ESET Personal Firewall v1054 released

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by agoretsky, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

A new firewall module for ESET Smart Security has been released. ESET Personal Firewall module (v1054, build date 20091015) contains the following changes:

In the user interface, a new section under Setup → Personal Firewall → IDS and Advanced Options is now available named Vista/Windows 7 Services. In this section, the following new options are available:
    • Add IPv6 addresses from Local network to the Trusted Zone (fe80::/64)
    • Allow Web Services Discovery (WSD) in the Trusted Zone
    • Allow multicast address resolution in the Trusted Zone (LLMNR)
    • Windows 7 homegroup support
    In addition to the features added to support Microsoft Windows 7, two new features have been added in the Zone setup:
    • Addresses excluded from active protection (IDS) - Here you can enter the IP addresses of devices to exclude which perform unusual behavior that can produce attacks, but are otherwise trusted. An example of this is certain brands of residential broadband gateway routers and network printers which perform port scans in order to enumerate hosts on the network subnet. This behavior can be evaluated as an attack and blocked in some circumstances.
    • Addresses allowed to receive a notification about the unavailability of TCP/UDP ports - IP addresses listed here will receive an RST from ESET Personal Firewall if a connection at the attempted port is blocked.
    Users of ESET Smart Security do not need to perform any special activity to obtain the new module. It will be downloaded automatically the next time the software performs a virus signature database update.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

2. MuffPotter

MuffPotter Registered Member

Hm, after reinstalling ESS today it doesn't update the firewall module although i received already two signature updates.

3. Gonzakpo

Gonzakpo Registered Member

Same here.

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

nothing here, same firewal,l same crash on restart. maybe good to post this after servers have been updated. back to nod 32!

5. gonzo3000

gonzo3000 Registered Member

16 hours has passed and still nothing of firewall update.

6. stratoc

stratoc Guest

actually i still got 4 months license with another solution that comes with firewall, i'll give that a try as forum doesnt report any problems with windows 7 unlike eset.

7. a3_alin

a3_alin Registered Member

SAME.... Whyo_O

8. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

I only get firewall module 1054 if I enable pre-release updates.

If I disable this option and do an update then the firewall module reverts back to 1051 :(

9. MuffPotter

Yes, the same here.

But i remember that i get the update yesterday. Due to other computerproblems i had to reinstall ESS today and now don't get it again. Only when i enable pre-release updates but it reverts back to 1051 when i disable this option.

So what is it Eset? Is it still a pre-release or is it released?

10. Handries

Handries Registered Member

So far I did not receive this latest release either, as I still got module 1051.
    Since I'm using ESS version 3.0.694.0 which does not allow pre-release updates, I'm wondering if this update also applies to this build.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I have it but, I also have Pre-Release checked for updates.

12. agoretsky

Hello,

The module update has been released, but its distribution is being staggered so it is delivered to a small percent of customers at this time. That way, in the event a problem is found that was not uncovered in the past few weeks of testing, the issue can be quickly resolved. As the roll-out goes smoothly over the next few days, the percentage of updates including this module update will be increased gradually to 100%.

Keep in mind that although this module has been tested extensively for many weeks now, there is always the possibility of a conflict with another program or configuration that was not seen during testing, or a recent update or new version of a popular application or operating system.

When a module update occurs, the goal is not just to add new features or functionality, but to fix bugs and provide customers with an experience which is just as good as—or better than—the previous module.

Please be patient as this update rolls out over the next few days. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. MuffPotter

Thanks for that explanation Aryeh.
    So it's not that "it will be downloaded automatically the next time the software performs a virus signature database update" but it will be distribute the way you described it now. Ok, so it is not a failure that we didn't received it so far we are just at the end of the waiting line.

14. kruz

kruz Registered Member

Is it posible that a client gets new firewall module through ERAS?, or client must get updates directly from eset servers to get this new firewall module (update automatically)?

15. agoretsky

Hello,

Yes, when ESET Remote Administrator Server receives the updated module, it will pass it to client systems, just as it would a virus signature database update.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

16. no_idea

no_idea Registered Member

Hello,
    after the (automatic) upgrade to the new firewall module 1054 (up from 1051) ESS asks permission for every program querying the DNS-servers - not that I would mind.
    I have created a new rule for the "DNS Servers" zone which I would like to grant to all the allowed apps. However, I somehow got lost in the nether fields of the rule editor.
    What I would like to see is an option to add already granted programs to this rule instead of having to repeat the same entries over and over again.
    Please keep in mind that leaving the "DNS Servers" rule open to all apps is no option in my opinion.

I'm sure, I have overlooked an important thing here - any help is greatly appreciated.

17. robis

robis Registered Member

Hello

how do I get firewall 1054? It is from normal update or should i tick test update?
    becauase I still have firewall 1051.
    I have Vista 64b

18. Scotto

Scotto Registered Member

Hello Robis,
    If you are using V4 and tick test update you will get version 1054. After you tick it, click the update button.
    Regards,
    Scotto.

19. robis

robis Registered Member

ok now I understand thank you. I will wait for official release.

20. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

I don't have 1054 either.
    Is it only for Windows 7 users?
    What is "tick test update"o_Oo_O??

21. MuffPotter

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  22. stratoc

stratoc Guest

it's a week after the release was announced. is this included in the download now or still beta?

23. prefect

prefect Registered Member

This release is bit odd. I don't have it either and I'm using windows 7. Whats the timetable of everybody getting this from the autoupdate?

24. prefect

prefect Registered Member

Now it updated to 1054.

But I got checked in settings "ask before downloading program components". And it didn't ask anything.o_O

25. Handries

Handries Registered Member

Mine updated as well today, but I did have to manually click on "Update".
    And afterwards a little window appeared notifying me that new component updates had been installed.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.