IE8: Ad blocking with the InPrivate Filter

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Daveski17, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't use IE 8 a lot but as I was searching for an adblocker for it I discovered this. This is probably old news to most people but I experimented with the basic auto-blocking & it works quite well on some sites. I can't see it making me a regular utiliser of IE 8 but I was quite impressed with this feature. Perhaps I was too quick to write IE 8 off. Mind you, 10 or so minutes back on SRWare Iron & I've forgotten about IE again.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Most people are too quick to write off IE8, so you aren't alone, lol. I've yet to try using that filter as I have always used a HOST file for IE and general ad-blocking. I've found that, for me at least, it's the most thorough method of blocking ad servers completely.

3. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

4. Daveski17

That's probably the best way to do it. I was quite surprised how well it blocks ads on some sites (like IMBd) just with the auto-block enabled. There's a lot of reasons I don't like IE 8 though. I wasn't too keen on IE 7 either, it was a mixture of aesthetics & lack of speed mixed with a few other things that finally clinched it for me. I gave IE 8 a fortnight to impress me & although I thought it was an improvement over IE 7 it didn't really win me over. My auntie likes IE though. There again she can't understand why her Norton AV 're-installs' itself every Friday. :rolleyes:

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

One advanced user else found that:
    Just some feedback on this app.

6. Daveski17

Unfortunately, it crashes my IE8 whenever I try to open a tab group.

I thought that was just a design fault in IE! o_O

7. acuariano

with simple adblock you just run the exe,select your country,check filters[easylist],believes me works great,,specially yahoo website most ads blocked

8. siljaline

IE 8 is still My Browser of Choice but that's just me :ouch:
    Seriously though, if the proggy interferes with Tabbed Browsing, I would not recommend it.

9. siljaline

You might try the MVPS HOSTS file in lieu, just a suggestion.

10. Daveski17

I remember trying to open multiple tabs on IE 8 when it was freshly installed. So many people have told me that they have experienced crashes when trying to open multiple tabs that I thought it was a design fault. It could be just a lack of power or CPU speed as I'm using a laptop.

11. Mem

Mem Registered Member

Simple Adblock did crash IE8 on my Win 7 x64 Core 2 duo 4 MB system as well opening tab groups. It also made the back browser button work inconsistently-many times taking multiple clicks to go back one screen or then shooting backwards a number of screens. Once removed, all works fine and I can have a home page with more than two tabs opening without problems. It worked great on ads but the browser problems made me remove it.

12. Daveski17

SRWare Iron has had problems with the back-button in the past similar to what you describe. I wonder if the adblocker on that had anything to do with it?

When you say 'Simple Adblock' do you mean an extension you downloaded or just using the InPrivate Filter on IE 8?

13. acuariano

i'm using the latest version of simple adblock,and my IE8 never crashed
    mvps host don't work for me.
    --don't know if you guys use firefox with adblock extension,,selecting easylist filters.,
    well thi is IE8 with simple adblock,select your country,check filters [easylist],hit ok that's it
    clean IE8 trces,urls,cookies first,,

14. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

simple adbloc did not crash but it was slow. I did not feel it was compatible.. you know when your browser acts funny.. so its a no..no.. for me i just removed it..its just oera and IE8 for me ,,plain and simple..

15. Mem

Mem Registered Member

It was the Simple Adblock extension (Versions 0.8.1, 0.8.2 and 0.8.4) with IE8. When I uninstalled, I sent back feedback on the issues as I think it has potential in the future.

1. back button problem
    2. home page of 3 tabs of news sites, two tabs of forums and one empty tab that caused continuous restart of IE8. Had to use one news site tab and one empty tab for home page to get started when Simple Adblock extension installed.

I have had no problems with the adblock plus filters xml file imported into the InPrivate Filtering since removing the Simple Adblock extension (InPrivate filtering was not used at the same time as the Simple Adblock extension).

16. Daveski17

OK, thanks for the info.

17. siljaline

Did your laptop's OS arrive with IE 8 as the default Browser ?
    IE 8 has tabbed crash recovery, so, something you have installed is causing the tab crashes. You could run IE 8 on half a Gb of RAM without issues, as I did on an old Dell Inspiron laptop,
    You might try another fresh install.
    You may try resetting settings to default., Assuming Win XP SP3. Manual uninstall instructions for IE 8 here.

18. acuariano

yes is true,your IE8 may get corrupted also.
    get a copy at filrehippo.
    uninstall the one with tab problems,,and install a fresh copy

19. Daveski17

I have Vista HP it was shipped with IE 7, I have 1 Gb of RAM. It was IE 7 I was originally referring to & I had nothing downloaded to IE then. I haven't tried opening multiple tabs with IE 8. :eek:

20. Basic

Basic Registered Member

I have been using simple adblock for a couple of weeks now. IE8 has not crashed and I have not noticed any slow downs. OS is XP on a old dell laptop with 1.40 GHz and 248 megs of ram.

21. siljaline

And you are currently running IE 8, yes ? Tabbed Browsing FAQ's, InPrivate Browsing FAQ's, What is InPrivate Browsing. If you need a new download of IE 8, go here

22. siljaline

If you are able to disable the app temporarily, try my previous recommendation. Your option, if you have no issues with the app.

23. Basic

Basic Registered Member

Very well! Simple adblock is disabled. I will give this a shot for a while.

I used to use a host file all the time but then discovered Proxomitron and the power of it's filterset. Now however there is another person besides myself using this laptop who is pretty much computer illiterate. Proxomitrons filterset was giving her problems so I went searching for an alternative solution and found simple adblock.

Don't know why I did not think of a host file other than it had been years since last use. Thank you for reminding me.

Cool avatar by the way.

24. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Simple adblock works great

25. Daveski17

OK, cheers for the info. To be honest though I use IE very rarely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.