Mission Accomplished! (FD-ISR & WINDOWS 7)

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by pandlouk, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

It is enabled by default. Simple, right click at cmd.exe and select run as administrator. Then run the bootsect command with the vista

Sorry I thought it was a boot manager. :p
    In the first sector of your active partition; You do not have to use other tools. The bootsect.exe of vista is enough... but you'll have to run it as admin....

Panagiotis

2. pandlouk

OK. Now simple enjoy it. :D ;)

And remember to reenable UAC... although you did not have to disable it, the reason MS has included the "run as administrator" shell context when you right click on a file.

Panagiotis

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  3. Egelie

Egelie Registered Member

Panagiotis,

my thanks is written on the page before.

I have read something about the UAC in the monthly computermagazine.
    I thought Microsoft had it made easy for that use in Windows 7.
    But it looks not.
    After the first outputs of bootsect.exe there where no message, you have to run in administrator level or something.
    That's a mistake from microsoft.
    You have used the beta's of windows 7. i not.
    So you know this all. i not.

Again very thanks for the solutions.

So it looks easy for Todd to update firstDefence -ISR.

Frits

4. pandlouk

You are welcome Frits. :)

I guessed that you were not familiar, yet, with vista or 7 that is why I pointed about the "run as administrator" extension shell. UAC will usually not display warnings when you run something from the command prompt; and I agree they should display a warning/notification in these cases.

Panagiotis

5. dlorde

dlorde Registered Member

The partition was originally formatted with default NTFS settings for Windows XP Pro, then I installed Windows 7 Pro from the retail DVD taking all the defaults (I don't recall it asking about formatting since it was already NTFS).

Having installed the Paragon Partition Manager and Backup & Rescue tools, I just tried to install FD-ISR again, and it now says "Boot Sector for the Windows System volume is an unknown type."

Is it possible to change the boot sector type to allow FD-ISR to install, and still boot with Windows 7 ? *puppy*

6. Polwhele

Polwhele Registered Member

In-place upgrade Vista to Windows 7 worked fine. I left FD-ISR (and all other apps) installed on the Vista system, ran Windows 7 upgrade, and FD-ISR is working fine, no tweaking required.

Clean install of Windows 7 to an empty drive (on a different PC) also worked fine. I reinstalled FD-ISR successfully using this method (appears in one of the earlier messages in this thread):

1. After installing 7 select to show the hidden system files and folders.
    2. Make a copy of the 'bootmgr' file in the root directory and rename the copy to 'ntldr'.
    3. Insert your windows 7 dvd, run cmd as admin and insert the command
    [dvddrive]:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT52 [system_drive]
    where [dvddrive]= the drive letter of your dvd
    and [system_drive]= the drive letter of your windows partition
    4. install FD-ISR.

Thanks to whoever provided that advice!

Regards,
    Peter

7. pandlouk

Have you read the thread? o_O
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1410356&postcount=5
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1413551&postcount=17
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1468056&postcount=66
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1469380&postcount=71
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1551369&postcount=116
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1566963&postcount=141

8. pandlouk

You are very welcome. :)
    You can also use the vista sp2 bootsect.exes for using the /nt60 command instead of /nt52.

Panagiotis

9. dlorde

dlorde Registered Member

Yes. The majority of the posts you just linked are not applicable to my situation (I don't have a Vista install disk, or the 100MB partition, or a pre-existing FD-ISR installation, and the last link is unintelligible to me). In the remaining link I didn't see any mention of the 'boot sector type' that I recognised, and I was reluctant to just change some detail and end up trashing my Windows 7 installation. As I said before, I am unfamiliar with these system details. Excuse my ignorance.

However, if running [dvddrive]:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 [system_drive]: is changing the boot sector type to one that is compatible with both Windows 7 and FD-ISR, I will try that. Thanks for the assistance.

10. pandlouk

Hi dlorde,
    I gave all those links because you also have encountered the active partition problem:

In the last one https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1566963&postcount=141 I had attached the necessary vista executables for modifing the partition bootsector.

