Future Changes to ESS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Blackspear, Jan 22, 2008.

1. qetuol

qetuol Registered Member

whitelist - based scan:

scanned clean files added to a whitelist, so next scan ignore them (faster scans). file remains on whitelist unless it is not changed.

better proactive and on-demand detection:

i have seen many times on virustotal some malwares are not detected by eset but by other antivirus softwares. i suggest a co-operation with virustotal and other organizations. if there is a file not detected by eset but by others, chcek that file and add to the database.

sanbox feature:

safe launch of applications

pc-tuneup and security hole detection

turn off unnecessary applications, services and processes which slows down pc, find wrong security settings

cloud technology

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. encus

encus Registered Member

Banner Ad blocker, just like Kaspersky.

This feature is extremely important, because I'm so fed up with all those annoying banners & ads that will slow down the loading of websites. Not to mention the virus, trojan, adware, spyware that they used to bring.

Please, with all due respect, include this feature in the next update.:'(

More power to Eset.

Thank you.

3. plassenopdestoep

plassenopdestoep Registered Member

Download Firefox and the AdblockPlus addon and gone are the ad's and banners :)
    If you don't want to use Firefox you could also download a Hosts file like MVPS or HP Hosts.

4. encus

encus Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, but I'd really prefer ESET as an all in one package.

5. qetuol

qetuol Registered Member

ive just realized that HIPS (host based intrusion prevention) is missing from home version of ESS, only the business version contains it. Is it true? why?

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The functionality is identical in both programs. HIPS is just not marketed towards home users.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. tactful

tactful Registered Member

prpogram was purchased on the assumption it Was HIPS does this mean we have to look elsewhere for a user friendly home user HIPS program?mmm

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  8. qetuol

qetuol Registered Member

I think Mr. Goretsky have meant both Home and Business version has the same HIPS feature but for Home version it was not mentioned. It is still strange why not?

9. tactful

tactful Registered Member

our thoughts exactly.

10. agoretsky

Hello,

Companies advertise a product differently for specific markets. In this case, I would guess that the marketing department probably did some surveys and found that HIPS was not as heavily-requested a feature from home users.

I suppose you could call ESET's office at +1 (619) 876-5400 and ask to speak to someone in marketing or public relations to learn in exquisite detail how advertising campaigns are run for various the various products by market segment, if you have an hour or two to spare.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. aknuds1

aknuds1 Registered Member

Oplock-Based Filesystem Monitoring

I cannot use the filesystem monitoring feature of ESS on my Windows 7 x64 system, since it breaks too many things for me :thumbd: The two problems I have detected so far is that it stops the Vim text editor from deleting temporary files (which should be deleted right after their creation) and that it breaks the building of Python extensions (Python-Win32 to be specific).

When I posted about my Vim problem on the vim_dev group, Microsoft employee Craig Barkhouse was able to deduce that this was in fact caused by my AV software. He also indicated that ESET AV should use oplocks, in order to avoid disturbing other programs.

Now, I understand from ESET support that oplocks can lead to bad performance for certain programs. If so, perhaps the use of oplocks can be configurable? Also, how does other AV (Microsoft Security Essentials?) achieve unobtrusive filesystem monitoring?

12. eil

eil Registered Member

long waited for 2 features:
    - ability to add to exceptions file or folder from the context menu Windows.
    - ability to make a limit/to set a top speed in firewall for applications.

13. pegr

pegr Registered Member

An option to animate the tray icon to display traffic information.

14. ESS3

ESS3 Registered Member

1.Better anti-Stealth Eset Smart Security 5.
    2.Better SysInspector full, better SysInspector proactive detection, better Anti-Stealth, Self-defense the process SysInspector, better service script -ability to clean all.(http://www.ntinternals.org/dll_detection_test.php, or example, the new tdss tdl3 rootkit Olmarik, and SysInspector.)
    3.+Very effective Smart HIPS.
    4.Proactive detection active malware and rootkit in system -antivirus, SysInspector, HIPS.
    5.Better cleaning
    6.Better heuristics :thumb:
    7.Frequently updated-ThreatSense.Net
    8.ESET SysRescue tools for light work and effective clean your system.
    :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  15. acs16

acs16 Registered Member

"Addresses excluded from active protection(IDS)" - Not enough options to exclude ports.

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Registered Member

A firewall that works with Windows 7 would be nice.

17. agoretsky

Re: Future Changes to ESS 3.0

Hello,

If you upgrade to ESET Smart Security v4.0, you will be able to disable popups by following ESET Knowledgebase article #2148, "How do I disable the pop-up notifications about virus signature updates, scheduled scan activity, etc.? (4.0)."

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

18. agoretsky

Hello,

If you download ESET Smart Security v4.0.474.0 you should obtain the latest firewall module, which works with Microsoft Windows 7. If you continue to have issues, you may wish to do a clean install of the software and then run the firewall in Interactive Mode in order to build a ruleset for your environment.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

19. mywilder

mywilder Registered Member

#252 Banner Ad blocker, just like Kaspersky.
    I would like it too.
    * Seem to always think about light size. Did you think How much mb will banner-blocker and its database increase size and slow down performance of ESS?
    And most users use firefox, ie (not pro), chrome, opera, safari etc. but they have only pop-up blocker but not built-in banner blocker. Many of them don't use add-on and prefer simple browsers without having to do installing add-on on every computer they use.

20. ESS3

ESS3 Registered Member

+
    http://www.ntinternals.org/process_detection_test.php
    :blink:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  21. dorgane

dorgane Guest

is futur with communauty ( http://www.mywot.com for example but based on program's hash).
    when you see, antivirus update 2-3 hours and a virus can infect thousands of machines in minutes

Only virus signatures are not at all sufficient

22. dorgane

dorgane Guest

Idea :
    1/
    one option : "The automatic randomly process"

i see video with eset and rogue, the rogue kill process ekrn.exe
    i think, if ekrn.exe change process's name at all booting system.
    Nobody rogue can kill process.

ess-12385.exe, av-58462.exe, 12548-eset.exe, nod-985524.exe, 445854-eav.exe ...

2/
    OR the user can rename ekrn.exe and start it.

theroguecantbeblockit.exe :D

what are you think ? :doubt:

23. darts

darts Registered Member

That the Firewall from Eset comes better out off all tests because it doesn't do that at this time at several sites.

24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Include the virus definitions when creating a sysrescue disc/usb key. If I create a sysrescue usb key and do a full scan on a computer with it, it finishes in 3 seconds, unless I update before scanning, then it really scans everything. This would be nice because a wired connection is nessecary to update when in sysrescue and that is not always available. And even if you update, it doesn't save the updates if you use a usb key, so after reboot(or with another computer you have to update all over again. So including the virus definitions when creating a sysrescue would be very nice, and saving updates on a sysrescue usb key would also be very nice if possible.

25. kwewukwahu

kwewukwahu Registered Member

1. Stronger firewall and HIPS protection. ESET should have firewall as strong as Comodo or Kaspersky.

2. Security vunerability detection. Such as Windows software being out of date like how Kaspersky detects.

3. Password Safe. To hold passwords which can be automatically entered on websites.

The last two are just minor improvements, the main factor I would like to see is a far stronger firewall to meet leading firewalls performance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.