web filtering extension or application, with a popup or warning page.

Well that went off-thread.

This was about LinkScanner's new cloud detection feature.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
  19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

LOL, and do you feel relieved now (PRPR = post rage post relief :D )

20. m00nbl00d

Those of wishing to see a result of Linkscanner, just to know it's working fine, run this time, by Exploit Prevention Labs (now part of AVG):

http://www.explabs.com/test/

You need to have javascript enabled for the test to run.

21. m00nbl00d

I'm in the process of downloading the offline installer (Yesterday, only the web downloader was available.), and it's damn bloated.

A little more than 60 MB. Version 9 used to be around 30 MB. avast! Free AV installer is something like 52 MB. Heck...

22. m00nbl00d

Could anyone test AVG LinkScanner by verifying if it's able to spot this http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/checksite.aspx?NS=ChkOnly&SRC=apps.explabs.com&CS=scaner-hzl.co.cc

When I check it within LinkScanner 2011 user interface, it gives an error message saying that the URL analysis failed and couldn't read the specified URL.

This means that in case of an user entering or being redirected to that website, won't be protected.

Could check for that domain and report back? This may be a serious bug in LinkScanner 2011. It is strange that the online version detects and the LinkScanner 2011 fails completely.

23. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Is there anyone using this with Emsisoft AntiMalware? Just wondering if they get a long.

24. gery

gery Registered Member

with emsisoft you do not need linkscanner i think

25. m00nbl00d

How dows Emsisoft url scanner exactly work? I can't find much here http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

Only this

Not informative, at all. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.