Download those (BootsectVistax64sp2.zip.txt and BootsectVistax86sp2.zip.txt) and eliminate the ".txt". Then unzipp the one that you need (x64 if you have 7x64, or x86 if you installed the 7x86 version.
    Then type "cmd" (without the ") in the search tab of the toolbar, right click at the "cdm.exe" and select "run as administrator". Then run the command:
    [directory where you previously extracted the bootsect.exe]\Bootsect.exe /NT60 [system_drive]:

For example if you have extracted it at the d: you should run:
    d:\BootsectVistax86sp2\Bootsect.exe /NT60 [system_drive]:
    or
    d:\BootsectVistax64sp2\Bootsect.exe /NT60 [system_drive]:
    etc...
    (replace [system_drive] with the drive letter where the OS is installed)

I hope it's clear now.. :)

Panagiotis

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  11. dlorde

dlorde Registered Member

Wow, thanks Panagiotis - that's just what I needed (the guide for dummies) :cool:

I'll let you know how it goes :thumb:

12. dlorde

dlorde Registered Member

Well, thanks to Panagiotis, I now have FD-ISR installed on Windows 7 :D

It has found my original XP archives, but not the schedule. Unfortunately, when I try to create a new schedule, it gives me "Unknown user name or bad password" even if I create a custom admin user account just for FD-ISR.

Anyone got a fix for that?

13. pandlouk

Glad it worked.
    I never used the schedule of FD-ISR.

I suspect the problem, is related with UAC.
    Solutions:
    a) Right click on FD-ISR and select run as admin
    or
    b) Try to disable UAC, reboot and then try to create the schedule again... After that you can reanable UAC.

Panagiotis

14. dlorde

dlorde Registered Member

Thanks again Panagiotis - it worked a treat :cool: I guess I should have figured that one out myself, but I'm still getting to grips with the Windows 7 security...

As for the scheduler, I don't know how you manage without it - I have it do a bi-weekly snapshot and archive the previous week's snapshot, and a monthly archive of the last weekly, so I always have at least three or four recent snapshots, plus any manual ones for major alterations. It has saved my bacon a couple of times :thumb:

15. charincol

charincol Registered Member

Don't know if anyone's posted this particular result or not, but I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 onto a freshly formatted C: partition.

Then used the 64 bit version of bootsect.exe with the command "bootsect.exe /NT60 C:" and immediately installed FDISR on it.

Created an empty snapshot and installed XP Pro. Both are happy.:)

Thanks Panagiotis.

16. samy

samy Registered Member

Hi Panagiotis

IMHO this is one of the most important thread of this forum. You lead it as an expert and invested a lot of your time to assist every one who needed assistance.

Please , I would like to ask, if it's not an inconvenience for you, if you can generate a thread (may be a sticky one) which recapitulate all the instructions how to install Win7 on a PC having either windows XP or Vista together with FDSIR.

It may become a good tutorial for all "non PC techie" like many of us are.
    Based on a general overview I think that the relevant threads for this task may be:
    #66, 74, 116, 141, 148, 152/154 (UAC), 160

Thanks in advance.

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Acadia

18. pandlouk

Thanks for your kind words but, wouldn't it be better to wait and see if Todd and his team plans to update FD-ISR for 7?

In the meantime Peter or another of the mods can edit the first post to add direct links to those posts.

Panagiotis

19. iken

iken Registered Member

Thanks but is there any news when native support for windows 7 (32/64 bit) will come?

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There isn't even word IF it will come.

21. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

Of course, Todd does not owe anyone anything and he has most certainly gone WAY beyond the call to help the user of the old standard...

But I have a gut feeling based on one of Todd's postings that he "may", once again, offer up something.... but no guarantees for sure.

"Greetings,

To All Users, Supporters and Friends of FirstDefense: There will be a Windows 7 compatible version of FirstDefense-Rescue released in the near future through a new business partner. Please stand by for an announcement within the next 30 days.

Nov 17th Update: Things are moving a little more slowly than anticipated. However, in the very near future I will give you all the details of the new Rescue product and our new partner. Hopefully within the next 10 days. "

Obviously he is working on Win7 compatibility for the Rescue version and "may"... "may".... "may".... offer up something to us.

All I can say is THANK YOU Todd for everything you have done.

22. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Good summary :thumb:

23. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:doubt: No specific mention re FDISR as we know it...Hope springs :)

24. nme

nme Registered Member

I've read through this thread (more than once) and would like to clarify one thing before I try this... I currently have FD-ISR (the full version, not Rescue) installed on XP 32 bit, I would like to install 7 Pro into an empty snapshot. If I tell 7 not to create the second partition, am I good to go or do I still need to change my boot record as mentioned in this thread? Seems like one person said it worked without doing that?

25. nme

nme Registered Member

Nevermind, I did the Vista rescue disk thing and I think I'm good... Woohoo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.