Make yourself a bootable Grub 2 rescue CD

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Can't you just boot from your distro's livecd and perform any repairs from there?

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Sure, but that's cumbersome. This way you get the grub menu with all the kernels as you normally would, make your selection and you boot into the distro with the damaged grub. From there you can just reinstall grub from terminal.

Once you have burned the .iso to CD boot with it. At the grub prompt type configfile /grub.cfg

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Ocky, GRUB2 is still not standardized, so using a live CD may not necessarily work for all flavors of GRUB2. To be on the safe side, you may want to boot the live CD of your particular distro edition and perform maintenance using that.

That said, Herman is a very knowledgeable dude and his pages are very useful, informative and interesting. It's worth listening to his advice. But i believe that this is for Ubuntu only, and even then, per-edition.

For example, GRUB2 has changed from 1.97-beta4 to 1.98-ubuntu5 between karmic and lucid and device mapping file is gone from the grub directory. These small, subtle differences could be dangerous if you do not know fully what you're doing.

Mrk

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Mrk,worked really well for me with dual boot Karmic. I had a prob. once with Karmic and simply booted the grub rescue CD, then installed grub 2 from within the live system. All was perfect again. I posted in Ubuntu forums because the command for Karmic is not valid for Lucid. Tested this morning and Herman's new command for Lucid is fine.
    I don't have Windows, but realise that your cautionary re: device mapping is called for but surely there is no prob. for (X)Buntu's ?

6. Mrkvonic

Device mapping is required for booting from other disks, if you have more than one, so that grub can properly identify and associate hd0/1/2/3 to sda/b/c/d. Not strictly related to any particular os, more to make sure the bios order is indeed the grub order.
    Mrk

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

All I can say is try it out on one of your machines where Grub 2 is installed.
    If Grub version = 1.97 use: grub-mkrescue --overlay=/boot/grub Grub2CD.iso
    If Grub version = 1.98 use: grub-mkrescue --output=rescue.iso /boot/grub

With the rescue CD made using the second command I can successfully boot into either
    Lucid or Karmic despite different vesions of Grub 2 and Karmic is on another internal HDD.

8. Mrkvonic

I'll check and if it works, add to grub2 tutorial.
    Mrk

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

thanks Ocky for link great stuff .........indeed herman is very knowledgeable person :))

11. mack_guy911

Ocky please can you give a demo of restoring grub i mean grub 1 (menu.lst) i know little bit but grub 2 is still new thing for me

let me get what i understand

step 1 grub-mkrescue --output=rescue.iso /boot/grub

in ubuntu 10.04 it will make a grub config script and making it bootable cd iso

step 2 burn iso in image formate then boot from it and press c to get command mode

step 3 from command mode configfile /grub.cfg

now why herman (configfile (hd0,1)/boot/grub/grub.cfg)

now will it configure grub as the previous one or i need to reinstall the grub then use this to configure it

please it would be kind if you give a demo step by step considering newbie in mind its will help others as well :rolleyes:

12. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

For grub legacy (old grub) I would use a live cd. For grub 2 it's very easy:-
    (If Grub version = 1.97 use: grub-mkrescue --overlay=/boot/grub Grub2CD.iso
    If Grub version = 1.98 use: grub-mkrescue --output=rescue.iso /boot/grub)
    If you have 10.04 which uses grub 1.98 use the command for 1.98 as above.
    Burn the iso named rescue.iso to CD-RW.
    Boot from it.
    At the grub prompt simply type configfile /grub.cfg
    This will get you your Grub 2 Menu with all the kernels splash image modifications etc.
    Select the kernel and hit enter to boot into your 10.04 OS
    Then from within 10.04 you can repair your damaged Grub 2 : sudo grub-install /dev/sdX

You could also do this at the grub prompt instead of the above configfile way ..

grub> linux (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdX
    grub> initrd (hd0,1)/initrd.img
    grub> boot

... Replacing the (hd0,0) and sdX with the appicable disk/partition descriptions for your setup.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  13. mack_guy911

thanks Ocky thanks very much

this is exactly what i was looking for :thumb:

14. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Forgot to mention. After the grub-install command, remember to run either:-

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (or)
    sudo update-grub

in Terminal.

15. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I was wondering...will this iso that's created work on both 32 and 64 bit systems or is it specific to either?

This iso could be a hassle free solution should grub2 corruption ever occur. Thanks for this, Ocky.

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Trespasser, yes must work as long as we are talking Grub 2.

Regards.

Edit: Just remember when there has been a kernel update, make a new recue cd so that you can boot into the OS with the latest kernel.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Now mentioned in the Ubuntu forum's Grub Guide. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

You need to install package grub-rescue-pc and xorriso.
    Then:- grub-mkrescue --output=rescue.iso /boot/grub

Tried it no problems. At prompt type configfile /grub.cfg

18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

This am I found and used these very handy instructions to repair my Mint 10's Grub 2. The difference for me is my non-standard location of Grub 2 ( I was fooling around carelessly :D ), as I like it on the root partition (sdg6 for me), rather than the standard beginning of sdg. Instead of: #grub-install /dev/sdg I used #grub-install /dev/sdg6 --force (--force because of the warning it's not recommended to install it to a partition. I use dual-boot with Win7, and setup the Linux Grub 2 entry in EasyBCD so I can choose which O/S I want to boot from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.