Google Chrome extensions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saraceno, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Some more.

Flash Block - must have :thumb:

flashblock.png

Clearlook scroll bar - glad I found this, makes your scroll bar in any window stand out.

Clearlook.png

Popcorn Ultimate theme - one of the most unusual but interesting themes I've seen. This deserves more attention for the small amount of downloads it has. A+ theme!

1.jpg

3. Saraceno

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Ultimate Chrome Flag-
    https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/dbpojpfdiliekbbiplijcphappgcgjfn

In address bar icon-
    Gives country flag of IP, WOT rating (for red rated sites it just has red WOT icon, does not block page)

Mouse over shows web address, IP and country

click the UCF icon and you get flag, country, IP and web address (hyperlink). Click the link and you are taken to domaintools whois info for the site. Geo location, Google page rank, alexa rank, Wot rating.

see pics

Attached Files:

5. Saraceno

Nice find acr, I like that one. Especially those who don't want to be blocked by WOT, they might find that useful.

I noticed with the weather extensions, once I cleared all private data, I had to keep entering my default location back in.

The following extension works even after clearing private data, and has the best layout I've seen. Moving thunder and all. ;)

AniWeather = top of the pack for me.

Aniweather.png

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

No you do not want to know, back on track of the OP's subject

Extentions I use
    Adsweep really is a fast and effective ad blocker https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/milkhonmecplandlkfbjplfbdenjlkmp

SiteAdvisor for Chrome (has a nice Icon only on the sites you visit: green check mark when OK, when unknown by SiteAdvisor it shows a question mark, when a known bad guy, you are (options) redirected to site info of Mcfee https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/dckheglehcdhpjkdmmmghbgkcdebhhae

Creating your own Lynx/crippled browser
    The safest browser of the web http://www.vordweb.co.uk/standards/download_lynx.htm

Some Wilders members take a browser which by design stores user add-ons in the admin space, runs with higher rights than its most bashed competitor (IE8 runs with LOW rights, FF runs MEDIUM rights) and remove most of its functionality (e.g. Noscript, FlasGot, WebBugs, etc) to mimic a Lynx bowser also called FatFireKitten (a slow starting cross over of FireFox and Lynx)

For those who do not trust the concept (policy sandboxing) of Chrome and want to create their own FastFireKitten, newest version offers Noscript, Webbugs, CookieMonster like (simplified) options. See picture

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. Kees1958

Ctrl Shift Delete, brings the clear history menu, faster than click & clean :D

8. Saraceno

True, it does. But that's not fool proof for mums and dads. ;) Click & clean cleans all when you close your browser. Also clears flash cookies as well.

Only uses 8mb of memory. Come on Kees, share the love, it's calling your name. Do it, install! :D

Candc.png

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

:p

Was just wondering if that reference was pertaining to the "Google" part? Anyways, Chromium is a breath of fresh air. I use SRWare " Iron" and all the google chrome extensions i have so far seem to work fine.

10. Kees1958

True, when you use Chrome and secundary browser: my favourite is Iron. When you use it as your primary browser, I prefer Chrome Portable. You just can parse the Chrome switches to the portable application (e.g. GoogleChromePortable.exe --safer-plugins or --incognito). Reason for this difference (primary versus secondary browser) is that Trusteer Rapport works with Chrome and Chrome portable).

Regards Kees

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ tobacco

It´s all way too basic, not suited to "power browsing", know what I mean. All in all very disappointing, you would expect more from a company like Google. :thumbd:

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

The good thing about Google extensions is that I can use them on SRWare Iron. Although I only use the WOT extension..

13. Kees1958

14. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Thanks for the tip about the Click & Clean extension.:thumb:
    It's a very convenient little extension.

15. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  16. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

What exactly is "power browsing"?

And if you're referring to Chromium browsers being faster, more user friendly, and more secure you're exactly right. Soooo disappointing.:rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic. I don't use extensions that much (I only have 2 installed and one of them is smooth scroll) but now that the Chromium browsers have so many extentions this kills the FF users one argument against it.

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

With all the extensions and themes, Chrome is slowly becoming Firefox the sequel. :p

18. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I disagree slightly. I've been using Chromium myself but Chrome's extensions are one level below Firefox's. Chrome's extensions API is just too limited compared to Firefox.

19. Less

Less Registered Member

i am running chrome with DW ....
    doesnt seem to get ClickClean to run...Nothing happens which i select "clear browsing date"

20. Less

Less Registered Member

able to auto clean without clicking "clear browsing data"?

21. Saraceno

I noticed that as well, DW won't allow Click&Clean to execute. So all your browsing history is kept.

I'd just click ctrl+shift+delete, or use incognito mode for your non-regular browsing.

22. Less

Less Registered Member

i see... when i browse with DW, there are 5 other untrusted applications running... running extensions like Mcafee , adblock, AdtThwart tec..

But i really like smoothest in Chrome...

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I searched but could not find an extension to add an "enable/disable" toggle button for javascript (JS).

In fact, I do no know of ANY way to disable JS in Chrome. Is there a way?

24. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I just learned this the other day from Kees. (I think this is what you're after.)

Go to Options > Under the Hood > Content Settings > Java Script.

This puts a little box in the far right of the address bar.
    Click it to change from block/allow.
    Hugger

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Maybe this doesn't work for Chrome+. Chrome+ DOES have Options > Under the Hood > Content Settings > Java Script. However, the Java Script menu only has 2 check boxes as follows:

1- "Allow all sites to use JS (recommended)"

2-"Do not allow any site to use JS"

At default settings, box #1 is checked. I checked box #2 and the little box did NOT appear in the address bar.

Maybe it only works for Google Chrome. :doubt:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.