torrent problems

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by monkey42, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkey42

monkey42 Registered Member

Whenever I try to download a torrent, my internet always disconnects and I have to go unplug my router for it to come back. I'm using the newest beta release and I'm sure this is an nod32 problem because this never happened with v3. Disabling http checking used to work for me, but now that makes me disconnect even faster when i'm downloading a torrent.

I have the same problem with uploading files but disabling http checking still fixes that.

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, a router that can be crashed like this has a faulty firmware for sure.

3. monkey42

Are you sure? No other computer in my house has either of these problems, and if I start ubuntu through a virtual machine I can download torrents fine. My router is a netgear wgt624v2 and it has the newest firmware.

There are also other threads on this same issue so i know i'm not the only one.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

why beta and not the latest stable release? is this a wireless connection? if Nod32 is not installed does the router crash? What are the errors in even viewer logs?

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Your operating system, default Browser and Torrent client are ?
    Have you checked with your ISP that they are not newly throttling Torrent downloads in your area ? Does your ISP package allow to exceed certain amounts of exceeded bandwith ?

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure and a quick Google search for wgt624v2 torrent problem pretty much confirms this.

Workarounds:

- Disable SPI on the router; failing that, just disable the firewall there altogether

and/or

- Lower the number of allowed connections in your BT client

Possible solution: Try a third-party firmware (OpenWRT, DD-WRT, Tomato) if you want to try your luck; note that I didn't check which one(s) or the above are working on this particular model, Google is your friend.

7. monkey42

You're right, I had jumped to conclusions because of the uploading problem.
    I uninstalled nod32 and my internet still died. That is weird because it doesn't disconnect on ubuntu and i've had this router for over 4 years and i've never had this problem

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Still awaiting previous queries in order to correctly help you.

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Home grade routers do not handle torrents/p2p traffic well, their meager CPU and low system RAM gets tanked by all the concurrent sessions. Simply put..they cannot handle the load. Even the higher end "home" routers with QoS 'n features like that still get overwhelmed. 3rd party firmware like DD or tomato can help a little bit...but that's about it.

Logic...if you have to reboot your router to get internet back, it's not related to your antivirus. ;)
    ISP throttling doesn't lock up your router either.

Gotta learn to turn down those p2p/torrent programs..limit the connections on them A TON.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.